What Pens Are You Using Today 2020

PenBuyer1796

Trying to empty a Cross Bailey Light that I refilled the cartridge with Quink black. Almost there!

Also my exploration of cheap pens netted me a few Wearevers to check out. I replaced the sac on one of the Pennants, and since the barrel is a sort of maroon-ish metallic, I filled it with Noodler's Burgundy. A very nice pairing, I think. Awful nice pen for two bucks.

Edited by ratscabies

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• NumberSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am also trying to empty a pen, an old Pilot desk pen.  I don't know the model number.  Whenever I use this pen after a hiatus, I have to admire at how smooth it is, given its extra-fine nib, but it just is not very interesting, and a fill lasts a very long time.

Well, it seems that the 2021 thread has not been started yet, and I don't want to be presumptuous and start it myself.

So far, though, I have used three fountain pens in the new year, in the L-R order shown.  Parker 180 with Noodler's Kung Te-cheng, Sheaffer Imperial touchdown filler with De Atramentis Document Blue, and Pilot Elite, an older version with an 18k "soft" EF nib, Pilot Blue-Black cartridge.

20210101_062340.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

A favorite Indian pen due to its low cost and nice finish, the ASA I CAN eyedropper with a JoWo 1.1 stub. It's one of my few pens not filled with KWZ IG inks. It always has Diamine Imperial Blue which is reminiscent of older inks from the 40s and 50s.

ASA I Can 1.1 JoWo.jpg

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

@ISW_Kaputnik -- I don't have any experience with a Parker 180, so I don't know what sort of fill system it has.  How do you like KTC in that?

For me, I spent a good part of yesterday evening flushing and/or refilling pens and/or refilling them with distilled water.  So just about midnight (I would have been woken up by the firecrackers and bottle rockets in my neighborhood anyway) I was finishing up testing Robert Oster Shake and Shimmer No Fixed Address in the al-Star, 1.1 mm nib -- and then dumping the rest back into the sample vial (love the color and the blue shimmer, but the particles clogged my nib and feed something fierce.  And then the first journal entry of 2021 was with the TWSBI 580-AL, B nib, with diluted Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

26 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@ISW_Kaputnik -- I don't have any experience with a Parker 180, so I don't know what sort of fill system it has.  How do you like KTC in that?...

It's a cartridge/converter pen which was discontinued in the mid 1980s.  I have one of the older Parker squeeze type converters in it, that came with the apparently NOS one that I bought.  I haven't verified if the newer twist converters work with it, although I have no reason to think that they wouldn't.  And it would take the proprietary Parker cartridges.

I hadn't used Kung Te-cheng in a fountain pen in some time.  I had the impression from a few years ago that it clogged some of my pens, even if it did them no lasting harm.  I don't really recall which pens, though, and I decided to give it a second chance in a pen which is very easy to clean.  So far so good.  And I like the color.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Oh, I love the color.  I just don't like the clogging and nib creep I get with it.  The last time I used it was in a Noodler's Charlie eyedropper, which was an okay experience, but of course burped into the cap when the ink got low.  I had hoped that the Noodler's Boston Safety would be ideal for the pen, but it wasn't (and it didn't really like the ebonite Konrad either.  It was marginally better in a resin Konrad, but only so-so in the acrylic bodied one (and even then I had trouble with the piston knob sticking and accidentally unscrewing the entire piston assembly (I think I got MOST of the ink off the sofa... but of course, since it's KTC, I'm sure there are still spots, just as there are on my grandparents' dresser and hutch, from an experiment in eyedroppering through the feed...).

But if it seems to do okay in a pen with a converter, that gives me hope.  Of course, I also want to try it dosed with Photo-Flo, and then again with the Vanness White Lightning additive.  

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Used a few pens today.

Lamy 2000 F / Papier Plume Red Beans and Rice

PenBBS 456 Clear Demonstrator F / Diamine Red Dragon

Pelikan M1000 F / Kon-Peki

Franklin-Christoph 20 ice + Fpnibs semi-flex / Kon-Peki

2610.thumb.jpg.4b4c13e32f4592b83266322e8130fa76.jpg

Click Neo PIF and Ahab by Noodler's  syringe fill

Fred

enjoyin' a glass Chateau Pavie 2010

Edited by Freddy

The M205 magenta/grey with Stipula Light Blue tonight. I didn't use it for a long time after I bought because it had an M nib, kept thinking I'd order an F or EF for it but finally broke down and tried the Lt Blue in it. Not sure if it's the ink or I just lucked into an odd nib because it writes like an F bordering on EF (Pelikan-wise). Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by this turn of events.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers, 1.5mm stub italic - Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün

Pilot VP, M nib - Nemosine Prussian Blue

Ikaruga Safety Pen, glass nib - Private Reserve Chocolat

Pilot Lucina - B. nib.  Ink:  Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

Moonman P135 - Bent nib.  Ink:  deAtramentis Alexander von Humboldt

Jinhao Shark (purple) - M. nib.  Ink:  Chesterfield Amethyst

First pen fill of the year is my Pelikan M800 with the custom blue lizard binde from Shawn Newton, filled with Diamine Mediterranean blue! 

pelikan lizzard.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Wow, that's a pretty pen!  Too bad for me that M800s are too large and heavy for me (of course I could be saying what I said when they came out with the Stresemann a few years ago -- if they made one in the M400 size I'd be knocking over banks to get the money for one....  And then of course they DID (and it was the one time in my life where I actually had a shopping budget so I didn't have to resort to a life of crime after all.... :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

First pen fill of the year is my Pelikan M800 with the custom blue lizard binde from Shawn Newton, filled with Diamine Mediterranean blue! 

pelikan lizzard.jpg

Beautiful pen!

Shawn does great work, he also did a M1000 binde for me in the same material!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Pair of Pelikan fountain pens:

M101N Tortoiseshell / Red PIF C.I. Nib

Early M800 with custom binde by Shawn Newton PIF BB Nib

Fred1300.thumb.jpg.c0653882bf8079f583cd904751978ec3.jpg