New: Platinum Curidas (Capless Type) Fountain Pen

Olya

I think the US dealers just automatically applied their normal discount for a street price, then Platinum thought it made the pen look cheep or something. Pilot has demanded some of the high end pens not be discounted over the last year or so. I don't know why it matters since the discounts cut into dealer profits and don't affect how much they pay the mfg/distributor. Thought we had laws related to MSRP making it suggested as per the "S" not mandatory. I can understand companies not allowing advertising of a lower price, but not letting them sell it lower seems wrong.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• penzel_washinkton

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the US dealers just automatically applied their normal discount for a street price, then Platinum thought it made the pen look cheep or something. Pilot has demanded some of the high end pens not be discounted over the last year or so. I don't know why it matters since the discounts cut into dealer profits and don't affect how much they pay the mfg/distributor. Thought we had laws related to MSRP making it suggested as per the "S" not mandatory. I can understand companies not allowing advertising of a lower price, but not letting them sell it lower seems wrong.

I don't know how it works with the law, but this is a common (marketing) trick amongst several brands in various industries. The idea is to create an image of higher prestige, even comparatively to other contemporary brands within the same (pricing/branding) segment.

Lamy did this with their LX series when it was launched, if I am not mistaken Montblanc has strict rules about discounts and brands like Chanel and Louis Vuitton never ever allow their products to be sold at any other price, but the one they set. Products which haven't been sold are destroyed. Chanel and LV aren't the only brands guilty of this, but they do ensure this way that their brand has a more upmarket image than even their contemporaries, their goods can even be investment pieces for this reason, not everything though, when shopping C or LV as investment you have to be careful, but in any case it is a thing and dictating pricing aides image & market value.

What Platinum's reasoning is, is anyone's guess. Might well be that the price will go back to the lower end in a few months, like with Lamy's LX and they just want the higher set price for the beginning...

Certainly very bad though to not have set the price from the start, as this fudges with customers view and leaves a sour taste, bad marketing and a bad start.

Edited by Olya

I fully agree that Platinum has handled this very clumsily. I think I'll probably wait to see whether the price does come down, as a base price of US$80 seems a little steep.

In Europe, at least, it seems that there is usually a standard full retail price for new pens (which B&M stores seem to charge) and then there is a discounted price (typically charged by onine retailers). Considering Platinum's actions charitably, perhaps the pricing policy is their way of trying to ensure that retailers with physical stores stay in business; if so, then expect to see stricter price control for other Platinum models.

Given the pricing I've seen in Europe, it looks as if the Curidas is going to be sold for at least the local equivalent of US$80, though higher pricing seems to be allowed. The US$-equivalent price of the pen at online retailers seems to range from $82 to $122, as per below.

In the UK, the listed price for a Curidas ranges from £79 (~€93, US$101) at PurePens to £95 (~€111, US$122) at CultPens.

In Germany, the going price seems to be €89.50 (~US$98; ~£76) (Fountainfeder and I seem to recall the same price at PaperUndStift, though the site was down when I checked just now)

In the Netherlands, the going price appears to be €75 (US$82; ~£64) (Appelboom, La Couronne du Comte).

(All prices include VAT; prices and exchange rates current on 8 February 2020; non-native currencies approximate and for comparison purposes.)

If the user is prepared to source an ink converter separately for the Platinum Curidas (presumably at additional expense), then for an apples-to-apples comparison one would assume the user is also prepared to source an ink converter separately for the Pilot Capless, especially if maximising time between ink refills is a personal priority, yes?

If you're prepared to just take Goulet Pen's word for it, and I personally think it is a sufficiently credible source of retail product information, then:

Some users might. I personally wouldn't, because I wouldn't deploy two similar pens for exactly the same purpose or application, writing on the same type of paper with the same ink colour, either concurrently or one after another, until they both run dry. When I do pen and/or nib comparisons specifically to test for differences, I rarely do more than an A5 page or two of writing with the test subjects. If I buy a Platinum Curidas, it certainly won't be with a view to replacing one of my Pilot Capless pens as the writing instrument of choice for a particular use case.

I do believe the Goulets are credible. I tend to use multiple pens until they run dry but only use three or four paper types (Peter Pauper journal, stationery cards, newsprint for crosswords). I keep a fair number of pens inked at any one time and tend to use them until they run dry, which is why I notice which combinations tend to go through ink more quickly. I use converters much more than cartridges.

I would try to change out one of the CON-40s for a CON-50 and see if that helps in the Caplesses. Thanks for the suggestion. Whenever I look I only find them for $35 and up, which doesn't seem worth it. When I search CON-50 many returned results are actually for the CON-40.

Edited by essayfaire

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Hm at $80 Id rather spend a bit more on a Decimo or another VP with gold nibs (not special alloy).

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

> Aren't they the initial release color?

Oops, yes - I didn't realize that. The colors look better in the IG post than in the advertisements I saw before.

I will see on March 4 (starting day of the Maruzen pen fair) how they really look like.

Seems, that Platinum is using teasing strategy to stay in the "public interest". So, we can expect a post about the red, the transparent versions too.

Saw and enjoyed the review. Still thinking whether I will buy this especially since the price is increased and is now closer to a stainless steel VP.

Very few video reviews are helpful - this one is. Congratulation!

After seeing this video, I don't understand how this pen would make the life of a pen user easier.

Very few video reviews are helpful - this one is. Congratulation!

After seeing this video, I don't understand how this pen would make the life of a pen user easier.

Thanks for the post! I fashioned the review from all the questions I got from my IG. It's a bit of a whacky pen, but I enjoy that aspect of it. I would like to see the "street" price come back though.

I would like to see the "street" price come back though.

Pensachi was offering them for US$62 apiece just last week (but not this week; its price is now US$70).

Edit: Now that I've watched the review (which was a challenge to get started, because as a rule I detest reviews in video format), that is indeed an awesome pen review attesting to your excellent work! Very information-dense, which I like, and covers so much ground. Thank you very much!

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thanks for the post! I fashioned the review from all the questions I got from my IG. It's a bit of a whacky pen, but I enjoy that aspect of it. I would like to see the "street" price come back though.

Great video! Learned a lot and thoroughly entertained.

Thanks - possibly the best pen review I’ve ever seen (sorry Stephen ...)

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Thank you so much! Your review has made clear (no pun intended) that of which I wasn't sure - that I should take a pass on this one. I loved the idea, but I hate hard starts, I hate too fat, and the ink inside would drive me crazy. The clip probably wouldn't bother me, as I don't mind the clip on the Capless; the travel to click on the other hand...I wouldn't have ever thought about that prior to watching your review. Brava.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence