Sailor Manyo Nekoyanagi

DrDebG

SAILOR MANYO NEKOYANAGI

Sailor created another line of inks, the Manyo line. The inspiration for this line of inks are flowers found in the Manyoshu, an ancient collection of Japanese poems.

The inks are presented in lovely square glass bottles and contain 50ml of inks. While the caps appear to be plastic, they are faceted for ease of opening. The opening of the bottle is 25mm in diameter and should fit most fountain pens.

Salor-Manyo-Ink-1.jpg?fit=624%2C340&ssl=

Now to the fun stuff! I first saw a review of this ink at mountainofinks.com (https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/sailor-nekoyanagi), and fell in love with the color and ordered a bottle from Pen Chalet.

Nekoyanagi is a lovely soft purple color. It is a soft, almost periwinkle shade. But what is truly wonderful about this ink is the way it shades into pinks, blues and turquoise. This effect is seen on more non-absorbant papers such as Tomoe River, with a lesser effect on Rhodia and HP copy paper.

fpn_1579414481__scan_of_hp_review_adj.jp

Scan of HP Copy Paper

Nekoyanagi is similar, but more purple and lighter in color than Pilot Iroshizuku Ajisai and also lighter but more blue than Graf von Faber Castel Violet Blue.

fpn_1579414461__tr_review_2mp.jpg

Photo Tomoe River 68gsm Cream paper

fpn_1579414437__tr_closeup_2.jpg

Photo Tomoe River 68gsm cream paper

fpn_1579414417__rhodia_closeup_2mp.jpg

Photo Rhodia paper

fpn_1579413873__4_reviews_2mp.jpg

The ink is very well behaved. It dries quickly but has minimal water resistance. While it is a wet ink, it is not excessively wet, and has a nice lubricated feel. It has little to no sheen, does not bleed on any paper I have used to date, and minimal showthrough even on lighter weight Tomoe River 52gsm.

I have used this ink in a variety of pens and have found it best suited to wider nibs. The lovely, multi-colored shading is enhanced in a wider nib. It is very nice in fine and extra fine nibs, but appropriately paler in color with less shading.

While it is a pale color, I found it perfectly suited for journal writing and note taking. It is also very pleasant to sketch and doodle with. To highlight the beauty of this ink, I did a very simple abstract with water and Nekoyanagi on Arches watercolor paper. (In case you didn't guess, I am no artist).

fpn_1579414378__abstract_2mp.jpg

Abstract on Arches 160lb watercolor paper

Finally, it is very easy to clean from your pen and does not stain the pen or converter.

I really enjoy everything about this ink. If you like the color, I highly recommend.

Edited by 5Cavaliers

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• Tom Kellie

• Uncial

• ENewton

The shading is so interesting! It's a pretty color, but seems very light. I like how the abstract on the watercolor paper turned out.

~ 5Cavaliers:

Thank you for introducing Sailor's Manyo line.

They're entirely unfamiliar to me.

The ink review above is very easy to understand.

I appreciate your care in preparing and posting it.

Tom K.

Great review, beautiful ink. Thanks! Never thought an ink (let alone a flower line) could show so much shading like a real tulip and/or rose indeed can. WOW!

:wub:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you all for your lovely posts.

Nekoyanagi is indeed a pale ink. But when I use it in my Tomoe River Seven Seas Crossfield notebook, the ink just comes alive. I love inks with multi-color shading and Nekoyanagi has it in "spades"!

While I won't use it for business purposes, except for my personal notes, I will use it for my daily journaling. And it is a lot of fun to sketch with.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Is it quite dry?

I do not believe it to be. In the pens that I have used it in, it appears moderately wet with some lubrication.

Here are a couple of closeups with two other pens, which I consider dry (Lamy) and very dry (Pilot Metropolitan):

fpn_1579485679__lamy_safari.jpg

fpn_1579485663__pilot_metro.jpg

Please also note that these photos were taken when the pens were just inked. The ink does darken a bit when it sits in the pen for a day or so.

Edited by 5Cavaliers

The ink does darken a bit when it sits in the pen for a day or so.

~ 5Cavaliers:

As it happens, a couple of fairly pale violet inks on my writing desk also behave as you've mentioned above.

After a day or two, they write conspicuously darker.

Thank you for adding the images above.

Tom K.

~ 5Cavaliers:

As it happens, a couple of fairly pale violet inks on my writing desk also behave as you've mentioned above.

After a day or two, they write conspicuously darker.

Thank you for adding the images above.

Tom K.

Thank you kindly Tom Kellie for your kind words. I have been surprised that I would like this ink as much as I do. I've ordered the other Manyo inks so it should be interesting to see if they behave as well as Nekoyanagi and Haha. Truthfully, I haven't enjoyed the Sailor Jentle inks as much as I hoped, so I have been a little reluctant to pay the top dollars for Sailor inks. But when I saw Nekoyanagi, I knew I had to get a sample at least. The sample wasn't possible so I bought the bottle as well as a bottle of Haha. I love them both.

Thank you for your review. I can tell you enjoy this ink :)

As you like it so much Im guessing youll also like Vinta Maskara 1890. Its a similar colour, but with very slightly more lilac. Has the same colour-shift & shading characteristics.

Have you tried Manyo HaHa yet?

Edit: ooops. didnt see your last post before posting mine :) Id like to hear your thoughts on HaHa .

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thank you for your review. I can tell you enjoy this ink :)

As you like it so much Im guessing youll also like Vinta Maskara 1890. Its a similar colour, but with very slightly more lilac. Has the same colour-shift & shading characteristics.

Have you tried Manyo HaHa yet?

Edit: ooops. didnt see your last post before posting mine :) Id like to hear your thoughts on HaHa .

I love Haha as well, and hope to do a similar review later this week. After getting both inks a couple of weeks ago, I loaded a bunch of pens and have been writing with them both all week. Again, a pastel color but the shading is incredible. I have heard that Yamabuki (yellow/orange) may be the same way. But I will have to wait for the others to arrive.

Thanks for this review. As others say, and is apparent, you passionately like this ink. It isn't my color but it led me to investigate the Manyo line more closely. And there are colors there such as Akebi, Kikyou, Kuzu, Sumire, and Yomogi that might be inks I would like. So once the weather warms up enough for me to risk shipping through the cold weather, I may well order some samples.

Thank you kindly Tom Kellie for your kind words. I have been surprised that I would like this ink as much as I do. I've ordered the other Manyo inks so it should be interesting to see if they behave as well as Nekoyanagi and Haha. Truthfully, I haven't enjoyed the Sailor Jentle inks as much as I hoped, so I have been a little reluctant to pay the top dollars for Sailor inks. But when I saw Nekoyanagi, I knew I had to get a sample at least. The sample wasn't possible so I bought the bottle as well as a bottle of Haha. I love them both.

~ 5Cavaliers:

Thank you for your comments above.

From your post above it seems that these inks are offered in both bottles and samples.

The concept of an ink sample is unfamiliar to me.

They're sold, as opposed to being given away?

They're sold in stationery stores, as opposed to ordered on-line?

Tom K.

~ 5Cavaliers:

Thank you for your comments above.

From your post above it seems that these inks are offered in both bottles and samples.

The concept of an ink sample is unfamiliar to me.

They're sold, as opposed to being given away?

They're sold in stationery stores, as opposed to ordered on-line?

Tom K.

They are ordered online and come in vials. Many people buy samples first, to help them decide whether to buy a bottle of a given ink.

They are ordered online and come in vials. Many people buy samples first, to help them decide whether to buy a bottle of a given ink.

~ ENewton:

How little I know!

This is the first that I ever heard of this.

Thank you for taking time to explain it.

To date, I've never seen a vial of ink.

Tom K.

Thank you, this ink is quite charming indeed. Sailor may just be the best ink brand around from what I see... my wallet isn't any happier tho. :lticaptd:

I just received Sailor Manyo Akebi, Sumire and Yonagi. Early this morning, as I rushed off to a meeting, I loaded Akebi in my Lamy Aion. Akebi is a rich dark berry red with a beautiful green golden sheen. It is close in color to Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo. I will probably do a review on these as soon as I get some time. I have tried the Sumire and Yonagi yet.