Buying Pens For Special Occasions

Misfit

I remember when I finished my first book; it took me 3 years, but well worth the struggle. I celebrated with a Pelikan M200, classic black.

Then I decided I'd read another. ;)

Sean :D

I just put my 5th novel for sale and expect to publish 3 more this year. If I celebrated each book with a nice pen I sure would go broke ;) That is in addition to the pens I would have bought anyways... Guess I could say the pen I just got was to celebrate it!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• corniche

• inkstainedruth

• Arkanabar

On trips. It holds a nice memory. I'm sure there's a name for it in pyschology circles.

expensive souvenir??

:lticaptd: just kidding, I do that all the time too...

Edited by sansenri

• 2 weeks later...

The KC Chiefs won the Super Bowl. I am going to get an Edison Beaumont C/C pen in Molten Ores with a 1.1mm italic nib to mark that.

Okay, I was recently planning on getting it anyway, but now it will have a meaning attached to it. I love that color pattern of Molten Ores.

Posted Image

The KC Chiefs won the Super Bowl. I am going to get an Edison Beaumont C/C pen in Molten Ores with a 1.1mm italic nib to mark that.

Okay, I was recently planning on getting it anyway, but now it will have a meaning attached to it. I love that color pattern of Molten Ores.

KC was my choice, too.🥳 You should get it engraved. 👍

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Glad to have you with us. I’m a lifelong Missourian, and live in a KC suburb.

So what would you suggest to engrave on the pen?

Posted Image

Glad to have you with us. Im a lifelong Missourian, and live in a KC suburb.

So what would you suggest to engrave on the pen?

Hi Misfit,

How about:

KC CHIEFS SB LIV

TBH, Kansas was my choice between the two teams that made it this year. I'm not an avid football fan, but by region, my allegiance would be be between the Browns and the Steelers. :D

Sean :)

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

I think the special occasion of a limited edition of this or that pen model being released should be marked by a purchase of such, if you happen to like the look of it, haha!

I select certain pens to carry with me and/or use for particular occasions — e.g. a 100th Anniversary commemorative limited edition (and there were more than one from which to choose) for my wedding late last year, on account of the common saying (or well wishes) of "百年好合" in Chinese (literally "happy union for a hundred years") for newly married couples — but I don't tend to buy new pens to mark special occasions after the event. Which pen to have/use is just another little detail to be considered and arranged for in advance, in the name of event/project management.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hi Misfit,

How about:

KC CHIEFS SB LIV

TBH, Kansas was my choice between the two teams that made it this year. I'm not an avid football fan, but by region, my allegiance would be be between the Browns and the Steelers. :D

I didn't know a lot about the Chiefs. But I think of them as sort of the underdog (although I gather they actually may have had a better record than the 49ers). Mostly we fast forwarded through the game to watch the commercials -- although the game was pretty exciting and close until close to the end.

Seriously, though? Your allegiance is between the Browns and the Steelers? :o You do know that the way to taunt Browns fans, right? "One for the OTHER thumb...." The only thing weirder would be someone who rooted for the Yankees AND the Red Sox.... B)

I remember the year the Red Sox and the Mets were in the World Series and the tv station my parents watched for late news (because it came on at 10 PM instead of 11 PM) sent a reporter out to ask Yankees fans who they were going to root for.... I was staggered to hear how many people said they would actually root for the Red Sox.... I was watching the interview and going "Are these people NUTS?"

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Back on topic. Does retail therapy count as a "special occasion"? Because that's the excuse I'm using on taking the plunge on a Pelikan M600 Violet and White that I'd been watching on eBay, after a HORRIBLE few days dealing with "technology"....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I didn't know a lot about the Chiefs. But I think of them as sort of the underdog (although I gather they actually may have had a better record than the 49ers). Mostly we fast forwarded through the game to watch the commercials -- although the game was pretty exciting and close until close to the end.

Seriously, though? Your allegiance is between the Browns and the Steelers? :o You do know that the way to taunt Browns fans, right? "One for the OTHER thumb...." The only thing weirder would be someone who rooted for the Yankees AND the Red Sox.... B)

I remember the year the Red Sox and the Mets were in the World Series and the tv station my parents watched for late news (because it came on at 10 PM instead of 11 PM) sent a reporter out to ask Yankees fans who they were going to root for.... I was staggered to hear how many people said they would actually root for the Red Sox.... I was watching the interview and going "Are these people NUTS?"

ETA: Back on topic. Does retail therapy count as a "special occasion"? Because that's the excuse I'm using on taking the plunge on a Pelikan M600 Violet and White that I'd been watching on eBay, after a HORRIBLE few days dealing with "technology"....

Hi Inkstainedruth,

It all started when my German mother from Troy Hill, Pittsburgh, met my Irish dad, from the West side of Cleveland - and ended up getting married. :)

Btw, I've always believed wrestling with modern technology and surviving it, entitled you to something- why not a Pelikan? :D

Mind if I call you just Ruth?

Hi Inkstainedruth,

It all started when my German mother from Troy Hill, Pittsburgh, met my Irish dad, from the West side of Cleveland - and ended up getting married. :)

Btw, I've always believed wrestling with modern technology and surviving it, entitled you to something- why not a Pelikan? :D

Mind if I call you just Ruth?

Well, I will concede that Cleveland DOES have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (although I DON'T recommend going Labor Day weekend -- the year my husband and I went, there was an air show and parking in the area was HORRIBLE; we ended up having to park at one of the Browns' stadium peripheral lots, and walking past the ship that you can tour and the Science Center -- and then at the end of the day had to walk all the way BACK, which was the equivalent of several blocks each way). And the Museum of Art there has a much better medieval collection, overall, than the Carnegie does (and some oddball pieces that I've never seen in the Met/the Cloisters in NYC or at the Gardner Museum in Boston -- like the table fountain).

OTOH, I don't think that any of Pittsburgh's rivers has ever caught FIRE....

Yeah, I've been in Troy Hill a couple of times. The first time was when I first moved to Pittsburgh from the greater NYC area, and made the mistake of driving down Rialto Street.... :o First time in my life I put the car into second gear when it wasn't snowing out....

(And yeah, "Ruth" is fine. But the question reminds me of when I was a freshman or sophomore in college, the first class I had with the professor who was my original advisor. He told people in the class "You can call me 'Professor Morris', or you can call me 'Mr. Morris', or you can call me 'Bob', or you can call me R --uh, no, you CAN'T call me 'Rusty'...." :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ruth. I get buying pens after stressful events. The stressful events in my life are not ones I want to mark. I think of it as I deserve this instead.

I really doubt I’ll consider the Edison Beaumont as a special occasion pen. For the sports teams, I bought them before the championship game(s).

Posted Image

I remember buying pens for myself in several major and important event in my life ; and a number of them go on to serve me for decades with sterling service rendered .. I still lament the lost of my no frill burgundy Montblanc 114 Mozart after it got 20+ years of daily EDC use

I don't buy pens any more. My wife does it for me. Y'all may have seen the list of Christmas pens I posted elsewhere on this site. A black Jinhao X450 has since been added to that haul.

So, of course, she did it again for St. Valentine's day. The list includes a GT Dryden Design flighter, a pretty Beiluner (another flighter with CT on all hardware, including, alas, the section -- no branding anywhere, though), six different Jinhao X750s (ivory, purple, some sort of textured black thing, and metallic lacquer in gold, copper, and silver), a Jinhao 911 with a dragon engraved, and Pilot Metropolitans in Classic Black and White Tiger, and also some ink -- 5 packs of Jinhao carts in six different colors, 30ml bottles of Thornton Oxblood and Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, and a 4.5oz bottle of Heart of Darkness (complete with black cap Charlie).

I do occasionally entertain the thought of getting either a Lamy 2000, a Pilot Custom 74 or Custom Heritage 92 or a Platinum Century 3776 on passing the NCLEX.

And yesterday a couple more showed up -- an M200 in blue, and an M205 in black. All the others may be PIFfage, but the Pelikan M20x is one of my absolute favorite pens of all time. And now I have so many that I no longer have any excuse for not carrying them (except, of course, for wanting to use up all the Bad Black Moccasin -- which can be put into the Charlie, now that the blue "Nikita" eyedropper is cracked).

I've done it three but two of those are really expensive souvenirs as previously mentioned. A van gogh after visiting the van gogh museum in Amsterdam and a pelikan while in Berlin. The other time was a special occasion....my wife got me a nakaya for my 65th birthday