In Praise Of Sailor

Firecrest

New to this world, I have just two fountain pens and both of the Sailor: a black 1911s with medium nib and a red (sparkling) Promenade with fine nib. I love writing with both but especially the Promenade inked up with Okuyama, my current favourite ink. While I'm not intending to buy another pen in the immediate future, I wonder where to go from here. There is one particular aspect of the Sailor brand I really like and one that irks me. The feedbacky touch of Sailor nibs is, for me, brilliant. A year on from first writing with one I still find it thrillingly new. No surprise regarding the negative: ink capacity. I do ask myself why one has to spend so much more money to get a pen that doesn't need filling every other day.

So, where next? For that special nib feel should I just stay with Sailor? Or should I look elsewhere, Pilot, Platinum or even further afield for something that holds a practical load?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Firecrest

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Firecrest

• TheDutchGuy

• inkstainedruth

• SashK

I currently have only the Pro Color 500, previously owned a 1911S but was too small for me and sold it in the end.

Similar to you, love the character of the nib but the converter capacity is a joke. Yeah you can get a Realo but the capacity is still not satisfying enough for the jump in price.

I would say if you love the way Sailor pens feel, stick with them. Platinum has a specific feedbacky character to them also if you are interested but Pilot is the smoothest writer out of the 3. If you have the chance, try them at pen shows or a pen meet in your area before committing.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

Here's my thought.

When Conid gets back into production purchase a pen and a Sailor adapter from Flexiblenibs. Install your Sailor nib on a pen with 2.5 ml, or more capacity. :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

Once you get hooked on Sailor, it’s hard to find a pen that strikes you as “better.” Other pens offer different experiences, which is enjoyable.

Edited by TheDutchGuy

Pilot, Platinum and Sailor have all about 1ml ink capacity (cartridges and Pilot's con-70).

The max ink capacity cartridge wise is the long standard international at approx 1.5ml.

Though most brands' cartridge ink capacity is ca. 1ml, give or take a bit.

Most brands' converter ink capacity is ca. 0.5ml, the exception being the mentioned con-70.

Even piston fillers have only a capacity of 1-1.5ml.

You can only have massive ink capacities with eye droppers, which bring their own troubles (eg burping ink, possibility of the barrel unscrewing and leaking all ink out, not all pens can be used as eye droppers, eg Sailors can't) and vac fillers also have very good ink capacity, like the Pilot Custom 823.

There are many threads on fp ink capacity and which pen/cartridge can hold how much.

Here's my thought.

When Conid gets back into production purchase a pen and a Sailor adapter from Flexiblenibs. Install your Sailor nib on a pen with 2.5 ml, or more capacity. :D

I am deeply bothered by how easily you just showed up and spent a bunch of my money in advance.

I am deeply bothered by how easily you just showed up and spent a bunch of my money in advance.

My pleasure. I'm pretty good at doing the same for myself.

You can only have massive ink capacities with eye droppers, which bring their own troubles (eg burping ink, possibility of the barrel unscrewing and leaking all ink out, not all pens can be used as eye droppers, eg Sailors can't) and vac fillers also have very good ink capacity, like the Pilot Custom 823.

A couple of months ago, I bought an Opus 88 eyedropper. I've had no problems with burping, and it has a traditional Japanese shutoff valve, so little risk of leaking a lot of ink.

On the other hand, my Noodler's Charlie pen burps like crazy.

Here's my thought.

This, except save a lot of money and time and get an Opus 88 eyedropper that will take the flexible nib factory adapter.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Oh did nobody warn you when you joined the site that we're all shameless enablers here? My bad.... ;)

Back to the topic at hand. I have one Sailor pen, a Pro-Gear Slim Purple Cosmos. And I like it. But honestly I like my Pilot Metropolitan, too -- and it cost a whole lot less (I got mine back when the US price was still $15).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I would say if you love the way Sailor pens feel, stick with them. Platinum has a specific feedbacky character to them also if you are interested but Pilot is the smoothest writer out of the 3.

I've had similar experiences to Penzel. If you enjoy feedback, I would go for a Platinum 3776.

Easy solution: MOAAAR PEEENS.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Pilot, Platinum and Sailor have all about 1ml ink capacity (cartridges and Pilot's con-70).

The max ink capacity cartridge wise is the long standard international at approx 1.5ml.

Though most brands' cartridge ink capacity is ca. 1ml, give or take a bit.

Most brands' converter ink capacity is ca. 0.5ml, the exception being the mentioned con-70.

Even piston fillers have only a capacity of 1-1.5ml.

You can only have massive ink capacities with eye droppers,

Conid Mimimalistica/Regular have a 2.5 capacity, the Kingsize 3ml. Which is why I recommended that brand along with the adapter for the Sailor nib, as the OP would not have to fill it "every other day."

The Opus 88 (Demonstrator?) eyedropper zaddick mentioned also takes the adapter and has a capacity of 3ml.

Edited by Karmachanic

Much food for thought. CH 823 with a Sailor 21k f nib would be my preference but in the real world there seem to be a few interesting options too. Many thanks!

You'll get to love the mediocre converter capacity, I sure as hell do right now, after writing with a sailor for more than a few years now. You can use 2-3 different pens a week if you're an avid writer like myself, but my Mikado keeps writing for more than a week even when less than half full. The answer to almost every fountain pen question: buy moar pens lol

If you enjoy Sailor's feedback then I would recommend the following pens:

• 3776 Century with UEF, EF, SF and SM nibs.
  • Pilot Falcon with SEF, SF, SM and SB nibs (in that order, with SEF offering the most interesting feedback.)
  • Pilot Custom/Heritage series with PO, FA, SU and WA nibs. (The WA is on the smoother side of the spectrum but is still an interesting writing experience.)

If you are accustomed to Sailor's nib feel you will probably not find 'better' -- just different. But all the nibs I listed here have an interesting feel.

PS. Three of my favorite pens are the 823 FA, 823 WA, and 823 PO. They are costly to obtain in these configurations, but these pens offer interesting writing experiences with the massive ink capacity you're looking for.

PS #2. The Custom Heritage 92 which I own has an EF nib on it that came from a 91. It is a particularly amazing pen in this configuration, and Pilot's #5 EF has a slight softness to it that gives it a forgiving writing feel while the very fine tip results in interesting feedback. Great combo.

Edited by JunkyardSam

I have an uber-juicy Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear Broad. I LOVE IT! It burns through ink. To ink it up after cleaning I eye-dropper the converter, install it, then discharge the ink into the feed. The KoP feed holds about a converter's worth of ink. I then eye-dropper the converter full again. Since it writes only a handful of pages anyway before running out, I can usually refill my converter with eye-dropper around page 4 or 5 and keep going.

I have a Kaweco Sport with one of those small cartridges... but an EF nib. The cartridge must be similar in capacity than the Sailor converter... but my Sport writes all day without a fill-up.

Moral of story: if one wants a small converter to write all day, get an extra fine nib.

Way back in the day I created a super high capacity frankencartridge using stretchy parafilm tree-pruning tape, but the ink lasted longer than I wanted so I stopped using it.

41479985054_7ec3680a0c_b.jpg

41479984314_c9fa82ff30_b.jpg

If you enjoy Sailor's feedback then I would recommend the following pens:

• 3776 Century with UEF, EF, SF and SM nibs.

~ JunkyardSam:

I strongly agree with your suggestion above.

The SF nib on my 3776 Century provides superlative feedback.

BTW: I went to Medina Elementary School and Bellevue High School...long, long ago.

Tom K.

• 1 month later...

I never thought I would write this but I am quite addicted to Sailor and Platinum lately. In the past, I have returned and tuned (messed with the nibs) too many of these pens too many times.

Recently, I ordered some Sailor 14k EF, F and Platinum 3776 UEF and EF.

I am in pen heaven. These pens always write, deliver the promised fine lines at many different writing angles. Precision, if you like. Ink them with 'appropriate' inks and there won't be another boring moment. (To be fair and honest, this comes with 'feedback' and some noise against some rougher grain papers).

They favour and reward a steady, well-balanced hand.

Some previous experience makes me not tune/adjust the pens at all. After I examined the nib with a loupe and completely sure the tines are quite perfectly aligned - technically perfect, and the gap not too big, I started writing. And I could not stop.

I am also a big fan of pens that are not Japanese but these Japanese pens are quite another world - in a good way.

Now I am starting to think if I can like the Sailor M and B nibs.