New: Platinum Curidas (Capless Type) Fountain Pen

Olya

I like the looks, grip appears ergonomic with the clip sitting far away and removable. it will be interesting to see how air tight the pen is when capped, the closing mechanism etc. I will be watching out for reviews.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• penzel_washinkton

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As bad as the initial impressions are for this Curidas, I think this is big step regarding affordable retractable click fountain pen.

This is the cheapest one yet despite it's all plastic body excluding the old Chinese models although needs further investigation durability wise.

Imagine one day mass produced but reliable retractable click fountain pens under $50.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

Since you're in japan - what's the price in comparison to the steel nib pilot capless "special alloy"?

Because there is a pilot vanishing point - albeit with only F or M nibs - for $75 USD. and you can swap gold nibs into them for another $70.

I dunno, this thing just looks cheap. I'm sure it'll work well, everything platinum makes does. But I won't be buying one.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Since you're in japan - what's the price in comparison to the steel nib pilot capless "special alloy"?

Because there is a pilot vanishing point - albeit with only F or M nibs - for $75 USD. and you can swap gold nibs into them for another $70.

I dunno, this thing just looks cheap. I'm sure it'll work well, everything platinum makes does. But I won't be buying one.

The gimmick they market it really itches me. Can we just call it stainless steel :lol: ?

The Platinum Curidas is not as pretty as the VP, but it's not bad. I don't prefer the long knock but I can live with it, especially for the price.

I do wonder if it's comfortable to hold with the clip, though.

The one thing I do very much like about the Curidas is the fact that it's resin, making it lightweight. I like the size and shape of the VP, but it's far too heavy for my hand. I've tried the Decimo, but that's even a little too much for me while not being as comfortable. Maybe this will inspire Pilot to compete with a Resin version of the VP. Otherwise, I'm quite curious about the Curidas.

> Alloy nib VP is 10000 yen msrp no?

Oops, that's right, just checked Pilot HP. Sorry. Think a shop where I checked listed them as 18K.

MRSP 10000 Yen is the alloy pen and 15000 the 18K. Anyway, lowest streetprice for the 18K is 10-12000 Yen.

I have a VP, don't like it very much - it is on my selling list.

Edited by mke

Apparently shops on Rakuten offer pre-orders with some % off.

Official selling start is 2020/3.

The gimmick they market it really itches me. Can we just call it stainless steel :lol: ?

Much like "precious resin" or the fact that we all like to say our pens are made of resin in general to make us feel better about the prices we pay. It's plastic.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Much like "precious resin" or the fact that we all like to say our pens are made of resin in general to make us feel better about the prices we pay. It's plastic.

That's why I usually avoid calling them by their gimmick, I just call them plastic or metal or wood.

> Can we just call it stainless steel :lol: ?

Can we? Most probably it is a KIND of stainless steel. But it might be a special alloy for nibs or it doesn't fit the official spec of stainless steel. They are not allowed to call it stainless steel then.

> It's plastic.

I don't know why for you guys "plastic" is derogatory. "Plastic" is as descriptive as "human" - covers everything. Resin or polymer might be wrong, btw. - I know that some pens are made from mixtures of resins AND clay. That is part of the high-performance plastics.

> Can we just call it stainless steel :lol: ?

Can we? Most probably it is a KIND of stainless steel. But it might be a special alloy for nibs or it doesn't fit the official spec of stainless steel. They are not allowed to call it stainless steel then.

If we're talking about material components, just stating stainless steel only is very generic. There are 316 or 304 type of stainless steel if you want to get into particular types of SS and most nib manufacturer never state the type of stainless steel they manufacture (at least on the product page that they have, if you can point me to one please do tell me)

Also what is "special" alloy? Stainless steel itself is a form of an alloy. In my previous experience delving into materials, I have never heard of an alloy being "special" even some exotic ones like Duplex.

Apologies for the rant, it's just that the marketing gimmick on some of the stuff in this hobby (or any hobby in particular) is just questionable.

Anyway, I will get the Curidas if it is really at 7000 Yen as advertised.

Platinum usually don't disappoint me.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

My main concern is how the corners of the clip are right where I'd put my fingers.

post-145190-0-89860100-1578835923.png

I would have preferred a more ergonomic clip. I of course haven't held it yet so I can't say definitively.

Edited by Mongoosey

> if it is really at 7000 Yen

In Japan, pre-orders have started at 6600 Yen. https://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-youstyle/pla-pkn-7000/

From the URL, you can see that the Platinum code is pkn-7000 - therefore, the MRSP is 7000 Yen.

Thanks for the link for reference.

As per the global Rakuten it is more or less $60 without shipping currently.

As bad as the initial impressions are for this Curidas, I think this is big step regarding affordable retractable click fountain pen.

This is the cheapest one yet despite it's all plastic body excluding the old Chinese models although needs further investigation durability wise.

Imagine one day mass produced but reliable retractable click fountain pens under $50.

Remember when TWSBI showed off their Click model? I wonder whatever happened with that?

> I wonder whatever happened with the TWSBI Click model?

People asked this in the forum in 2015 and 2017 - without getting an answer. A guess was that lawyers on behalf of Pilot sent a stop signal. The Pilot capless is already so long on the market that there should be no protection more if you don't clone it 100%. Perhaps customers weren't ready for an alternative system or it didn't work well? Does anyone here has one?

Edited by mke