What Are Your Favourite Metal Pens?

MuddyWaters

Among metal (based) pens, these come to mind

- GvFC PoTY : among the few that call my desk their home, have a metal shaft with bits and bobs sticking around them

- Caran d 'ache Varius - the entire series is fantastic

- Waterman exception and Carenes

- Duofold Prestige Centennial

- Porsche design P3135 - Solid

- Cross peerless 125 - City series

- Diplomat A+ series

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• MuddyWaters

• carola

• N1003U

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My favorite metal pen is a grail - the Waterman Man 100 in solid gold. In the meantime a Montblanc 146 Solitaire Geometric and any of the metal Waterman Carène models.

Vintage overlays & precious metal versions of MBs, etc.

Eversharp Coronet

Parker 51 and descendants. The 51 is the best of the lot.

Parker 75

Sheaffer Targa

Parker T1/ Pilot Myu(rex) / Parker 50

Pilot Custom steel

If i had to pick one to use, it would be the Targa; for the collection, the Coronet; and to flip, any of the solid gold numbers.

Of about 40 or so pens, about six are metal pens. My thing is weight. Most are what I consider too heavy. Of the six, two are Parker 45 Flighters. They and the True Writer Silver Anniversary are the ones that get the most use. The latter at 30 grams seems to be my hard cut off for weight. The only pen that gets regular use that is heavier is my Guider Capsule. And at 159 mm capped and 32 grams it didn't need to be metal to be heavy.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Just stopped by to say I've seen this thread pop up half a dozen times or so, and every time it does I always see "Mental Pens." Hmmm.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just stopped by to say I've seen this thread pop up half a dozen times or so, and every time it does I always see "Mental Pens." Hmmm.

Better this misreading than erroneously injecting an extra letter into the other word.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 4 weeks later...

Of about 40 or so pens, about six are metal pens. My thing is weight. Most are what I consider too heavy. Of the six, two are Parker 45 Flighters. They and the True Writer Silver Anniversary are the ones that get the most use. The latter at 30 grams seems to be my hard cut off for weight. The only pen that gets regular use that is heavier is my Guider Capsule. And at 159 mm capped and 32 grams it didn't need to be metal to be heavy.

I have ‘Flighter’ versions of the Parker 45, Jotter, Vector, Frontier, and Urban.

The Urban (2015, France) is a pen with an Inox coating over brass, so it is far heavier (38g?) than the rest.

My 45 (which is a 1970s ‘Made in England’ model) is heavier than my 2004 UK Jotter, and my 2010s Vector & 2 Frontiers (all of which were made in India by Luxor).

Any of those would suit you (weight-wise).

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I rather thought that I had posted in this thread before. Maybe it was one of those previous iterations. A mental error?

Anyway, there are a number of metal pens among my favorites, although not specifically because of the metal construction. Rather it's because they are slim, I like the styling and (nothing to do with being metallic) I like the way they write. My top three out of these would be a Pilot MYU, a Pilot Murex, and a Montblanc Noblesse Oblige.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I've had a Targa matte black and a stainless steel since the early 1980s, but my latest is a sterling silver Targa for our 25th wedding anniversary. Only this one has a gold nib.

Found this earlier post and, with great embarrassment, I must report that I had overlooked a marking on the pen that said it was silver plate. I contacted the seller and was assured that he thought it was sterling and offered to buy it back for full price. Shortly thereafter I replaced it with a genuine Parker Sonnet sterling silver fougere with a factory stub nib from a friend in our local pen club.

The black cherry Retro 51 EXT is another favorite.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I keep eyeing up a Diplomat Aero but every time I see one uncapped that step down turns me off.

Same here. A sacrifice to slick design, but then you have to write with it...

I'm not too fond of metal pens.

Usually they are too heavy for me.

I do own a few nonetheless, particularly some lighter ones.

The Aurora 88 BIG millerighe I was mentioning in my previous post is a nice one, it's not heavy, and the millerighe texture of fine lines makes it comfortable to hold, and non slippery, similarly to other guilloché.

fpn_1599339410__p1080949-3_aurora_miller

Same here. A sacrifice to slick design, but then you have to write with it...

I was rather sceptical of that step, too. But it turned out that for me it works just fine. I don´t have any issues with the Diplomat Aero and like it very much.

I love my Cross Townsends.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

I love my Cross Townsends.

Erick

Oh yea! I forgot I have a couple of those. I need to dig them out and use them for a while...nice pens!