Mont Blanc 149 Meisterstück With Leaking Barrel (Split Barrel)

mcmahonsport

My Meisterstück leaks where the barrel splits. How easy is it to seal this with beeswax, is it simple to separate? The red arrow shows the leak.

post-156331-0-31509200-1579012535_thumb.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tamiya

• ljmudit

• mcmahonsport

• Michael R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good lord, not you too? :( suffered same on weekend, had been meaning to start a thread.

Except mine is a 146, new to me but probably several decades experienced. Acquired late last year but only got around to cleaning then (in need of something to cheer me up) inking it up on the weekend. Wrote nicely but then noticed both my hands had inky fingers... no way I'm that messy with filling ink.

Big leak between section threads and window.

Wondering if that section is twist/screwed on? Or glued/welded :(

Very good pic that... have been trying to find pics of dissected barrel.

send it to MB for a level 1 service. $90.

Might have to, but firstly trying to get confirmed...

1, can't quite confirm Ozzie L1 price... probably A$160-180 I'm guessing

2, my 146 might be "vintage"? It's got full clear window not the striped. I like that big window :) that's what attracted me eye when I chanced across it at last year's pen show. Does MB still have same parts? Or will it be modernised to stripe window :(

oh &

3, if I'm gunna send it to MB service & they'll be swapping out new parts anyway... no harm me trying to patch it back myself first, eh?

:P

Before you do anything I suggest you contact Michael Knott at Hepworth Dixon Pens. He's got his website under that name.

Your two piece barrel needs to be sealed properly with the right kind of sealant. Some use clear silicone. MB uses it's own coloured mix.

Setting up a 149 is not a simple process. There has to be a vacuum in the barrel and all threaded components have to be sealed properly. Even the nib/feeder end has to be set up carefully. Sited the right way round with the collar. Michael can measure the vacuum in the barrel etc. He's an engineer by trade.

Even taking the pen apart can cause damage if not done properly. You have to have the right tools.

If you want peace of mind get an expert to sort it out.

Sealing with beeswax is simple, and I have used plain silicone with success too. Dismantling the pen can be tricky. I have had experiences where it was super easy (with the required tools), and some really bad experiences where the nib collar was stuck in the section. If you havent dismantled a 149 before then know that there are risks. All the best!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Before you do anything I suggest you contact Michael Knott at Hepworth Dixon Pens. He's got his website under that name.

Your two piece barrel needs to be sealed properly with the right kind of sealant. Some use clear silicone. MB uses it's own coloured mix.

Setting up a 149 is not a simple process. There has to be a vacuum in the barrel and all threaded components have to be sealed properly. Even the nib/feeder end has to be set up carefully. Sited the right way round with the collar. Michael can measure the vacuum in the barrel etc. He's an engineer by trade.

Even taking the pen apart can cause damage if not done properly. You have to have the right tools.

If you want peace of mind get an expert to sort it out.

Thank you for the heads up https://www.hepworthdixon.com/

Sealing with beeswax is simple, and I have used plain silicone with success too. Dismantling the pen can be tricky. I have had experiences where it was super easy (with the required tools), and some really bad experiences where the nib collar was stuck in the section. If you havent dismantled a 149 before then know that there are risks. All the best!

Thank you, I had hoped it was a simple matter of unscrewing the barrel and sealing with wax.

Good lord, not you too? :( suffered same on weekend, had been meaning to start a thread.

Except mine is a 146, new to me but probably several decades experienced. Acquired late last year but only got around to cleaning then (in need of something to cheer me up) inking it up on the weekend. Wrote nicely but then noticed both my hands had inky fingers... no way I'm that messy with filling ink.

Big leak between section threads and window.

Wondering if that section is twist/screwed on? Or glued/welded :(

Very good pic that... have been trying to find pics of dissected barrel.

The same for me. I have had the pen from new--and then one day--ink everywhere! Making it unusable. I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the pen, as the cap screws off when I put it in my inside pocket, and end up with an inky jacket.I had a Parker (brilliant pen), Pelikan (brilliant Pen), Mont Blanc Noblesse (brilliant pen)--this one falls short.

The same for me. I have had the pen from new--and then one day--ink everywhere! Making it unusable.

Is your 149 new enough to look like current production & good chance MB will have correct parts?

Subsequently did some more investigating on my wreck... yep big leak between capthreads and the window. Huge gusher when I expel a fully filled ink reservoir with the piston, nearly as much comes out the side as at the pointy end. :(

If I flex the pen like a banana bender, yep can see some daylight thru the crack at the seam between clear window & resin section. Looks like it's cracked halfway around; doesn't flex in the other direction.

Suspect it's likely to have suffered bring bent in someone's pocket fracturing the body, perhaps where the threaded clear part starts (assuming 146 also has a screwon section). I gave it a good hard try twisting section vs barrel, it's not unscrewing so it's still bonded tight.

Now waiting for it to properly dry out before any further investigation ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was facing similar leakage in my late 80s 149. I managed to shut the leakage using only silicon grease.

I used a tool to screw the unit back in as you may not be able to tighten it securely with your hands.

Edited by ljmudit

I used a tool to screw the unit back in as you may not be able to tighten it securely with your hands.

Tool to screw section to barrel?

Or the nib carrier module into the section?

Tool to screw section to barrel?

Or the nib carrier module into the section?

Hi Tamiya,

I purchased a nib unit removal tool from here - https://pentooling.com/toolsmontblanc.html. After applying silicon grease on the threads, barrel lip and over the nib unit itself, I screwed them all in using my hands first and later on used this tool to tighten the unit securely. I made sure to use it very gently so as not to crack the collar which I have been advised is very delicate.

So far I have managed to shut off the leak and its working absolutely fine. Lets hope it stays so for at least another year to make this noob job a successful one :P

Edited by ljmudit

I wish I could help! I just sold a leaky 149... I'm now trying to find someone who can find/repair a leaky Marcel Proust. MB claims it honors only a 24-month warranty, and its repairs start at $99, which seems a bit rich considering its value. Can you provide the name of someone who can help me?

I wish I could help! I just sold a leaky 149... I'm now trying to find someone who can find/repair a leaky Marcel Proust. MB claims it honors only a 24-month warranty, and its repairs start at $99, which seems a bit rich considering its value. Can you provide the name of someone who can help me?

I thought you get a lifetime warranty with special/writers edition pens? Or have I read it wrong?

Montblanc LE do not come with lifetime warrenty. A few years ago Montblanc HQ repaired my Proust for c. 250 €. Prices might have gone up by now. They will replace the inner resin barrel. Only way to go if you want an original pen.

Otherwise you can find independent pen makers/repair person who can make a new inner barrel and section on a lathe.

Cheers

Michael

...A few years ago Montblanc HQ repaired my Proust for c. 250 €. Prices might have gone up by now. They will replace the inner resin barrel....

Price for Montblanc's repair of damage caused by their defective design was $460 five years ago. I cannot imagine the charges have remained the same. See here for the full story. As handsome as the Proust is (one of MB's best), I sold it with its freshly-installed barrel (under the sterling overlay) because it is an uncomfortable pen to write with. Otherwise, it would have been a keeper.