Parker 51 Comeback 2020?

remus1710

Hi all,

I know what Red Beard is getting at... I think. I would rather spend a few bucks more and never have to spend it again, than "save" a few bucks now; only to have to spend it again in a few months or a couple years.

I have ethical issues buying Chinese brands because of their human rights violations - and yes, even the Western brands are made there, but the lions share of the money stays in the West; not with the "regime." I'll stop here, because I dont want to make this political.

That said, the Chinese branded pens that have been given to me; or I picked up myself in moments of weakness, left me unimpressed. 

A few started out great, but none of have lived past 3/4 years - and I pamper my pens.

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• corniche

• Estycollector

• Ferocity

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Offered in the spirit of discussion.

Low price was not the only criteria mentioned in my post.

Sorry, but you not liking/agreeing with my response to: why do the people, who use genuine Parker pens, buy cheap Chinese stuff?, does not invalidate my answer, as I have no idea of knowing what your subjective "spirit of the question" is.

Will the 601 last 70 years? No idea. I'll be lucky to last another 20. Maybe the 51 will last as long as me.

I'm happy with both.

Thank you and noted.

All the best is only beginning now...

1 hour ago, TheRedBeard said:

I have complete tolerance to others choices and preferences as well.

Just wanted to hear about inner motives when asked my initial question :)

Completely understood what I felt your questions involved. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

22 minutes ago, corniche said:

A few started out great, but none of have lived past 3/4 years - and I pamper my pens.

The sturdy, reliable, non-evaporating WS698 has been constantly inked these last three years and is as good as new.  Will it last forever?  No.  Everything that has a beginning has an end, including 51s,

Add lightness and simplicate.

25 minutes ago, corniche said:

Hi all,

I know what Red Beard is getting at... I think. I would rather spend a few bucks more and never have to spend it again, than "save" a few bucks now; only to have to spend it again in a few months or a couple years.

I have ethical issues buying Chinese brands because of their human rights violations - and yes, even the Western brands are made there, but the lions share of the money stays in the West; not with the "regime." I'll stop here, because I dont want to make this political.

That said, the Chinese branded pens that have been given to me; or I picked up myself in moments of weakness, left me unimpressed. 

Hi Sean, and thank you very much for another meaningful post.

I wanted to avoid any politics here either...

But I want to mention one point why I do not buy cheap Chinese-made Parker clones (it has nothing to do with a particular country): I have no respect and don't want to give any my support to petty thieves (anywhere in the world) whose "expertise" only extends to copying (reverse-engineering) something really good and very successful invented by really bright and talented people, and then cashing in on that...

It is only my personal attitude, and everyone makes his own choice...

33 minutes ago, corniche said:

Hi all,

While it may not apply to you, I came to appreciate that Chinese workers were benefitting from my purchases. Using a global perspective, the Chinese worker, artist, businesses might be just like me. 

3 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

While it may not apply to you, I came to appreciate that Chinese workers were benefitting from my purchases. Using a global perspective, the Chinese worker, artist, businesses might be just like me. 

well.. may be then they should stop "obtaining" (don't want to say, stealing) someone's designs, R&D, IPs and invent something valuable like Parker did? ;)

1 minute ago, TheRedBeard said:

well.. may be then they should stop "obtaining" (don't want to say, stealing) someone's designs, R&D, IPs and invent something valuable like Parker did? ;)

I assume that it is perhaps similar to the concept of "public domain" or a lapsed patent protection with legend pharaceuticals 

9 minutes ago, TheRedBeard said:

Hi Sean, and thank you very much for another meaningful post.

I wanted to avoid any politics here either...

But I want to mention one point why I do not buy cheap Chinese-made Parker clones (it has nothing to do with a particular country): I have no respect and don't want to give any my support to petty thieves (anywhere in the world) whose "expertise" only extends to copying (reverse-engineering) something really good and very successful invented by really bright and talented people, and then cashing in on that...

It is only my personal attitude, and everyone makes his own choice...

No reason to consider our discussion politcal. 

5 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

I assume that it is perhaps similar to the concept of "public domain" or a lapsed patent protection with legend pharaceuticals 

Sure, i agree with you from the legal point of you.

That's why I mentioned personal choice of everyone...

6 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

No reason to consider our discussion politcal. 

I definitely want to avoid this... :)

Perhaps some will buy a “new” 51 or a copy of a 51 for what it is and others will buy a “51” for what it was. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

1 hour ago, FarmBoy said:

Perhaps some will buy a “new” 51 or a copy of a 51 for what it is and others will buy a “51” for what it was. 

And then there's the wackos (like me) who do both!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just saw this post on Reddit. It fits our discussion, eh? I see a Jinhao 85 and a Wing Sung 601. 😁

A3C594A7-E710-4701-9E56-034C7E1452F8.thumb.jpeg.e36d95f8ccff32dbbaacb7e343924bfa.jpeg

19 hours ago, Estycollector said:

I can understand your point of view. However, from an entirely personal view, I try not to buy anything from China because of their human rights abuses. So I would never buy pens from China in the current situation. I agree I'm sure with those who may say that there are a lot of countries with dubious laws/actions/HR abuses, (Russia for a start) - so yes it is hard to decide where the point comes when one blacklists them.

I love fountain pens for their heritage, history, creativity, design, innovation, craftsmanship, or sentimental value. If it's none of these, it just has no attraction for me.

10 hours ago, NumberSix said:

Just saw this post on Reddit. It fits our discussion, eh? I see a Jinhao 85 and a Wing Sung 601. 😁

Yes, it fits... though my initial question was a bit different and more specific  :) 

1 hour ago, shostakovich said:

I can understand your point of view. However, from an entirely personal view, I try not to buy anything from China because of their human rights abuses. So I would never buy pens from China in the current situation. I agree I'm sure with those who may say that there are a lot of countries with dubious laws/actions/HR abuses, (Russia for a start) - so yes it is hard to decide where the point comes when one blacklists them.

Oh... some people can't resist turning to politics even talking about such a benign subject like fountain pens... ;)

2 hours ago, shostakovich said:

I have bought directly from Chinese makers of violins and bows. They are well made which says to me that something is going right even in a bad situation. 

Now days, we can all point hypocrticatl fingers at another form of government and be correct in our views, but, having said all that, there are people connecting to people globally that is a good thing.