Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• corniche

• Estycollector

• Ferocity

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

May I ask a silly humble question: why do the people, who use genuine Parker pens, buy cheap Chinese stuff?

It is just for my understanding...

Thank you.

In this case, curiosity. 😉

2 hours ago, NumberSix said:

In this case, curiosity. 😉

Thank you, Number Six :)   Perfectly understood :)

All the best is only beginning now...

8 hours ago, shostakovich said:

Maybe it's because the cheap Chinese stuff is better than the genuine expensive stuff! (Wink).

Possible answer, but missing the mark in this particular case ;)

Theoretically, I admit that very good copies of genuine stuff may exist, so their price would lure even sophisticated people.

However, in real life I have never seen/tried any (even very good) copies which were actually better than originals manufactured by reputable companies with rich history…

Once again, I admit that I might be so unlucky, but for such a sector like fountain pen manufacturing I have strong doubts about existence of such copies ;)

1 hour ago, TheRedBeard said:

Thank you, Number Six :)   Perfectly understood :)

I will say that this Jinhao 85 is IMO nicer to use as a writer than any of the many Chinese P51/61 clones I have yet tried - including a Hero 100 that cost me 3x as much. Even nicer than the famous Wing Sung 601. It's not better than a classic 51, of course, but I might could see myself using it in rotation now and then. 

Though now that my curiosity is satisfied, I will probably end up selling it or PIF'ing it. Someone with a different collection than mine would likely get a lot of use out of it. 

21 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

I will say that this Jinhao 85 is IMO nicer to use as a writer than any of the many Chinese P51/61 clones I have yet tried - including a Hero 100 that cost me 3x as much. Even nicer than the famous Wing Sung 601. It's not better than a classic 51, of course, but I might could see myself using it in rotation now and then. 

Though now that my curiosity is satisfied, I will probably end up selling it or PIF'ing it. Someone with a different collection than mine would likely get a lot of use out of it. 

I see :) You absolutely clarified this issue for me, much appreciated :)

12 hours ago, shostakovich said:

Maybe it's because the cheap Chinese stuff is better than the genuine expensive stuff! (Wink).

Good or excellent question. For me, it is the an opportunity to experience what Parker once provided before spending money on 70 year old pens. 

I have two 1942 PaRKER 51's. I find the Wing Sung 601 to be comparable. 

Regards,

Single in Alabama

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

On 1/21/2021 at 8:01 AM, corgicoupe said:

Adding another piece of trivial information: It was originally meant for mechanical watch springs, probably by or for the Elgin Watch Company

Eligiloy was a trade name owned by the Elgin Watch Company developed for watch springs. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

That short article was in the last issue of the Pennant. Must be why I remembered it. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

21 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

why do the people, who use genuine Parker pens, buy cheap Chinese stuff?

Bad habits?

The cheaper ones are to easier get a hold of. I just reach over to the jar, pluck one out and start writing.

Whereas with my precious heirloom originals like my genuine P51 Gray Demi, I first have to put on the white gloves, open the safe, then get out the polishing cloth...😳😆 

Well, kinda semi true, I got my first Parker 51 in something called a Pen Show, ah those were the good ol' days, where a bunch of senior elders would share their infinite wealth of pen lore while one would salivate and gawk at their fine wares. 😍 Despite insta-expertise from the Internets🙄, it was often surprising to see and feel the genuine artifact in person. There is always something new to learn, not found on the Web of Truth. No amount of YouTubing, Reddit, FPN researching could replace real world experience from a pen people meet up or show. Pens actually mean(t) something to people not just for posting for Insta likes.

But here we are now...Retail is dying/dead, online is where the billions are. No stories, research or humans needed.

With a few button presses, a new colorful shells of the shiny of once what was, flies across an ocean or two to my fickle doorstep in 5 colors beyond Plum and perhaps superior to the original. 🤯 It's kinda like junk food, tasty but you know it's bad for you.🤢 Honesty, my Wing Sung 601 is just as deserving of much respect as the vintage Parker, but the P51 train journey and all the nice people along way just makes it all the more precious. Plus it's older than me.

Sigh, time to Quink up the old Demi.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:41 AM, TheRedBeard said:

May I ask a silly humble question: why do the people, who use genuine Parker pens, buy cheap Chinese stuff?

It is just for my understanding...

Thank you.

Because a robust Vacumatic with a window and easily replaceable, inexpensive mechanism for £14 😁

Add lightness and simplicate.

15 hours ago, Estycollector said:

Good or excellent question. For me, it is the an opportunity to experience what Parker once provided before spending money on 70 year old pens. 

I have two 1942 PaRKER 51's. I find the Wing Sung 601 to be comparable. 

Regards,

Single in Alabama

But your WS610 will never ever last 70 years... ;)

5 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Because a robust Vacumatic with a window and easily replaceable, inexpensive mechanism for £14 😁

Noted. But the low price is not enough motivation in the spirit of my question... ;)

3 minutes ago, TheRedBeard said:

But your WS610 will never ever last 70 years... ;)

I am not sure that's necessarily true. Neither of the 1942 survided, but needed to be restored. 

5 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

I am not sure that's necessarily true. Neither of the 1942 survided, but needed to be restored. 

Well, we don't need 1942's as example then: P51 of 50s/60s is perfect example and WS601 is no near then ;)

7 hours ago, peroride said:

Bad habits?

The cheaper ones are to easier get a hold of. I just reach over to the jar, pluck one out and start writing.

Whereas with my precious heirloom originals like my genuine P51 Gray Demi, I first have to put on the white gloves, open the safe, then get out the polishing cloth...😳😆 

Well, kinda semi true, I got my first Parker 51 in something called a Pen Show, ah those were the good ol' days, where a bunch of senior elders would share their infinite wealth of pen lore while one would salivate and gawk at their fine wares. 😍 Despite insta-expertise from the Internets🙄, it was often surprising to see and feel the genuine artifact in person. There is always something new to learn, not found on the Web of Truth. No amount of YouTubing, Reddit, FPN researching could replace real world experience from a pen people meet up or show. Pens actually mean(t) something to people not just for posting for Insta likes.

But here we are now...Retail is dying/dead, online is where the billions are. No stories, research or humans needed.

With a few button presses, a new colorful shells of the shiny of once what was, flies across an ocean or two to my fickle doorstep in 5 colors beyond Plum and perhaps superior to the original. 🤯 It's kinda like junk food, tasty but you know it's bad for you.🤢 Honesty, my Wing Sung 601 is just as deserving of much respect as the vintage Parker, but the P51 train journey and all the nice people along way just makes it all the more precious. Plus it's older than me.

Sigh, time to Quink up the old Demi.

Brilliant answer, Perioride! :)

I have much enjoyed reading your post - thank you very much! :)

People can/may choose and use cheap Chinese stuff as day-to-day disposables, but it will never ever provide the true pleasure and irrational feelings of using genuine Parker pens...

41 minutes ago, TheRedBeard said:

Well, we don't need 1942's as example then: P51 of 50s/60s is perfect example and WS601 is no near then ;)

Not for me. I wanted as close as I could get to the original.  This is more of just who I am than anything. As always YMMV is operative and I am completely tolerate for other preferences. 

I have an aerometric Parker 21, which was NOS. 

Using 

19 hours ago, NumberSix said:

I do think curiousity guides our evolution, but one cannot personally test all pens. That said, for me, I have carried the "flighter" Wing Sung for a couple of months. There is the occasional "burp" that I have no idea why, but usually subsides. 

6 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

Not for me. I wanted as close as I could get to the original.  This is more of just who I am than anything. As always YMMV is operative and I am completely tolerate for other preferences. 

I have an aerometric Parker 21, which was NOS. 

Using 

I have complete tolerance to others choices and preferences as well.

Just wanted to hear about inner motives when asked my initial question :)

1 hour ago, TheRedBeard said:

Noted. But the low price is not enough motivation in the spirit of my question... ;)

Offered in the spirit of discussion.

Low price was not the only criteria mentioned in my post.

Sorry, but you not liking/agreeing with my response to: why do the people, who use genuine Parker pens, buy cheap Chinese stuff?, does not invalidate my answer, as I have no idea of knowing what your subjective "spirit of the question" is.

Will the 601 last 70 years? No idea. I'll be lucky to last another 20. Maybe the 51 will last as long as me.

I'm happy with both.

Add lightness and simplicate.