Parker 51 Comeback 2020?

remus1710

This makes some sense, less of a bringing back a Parker 51 but more of a cheap marketing opportunity, buy in another product and attach the Parker name and call it the Parker 51 Anniversary Edition.

Gillette have recently introduced a safety razor based on 1930s/40s design features, not made by Gillette and not a particularly good razor but it worked and sold out its limited Chinese production very quickly, some people buying one to use and one to keep, It had the look that collectors wanted.

I can see the Parker 51 Anniversary going the same way

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• corniche

• Estycollector

• Ferocity

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well they did it already in the past , well more than once , there's the Parker 51 2000 edition ( is it 2000 I am not quite sure ) and then there's Parker 100 , and seriously I like the 100 better. It would seems Parker is not doing this as quite the mass market model but not quite the priced model either. They want a piece of this resurgence of market place, but the Duefold Century is a pricey entry that do not give the mass of volume of sales. The Vector, IM, Jotter, Urban and even the Sonnet ( of todays ) hardly incite and entice. Even the Premier evoke few. Its a question and a dilemma for so many old names, Parker included.

They need something to get old hands to get excited again and new one to get into the brand , and most of all to buy the pen en mass. Nothing better to take your historically most famous and successful ever ( and likely even among all fountain pens ) model and re launch it into the market, but then let's face it the original P51 is not mean to be a fashion item or premium product, and asking the newer generation to work with aerometric or vacumetic likely do not bode well with the customer ( and customer service ).

So they need this new re-modeled Parker 51, I picture it like the 100, C/C pen in metal cladded construction. Not going to be pricey like the Duofold, more like Sonnet or even less

let's face it the original P51 is not mean to be a fashion item or premium product, and asking the newer generation to work with aerometric or vacumetic likely do not bode well with the customer ( and customer service ).

So they need this new re-modeled Parker 51, I picture it like the 100, C/C pen in metal cladded construction. Not going to be pricey like the Duofold, more like Sonnet or even less

Speaking as one who was alive and reading in 1941, I can say the original Parker 51 was meant to be, and really was, both a fashion item and a premium product.

Well they did it already in the past , well more than once , there's the Parker 51 2000 edition ( is it 2000 I am not quite sure ) and then there's Parker 100 , and seriously I like the 100 better. It would seems Parker is not doing this as quite the mass market model but not quite the priced model either. They want a piece of this resurgence of market place, but the Duefold Century is a pricey entry that do not give the mass of volume of sales. The Vector, IM, Jotter, Urban and even the Sonnet ( of todays ) hardly incite and entice. Even the Premier evoke few. Its a question and a dilemma for so many old names, Parker included.

They need something to get old hands to get excited again and new one to get into the brand , and most of all to buy the pen en mass. Nothing better to take your historically most famous and successful ever ( and likely even among all fountain pens ) model and re launch it into the market, but then let's face it the original P51 is not mean to be a fashion item or premium product, and asking the newer generation to work with aerometric or vacumetic likely do not bode well with the customer ( and customer service ).

I don't think you have a clue. Being an old hand, and having bought a new 51 before, I don't think anything as what you envision is going to get anyone who grew up around the original Parker 51 interested. In fact, I find every Parker fountain pen after the 51, with the exception of the 75, lacking in every quality except the smoothness of lacquer in those pens that have had it. I have a bunch of Sonnets that I would not be comfortable selling, because of quality issues.

The 51 was a fashion piece of pocket jewelry. I have read of people buying just a 51 cap to put in their pocket to make others think they had one. True? Who knows?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If people really wanted a 100, Parker would release a 100. Better yet, the 100 would have been a market success.

The "51" was the best selling pen of all time. The closer they get to the original the greater its appeal.

Will not be buying these, find myself perfectly happy with both the Parker 51s I have and the availability & pricing of them in the current market. Loads of options to choose from.

I remember the 2000 51 reproduction well 1 have 2 of them- they were cartridge/converter models the caps were silver plated with gold blue diamond clips similar to the earliest model 51s. They were recalled because the resin barrels would crack. Replacement barrels were used to repair and production stopped after a short time. They were expensive at over 200.00 back then.

Secundum Artem

If it's a good pen in an interesting range of colours and finishes, it should have as good a chance as any. The modern arrow clip is less jarring in real life, I find, but the rest of the pen in those photos I don't take too, especially that wide plain clutch ring.

The design of the SE hit the right note - it looked the part, especially that Empire cap and DJ. If they learned some lessons from the disastrous execution last time around, maybe they'd be onto something (btw how'd they get the plastic so badly wrong after the similar 61 and 45 had such a long production run?

After all new buyers would not necessarily be comparing it to a 51 and seasoned collectors won't necessarily be considering the opportunity cost of a new iteration versus the older ones - most will already have several 'original' 51s.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Many people who enjoy them will acknowledge that there is no other fountain pen with the feel, reliability, performance of a Parker 51, whether vacumatic or aerometric. Many argue that it's the best designed and functional fountain pen of all time. Count me among those who find it a peerless fountain pen.

But it is not the only fountain pen. There are other models I enjoy a great deal. I am a genuine fan of the 2002 Parker 51 SE. While not a true 51 by any means, it is a very functional & reliable c/c filler with the design, size, & shape of a DJ 51. I was one of the lucky folks who was able to purchase extra turquoise barrels after Parker realized the plastic material was unstable. I continue to use a couple of them and have never had a problem with the shell cracking. One barrel needed replacing after several old cracks in the lip finally separated.

I would be willing to give a chance to a new 51 clone if it hits the market. We all know it won't be a true 51, but there may still be considerable pleasure in writing with it.

There was a C/C model of the Parker 51, not highly recommended by Old Griz, rest his soul, but I had one for a while and it wasn't too bad. So, maybe an remake of the 51 might be worth a try, just for curiosity. Who knows, you might like it, I might like it.

I have a Wing Sung 601. Not bad, but I would like a nib broader than the extra, extra fine that is in the pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

There was a C/C model of the Parker 51, not highly recommended by Old Griz, rest his soul, but I had one for a while and it wasn't too bad. So, maybe an remake of the 51 might be worth a try, just for curiosity. Who knows, you might like it, I might like it.

I have a Wing Sung 601. Not bad, but I would like a nib broader than the extra, extra fine that is in the pen.

It's good to remember Tom.

I have about two dozen P-51's, and I will probably buy one of the new 51's.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Hello to my fellow Parker 51 mavens,

I called Parker USA several minutes ago to inquire about the upcoming rerelease of the 51 later this year. The customer service representative informed me the Parker 51 has been discontinued and there is no planned upcoming rerelease of the 51. I believe we have been misinformed.

Disappointed,

Pennenut

It may be an exclusive release for the asian market.

Afterall, the design of the 51 is wildly popular among students and professionals alike (H616, H100) despite the recent incursion of more funky designs, such as Lamy and Kaweco.

It may be an exclusive release for the asian market.

Afterall, the design of the 51 is wildly popular among students and professionals alike (H616, H100) despite the recent incursion of more funky designs, such as Lamy and Kaweco.

I would hate it if the company were to do that!

Do they not realise that releasing products on one continent only means that folks on other continents will just buy it through ‘grey market’ sources?

Once your consumers learn that they not only can, but actually have to pay Other People to get your product, you start losing their loyalty.

If the company doesn't want to spend money trying to market the pen in the EU/NAFTA countries, why not allow e.g. European/American consumers to order the pen from a Parker website & have it shipped over?

At least then NewellRubbermaid would be getting our money themselves, as opposed to some Asian entrepreneur getting it.

And, if we do buy grey-market ‘Parker’ pens, and find that their quality has dropped, the Parker brand STILL takes the hit here!

IMO releasing a pen in Asia ONLY sends self-defeating messages to EU/NAFTA consumers:

1) we don't care about you any more, and/or;

2) we are dropping the quality of our products to sell to people with Less Cash Than You, because we know that you won't pay our prices for such gimcrack shmutter, so ciao!

Each would be the equivalent of waving a little white flag, and withdrawing from the market.

I just can't see any ‘sense’ in doing it.

But then, I am NOT a mid-level Executive at a large transnational Corporation with multiple product lines...

Perhaps it does in fact make great business sense to abandon the ‘decadent’ markets of the West, in order to instead concentrate on selling lower-cost-to-manufacture products to those people within the world's ‘emerging markets’ who do now have money, but who do not yet have any learned expectation that consumer goods should be constructed to the standards of build-quality demanded by those within the decadent ‘Western’ markets?

If that dystopian ‘vision’ IS the explanation, then our species is doomed (and deservedly so).

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Remus has perhaps misinformed....Uncle Remus wouldn't do that......This one did? I wouldn't bet against it....maybe not intentionally?

Now let us mosey on down to Uncle Remus to pick up some of the best fried chicken on the west side of Chicago...

Fred

Chow time.........................

In the thread titled Parker Cloning Itself member Jordan N posts an email received from Parker confirming the plan to release a new 51 and giving American retailers as potential places to buy it. I trust that document more than I trust a report of a telephone conversation.

But time will tell. As for Parker or other manufacturers making pens for one country or region and not others, this is a very common thing in the history of fountain pens. AFAIK Parker has made pens for the Chinese market that are not offered in the West. Not cheap pens. China has poor people and it also has very, very rich people.

...AFAIK Parker has made pens for the Chinese market that are not offered in the West. Not cheap pens. China has poor people and it also has very, very rich people.

China does indeed have some people who have titanic wealth nowadays.

And as I wrote before, when Parker (or any other company) lets potential customers in China buy its products but won’t let me order them, the ‘message’ that I receive from the company is ‘we don’t give a rat’s rear end about you, stop bothering us’.

I can understand why they might choose to not spend money trying to actively Market a product here (e.g. maybe the design has been created to cater for Chinese, instead of western æsthetic sensibilities, so they don’t expect to sell loads here), but to sell it elsewhere while not letting western customers choose to order it from their own Corporate websites makes zero sense to me. They could even charge for shipping if the product is e.g. made in China.

Not letting me order it when I am willing to buy it from them means only that my money is going to go to a ‘grey-market’ ‘entrepreneur’ instead of to NewellRubbermaid. Well, ok, plus that they’re telling me that they aren’t interested in me.

What’s the ‘upside’ for them?

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png