• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• DrDebG

• inkstainedruth

• timotheap

Thank you Tom - it's great to see so many inks together. Can you smell the different perfumes easily as you write or do you have to sniff your paper? I suppose it doesn't last long?

(the Montblanc Single Malt looks gorgeous....)

Timo

Thanks for this excellent comparison. Especially the use of two completely different pens plus a nice description of the actual scents. I mean, like orange isn't just an "orange". And the note that some (if not most) are rather faint and/or unobtrusive. Some of my favourite (and otherwise most meritorious) scented inks from De Atramentis are too strong and even off-tone.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you for the beautiful presentation, it's a pleasure to watch and to read. The color of vetiver green is very intriguing and unique.

Thank you Tom - it's great to see so many inks together. Can you smell the different perfumes easily as you write or do you have to sniff your paper? I suppose it doesn't last long?

(the Montblanc Single Malt looks gorgeous....)

Timo

~ Hi, Timo!

Yes! Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Single Malt ink is gorgeous.

It's well behaved in both slender nibs and the broadest nibs.

None of the inks shown above stained ink windows.

Most of the scented inks are perceptible while writing, but not overpoweringly so.

There's no need to sniff the paper. The scent persists for days, long enough to be appreciated by the recipient of correspondence.

These are faint fragrances which aren't at all obtrusive, but rather add a trace of scent to heighten the writing experience.

Thank you for your kind comment and interest.

Tom K.

Thanks for this excellent comparison. Especially the use of two completely different pens plus a nice description of the actual scents. I mean, like orange isn't just an "orange". And the note that some (if not most) are rather faint and/or unobtrusive. Some of my favourite (and otherwise most meritorious) scented inks from De Atramentis are too strong and even off-tone.

~ lapis:

It's very kind of you to notice and comment on this thread. Thank you.

None of the nine scented inks I presented above is too strong.

They're all mild, reasonably close to their respective descriptions, and easy to use on a daily basis.

For my writing, the scents serve as the gentlest of accents to correspondence.

Showing them together, it was possible to display the pleasing range of color tones available in scented inks.

Tom K.

Thank you for the beautiful presentation, it's a pleasure to watch and to read. The color of vetiver green is very intriguing and unique.

~ Eclipse157:

You're very kind. Many thanks.

The Vetiver Green is an especially pleasing ink.

To my great surprise, my tough boss noticed and liked Vetiver Green, praising the distinctive scent.

Tom K.

I haven't had a lot of luck with scented inks. I really love De Atramentis Rose and rather like Herbin Scented Rose. But most of the samples I've gotten have either had no scent to speak of, or have been just awful (De Atramentis Patchouli being a notable example of the latter).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I haven't had a lot of luck with scented inks. I really love De Atramentis Rose and rather like Herbin Scented Rose. But most of the samples I've gotten have either had no scent to speak of, or have been just awful (De Atramentis Patchouli being a notable example of the latter).

~ inkstainedruth:

I'm sorry that you've had unfavorable experiences with scented inks.

You've written with Herbin Parfum Rose ink?

That's been unavailable here. I'm hoping that a bottle may arrive at a local retailer in 2020.

The scented inks on my writing desk were collectively the happiest ink surprise of 2019.

I'd not expected them to be so well-balanced, colorful, and trouble-free.

Thank you for your comment above, which adds to my desire to acquire another Herbin scented ink.

Tom K.

Thank you for this interesting presentation.

I have thus far avoided scented inks, because in my experience with scented products of other kinds, the scent is often very strong and bears little resemblance to what the label would suggest. I like the idea that a person who opens a letter written with one of these inks is greeted by a subtle whiff of fragrance.

Thank you for this interesting presentation.

I have thus far avoided scented inks, because in my experience with scented products of other kinds, the scent is often very strong and bears little resemblance to what the label would suggest. I like the idea that a person who opens a letter written with one of these inks is greeted by a subtle whiff of fragrance.

~ ENewton:

My unvarying experience with the nine scented inks discussed above has been that they're mild in all respects.

They're each true to their names, not one of them is anywhere close to overwhelming, and they're all well-behaved in nibs of various dimensions.

What surprised me was how subtle they are. Both Herbin and Montblanc have developed fragrant inks which are understated, yet with enough of a presence to be perceptible.

As my boss liked them, they're suitable for tough, roustabout types. Subtle whiffs of refreshing fragrance is what they offer.

Thank you for your comment.

Tom K.

Tom -

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful representation of scented inks.

I feel like I have been watching one of my cooking shows where the chef talks of the aroma of the food being prepared, and I am frustrated that I can't savor the experience as well.

Your description and writing sample of Montblanc James Purdey is quite enticing. I may have to purchase a bottle when I find one.

But I am especially intrigued by J. Herbin Encre Ambre Parfum Orange. You mentioned that it smells like orange groves. I grew up very near to orange groves. There is no other scent that triggers such compelling memories for me. I simply love that fragrance. And I I will have to order some.

Thank you again!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Tom -

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful representation of scented inks.

I feel like I have been watching one of my cooking shows where the chef talks of the aroma of the food being prepared, and I am frustrated that I can't savor the experience as well.

Your description and writing sample of Montblanc James Purdey is quite enticing. I may have to purchase a bottle when I find one.

But I am especially intrigued by J. Herbin Encre Ambre Parfum Orange. You mentioned that it smells like orange groves. I grew up very near to orange groves. There is no other scent that triggers such compelling memories for me. I simply love that fragrance. And I I will have to order some.

Thank you again!

~ 5Cavaliers:

Yes, the fragrance of Herbin Encre Ambre Parfum Orange is of the orange groves, rather than the ripened fruit.

It's a refreshing fragrance which brings to mind driving up towards Sequoia National Park in California.

The wafting orange blossom scent is a thrill, just as seeing that regions many hummingbirds.

If a bottle ever comes your way, I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as I have.

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Tom K.

Your delightful presentation has sold me on the Purdey & Sons. I just mentioned in another thread I was trying to decide if I wanted to spend that much on an ink. Now I think I shall. . .

Have you (or anyone else in this thread) tried the Purdey & Sons Cigar scent, by chance? I am interested in that one, too, as it's a different shade of brown as best I can tell. (meaning I could justify having both, if I try hard enough!)

Edited by NumberSix

Your delightful presentation has sold me on the Purdey & Sons. I just mentioned in another thread I was trying to decide if I wanted to spend that much on an ink. Now I think I shall. . .

Have you (or anyone else in this thread) tried the Purdey & Sons Cigar scent, by chance? I am interested in that one, too, as it's a different shade of brown as best I can tell. (meaning I could justify having both, if I try hard enough!)

~ NumberSix:

Thank you!

It's very good to know that you're considering Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Single Malt.

At present, in the area where I work and live, Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Cigar hasn't yet been made available.

If you happen to add it to your inks, I'd be interested in reading about your experience in writing with it.

Tom K.

What a delightful and informative post, Tom!

Thank you for sharing.

I have never considered scented inks before.

But now I'm intrigued and may have to try some.

• 1 month later...

A quick update from our friend, Tom Kellie, who is locked away in CoronavirusLand:

Every day I think of FPN friends, especially in the Montblanc, Pelikan and Inks Forums.
The fountain pens on my writing desk are in daily use. I’m surprised to find that I like Herbin scented inks more with repeated use.
As shopping malls are closed here, the local suppliers of inks, paper and fountain pens are currently unavailable.
My supplies are more than adequate, therefore I’m able to enjoy both sketching and writing.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks for posting the update, 5Cavaliers -- good to know that he's still okay.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for posting the update, 5Cavaliers -- good to know that he's still okay.

You are very welcome, Ruth. While times are challenging there, hope is on the horizon.