Diamine Registrar's

bokaba

Diamine Registrar's Blue Black (G-Nib on Rhodia dot pad)

fpn_1579560004__post-134418-0-32468900-1

Dry time: about 10 seconds on Rhodia in non-flex writing, otherwise, up to several minutes

Flow: relatively dry

Lubricated: no

Waterproof: yes, heavy iron gall, probably FP ink with highest IG content available

Saturation: low

Color: medium/dark blue, then oxidize to dark black, on par with most dark blacks on the market; thinner lines may remain blue for several hours or days

Value: on the more expensive side at a minimum of $12 for 30ml

Bottle: standard inkwell design (also comes in larger 100ml refills).

Notes: this ink feels very old fashioned and similar to dip pen inks except being slightly thinner.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bokaba

• Jamerelbe

• Tom Kellie

• aurore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review! And a fabulous penmanship!

Thank you.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Thanks for the review - I have a bottle of this ink, but rarely use it because of the qualities you mention: not very well lubricated, relatively dry flow. It definitely has a place in the arsenal of someone using fountain pens for professional purposes (the waterproofness is pretty impressive!) - but I've found the Blackstone Barrister inks (with their micropigment formulation) to be more pleasant to write with. I hear Sailor's nano-pigmented black is the same (can't remember its name) - writes great, refuses to shift from the page...

Do you use Registrar's ink much? Or is it for you (as for me) an ink you only put into a pen for a specific purpose or occasion?

The photo does not match my experience with Diamine Registrars. I tried a sample of it early on and it oxidized to a washy blue grey. Great shading, but not more good to be said beyond that. :( Oh, and it's one of the few inks I've found that works on Post-it Flags (the plasticky ones) but then didn't have any lightfastness.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

To respond to a couple of comments, I really only have Registrar's to play around with as I am a fan of historic inks. My go-to permanent ink right now is Platinum Blue Black, which is also an iron gall, but doesn't perform like one.

Second, I think you may be having the gray issue because of the poor flow causes only a small amount of ink to be spread on the paper. The thicker, wetter the line is, the more likely it is to oxidize to a dark black (I had a similar experience with Salix).

~ bokaba:

Thank you for the review above.

The image of the handwriting sample is especially appreciated.

I also admire old-time inks.

Tom K.