• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• NeverTapOut

• Joane

• Estycollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perfect and beautiful! Thanks for sharing that experience and the result. It is also my philosophy to listen to my pens and give them the ink they request. Pens are very communicative, in more ways than just writing!

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

What a wonderful display of pen, ink, and paper! Ive always enjoyed your posts of the Hemingway and the exquisite photography.

I also have a Hemingway. Please, tell us more about the nib and the paper.

Thanks!

The nib of my Hemingway is a generous extra-fine (others would qualify it as a skinny fine), and the original sticker on the white cardboard box was marked EF. As it is true for many of the no. 9 nibs mounted in the Hemingway, it is not a flexible nib, but it is not stiff either, and with a little pressure it it is quite a good nib to write Business Spencerian.

The paper is a fantastic 100 gr laid paper by Hahnemühle, called Ingres. It is a mould-made paper, produced on a cylinder mould with deckled edges, with a fine-ribbed and toothy surface, which remind me of the late 18th century papers. It is mostly sold for dry drawing and painting techniques, but I like it for writing. Compared to other laid Ingres papers (like those by Fabriano or Clairfontaine), it is softer, a bit like a fabric. Individual sheets of about 50 X 70 cm are deckle-edged on all four sides, whilst pads only have a two-side deckle edge. Pads are available non only with white but also in a mix of nine different colors: bright white, white, ivory, antique, yellowish, brown, mouse grey, middle grey and grey brown. I like any of the colors for different uses, including writing.

Thanks for this post. I eagerly read it because I recently bought a Montblanc Hemingway (F Nib). I have not inked it yet because I have been mulling over ink brand and color options. Glad to see your like reflective process. Enjoy!

Always amazed by your handwriting.

(Also a bookmark to come back and try to use these as learning material :D )

[...] It is also my philosophy to listen to my pens and give them the ink they request. Pens are very communicative, in more ways than just writing!

As we say about dogs, which over time end up resembling their owners, so even pens are born all the same but in the end they take on a "family aspect" ... I never cease to amaze myself, when I see pictures of pens in our forums, how each one represents his own pen in a very personal way, which is reflected in his photographs.

Yes, of course, the pens develop their own personality, and it is enough for them to change the color of the ink to take on a different aspect and "communicate" in a distinct way.

Ourstanding handwriting, ink, and pen. :) Thank you for you post.

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Thanks for this post. I eagerly read it because I recently bought a Montblanc Hemingway (F Nib). I have not inked it yet because I have been mulling over ink brand and color options. Glad to see your like reflective process. Enjoy!

Do not forget to tell us which one you will eventually decide for... maybe with a photo of your Hemi in action!!

Hardly anything pleases and interests me more than seeing that a new post by fpupulin is available. I know that I will be seeing superb pens, inks, and papers, all arranged in exquisite taste and photographed with matchless expertise using Hasselblad equipment and lenses. How can we not be delighted?

The match between the Montblanc Hemingway and R&K Sepia is made in heaven. As luck would have it, I am in possession of both and will try the combination soon.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Hardly anything pleases and interests me more than seeing that a new post by fpupulin is available. I know that I will be seeing superb pens, inks, and papers, all arranged in exquisite taste and photographed with matchless expertise using Hasselblad equipment and lenses. How can we not be delighted?

The match between the Montblanc Hemingway and R&K Sepia is made in heaven. As luck would have it, I am in possession of both and will try the combination soon.

Dear pen pal, nothing is better than being stimulated to come back to something you already own, which is waiting for you in a drawer just across the room... It is like having something new, but without having to pay for it! Enjoy your pen in great health.

Super nice posting (and pen), as always! I'll buy a bottle for my own Hemingway.

KAC

You will not be disappointed. It is not a "spectacular" ink, but I found it a winner for my Hemingway.

Edited by fpupulin

I do like sepia inks and I've been tempted by this many times but never pulled the trigger. Maybe its just that it's in a Hemi that makes me think I really should get it now - and the paper of course

Ok Hemingway fans. Heres my question for you...

Should I have my factory Hemingway medium nib tuned to a fine?? Or is that a mistake? I am a user and less concerned about the value in the future. I bought it without a box and have used fairly frequently. Or...am I simply fooling myself that if I had a fine nib that I could write like fpupulin??

Your thoughts?

Ok Hemingway fans. Heres my question for you...

Should I have my factory Hemingway medium nib tuned to a fine?? Or is that a mistake? I am a user and less concerned about the value in the future. I bought it without a box and have used fairly frequently. Or...am I simply fooling myself that if I had a fine nib that I could write like fpupulin??

Your thoughts?

Penmanship such as fpupulin's is more a byproduct of practice than of the nib. Of course, for some hands / styles a particular type of nib helps (or is even required), but the nib itself won't improve one's penmanship.

My advice is look into the Spencerian copybooks (inexpensive and readily available on Amazon) if you're really interested in improving your handwriting.

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall

Penmanship such as fpupulin's is more a byproduct of practice than of the nib. Of course, for some hands / styles a particular type of nib helps (or is even required), but the nib itself won't improve one's penmanship.

My advice is look into the Spencerian copybooks (inexpensive and readily available on Amazon) if you're really interested in improving your handwriting.

Yes, you can't buy penmanship. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

My experience is somewhat different. Agreed, practice is the key to improving one's penmanship. At the same time, a free-flowing nib that is responsive to one's script can make the writing smoother and more balanced than a balky nib. There is also the advantage gained with nibs such as oblique or italic. They can add an aesthetic dimension to one's handwriting even without extended practice. But in the long run, with any nib, there's no doubt that practice can lead to considerable improvement.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...