The-Thinker

They are very different pens. Where the M1000 excels is the nib. The large size though I find makes it less practical for daily carry. I believe the M800 is more of a “keeper” just because it’s a bit more practical for daily use. Still, both are great and have their purposes.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N1003U

• BillH

• georges zaslavsky

• Bo Bo Olson

Well put, but then, I am also an M6xx fan. I like the M10xx very much, and I _think_ I like the M8xx, too, but the jury is still out, I need to use the pen more to decide.

I've been eyeing the 10xx while reminding myself that I'm already way over the limit of the reasonable amount of pens I can actually enjoy.

Note to self: Never go full hoarder!

As long as there are folks on FPN with more pens than you have, you don't "have a problem" and may continue to buy more of them.

Bill's Law of Collecting Anything - 2013

You're welcome! ;)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

As long as there are folks on FPN with more pens than you have, you don't "have a problem" and may continue to buy more of them.

Bill's Law of Collecting Anything - 2013

You're welcome! ;)

Hey, I like this law! :D

It means that I'm safe, cause I know a guy ...(not saying his name ;) ) that has way more pens than I do! :lol:

Mitto?

:lol:

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

M8xx for me, although I like the M1xxx for occasional use, and I really like my Newton Prospector with an M1xxx nib.

The M8xx is as nearly perfect size for my hand as I have found, and I keep going back to one or another of the several I have for letter writing and journaling.

To each his own!

A 600,posted a very, very well balanced medium-large light &nimble well girthed pen in many models, that will take a semi-flex '50-65 nib....will also take a '82-97 springy regular flex nib.....and the steel or gold plated springy narrow as vintage steel nib is an upgrade on the fat and blooby modern 600 nib.

I have a small W.Germany 600 and a modern 605.

My 605 with a '50-65 vintage factory semi-flex stub B is :notworthy1: :puddle: The 600 will fit a better nib....like a 400 will do. Better nibs IMO are the nice and springy semi-vintage '82-97 nibs and the '50-65 vintage nibs (these give you flair and line variation with out you having to do anything at all!!!!) They are not calligraphy letter drawing nibs) .

I had my modern round blobby semi-nail BB stubbed to 0.8/B that improved it a world....Still a giant step away from a semi-flex B.

(When brand new, I had swapped in a M for a BB nib, in I always knew it would be stubbed or made CI and I wanted enough nib width to chose how wide or narrow I wanted.)

The 800 nor 1000 will not take smaller nibs (nor each others)....so that leave out getting better nibs from other eras.

A 800 is not a well balanced pen, nor nimble. The W.Germany springy regular flex nib is a very good one, a tad more springy that the Germany '90-97 one. It is a classic tear drop nibbed pen, with a clean line.

Had it's very own thinner than regular '82-97 400/600 nib width..

...the 200/& semi-vintage 400 and small 400 sized 600 have vintage width....about 1/2 a width narrower than modern....and write with a clean line.

Oddly in it is longer, I find the 1000 to lay better in my hand up-posted of course, than the shorter 800.

The post '97 pens 400/600's semi-nail. 800 nail and 1000 regular flex all have double balls top and bottom with a thick tip of fatness so the ball point writer don't have to learn how to hold a fountain pen.

Those are butter smooth, and characterless. They do not write with a clean line.

The 200 is still a great nib and IMO the best one Pelikan now makes. Writes with a clean line.

There are Bock made 1000 nibs that are semi-flex how one tells that, I don't know. I went to my B&M ages and ages ago to check if the 1000 was semi-flex or springy regular flex as folks argued. That one in the B&M then was a Bock in it was a semi-flex nib. I had taken a good semi-flex nibbed pen with me to compare.

My 1005 is a fat and blobby springy regular flex Pelikan nib. Suspect the Bock 1000 to be fat and blobby too, in it was made to Pelikan specs. Didn't check, didn't know how fat and blobby modern Pelikans actually were back then, when I was still half to 3/4ths a noobie.

Thanks for this post. I captures very well a lot of my thinking on the 6xx/8xx/10xx Pelikan, and I agree that the current 200 nib is really good.

Some pen experts say that the M800 is the best pen in the world, I like mine a lot more than my M1000, I dont really enjoy the nib so much on the 1000. My plain black 800 has a perfect broad nib, a pleasure to use.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both and I prefer the M800. Its size is more comfortable. I like the stiffer nib. And I like the many different colours and variatios of this model.

Edited by Nyanzilla

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

Both good pens so, in the end, it comes down to your preferences.

For me... neither! The nib on anyone of them ruins the experience.

OK, I'll explain. The nibs on either the 800 or the 1000 models are on par with whatever is currently done by any other prestige brand (when they pass QA, at least). But then, every time I use one of them I can't think but "Oh, dear, if only Pelikan would have produced a nib of this size back in the fifties so it behave like the one from the 400 model..." (no wonder one of my go-to pens is an M215 with a gold nib from a 50's 400 model).

Then, with regards of ergonomics, I personally find the 800 to be "my" size on lenght and girth on the section, but I find it a bit unbalanced: a bit too top-heavy. They solved the balance problem with the M815 "metal stripes". In turn, the M815, while I find it perfectly balanced, may be a bit too heavy overall, specially for those that tend to use a lot of pens -for one pen only people, that's probably not a problem since it's not that heavy, just a matter of being accustomed to.

PS: In the end, being the M815 quite expensive (even "normal" M800 is not that cheap), me disliking most modern nibs, and I already owning more than enough piston fillers, I ended passing on Pelikan M8xx. I instead own a first-gen Parker Duofold Centennial: I got it considerably cheaper, basically same dimensions than the M8xx, better weight/balance, and cartridge/converter for when I find I could need it. There's still the nib "problem", but it's a friction fit, so I'm playing with the idea of adapting a vintage one (i.e.: a Waterman's number 5) some day in the future.

Edited by jmnav

After having had disastrous experiences with several M805s (nib QC problem and Pelikan getting rid of the black sheeps on some Amazon platforms, not all perhaps) last year,

i recently took the leap and acquired a M1005 F. I am bluffed. It writes beyond my expectations. Best unexpected purchase for a long time at way under 400$.

As for the size, M800s are preferable for EDC. Both pens fit my hand perfectly. I never post pens, by the way. You need both, just have the M800 nib checked before shipping.

As it has been stated many times before, the flagship M1000 has a semi flex nib in contrast with the M800.

i wish i owned a 1000 but unfortunately it never happened. after several test drives, i determined it was a little too much pen. i do however have an 800 (805 actually) i bought from richard binder several years ago and tuned by him before it was sent along to me. i just recently inked it after a long while of inactivity and all i can say it may be in my top 5 for nib perfection and comfort/balance. this was the only pelikan i kept over the years...i remember why now.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

• 2 months later...

Pre 1997 M800s had flex nibs and were great writers. The M1000 is a different game, a tad better than the m1000 but both are very good pens.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have two pre 1997 m800s with 18c flex nibs and two 2004 m1000s which are my favorite pens, tried several modern Pelikans whether m800s and limited edition and the nib is too stiff. Sole exception which had a great nib but which was a tad too flexy was the m1005 demonstrator.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time