Ch 912 Vs Metal Falcon Vs Platinum President

MuddyWaters

First of all I would like to apologize to those who are offended by this type of post. I have made a little short list of pens that meet some of my criteria: including medium-to-large sized but not too big (think pelikan 800ish), somewhat light, writing with some feedback, durable/quality feeling and overall good work horse Pens for long writing sessions. I am not looking for Flex performance, mostly comfort. The choices would be:

Pilot custom 912

-light, good size, generally pilot pens are good quality

-i had a pilot custom 823 in medium that had some baby bottom and was poorly balance in the hand because of the vac system. I worry that the medium 912 nib would have some baby bottom too.

Pilot metal falcon

-I have a preference for metal pens over plastic ones. Love the cold feeling

-I worry that the (SM) nib will flop too much

-My main worry is actually the pen body shape with a concave section (here the 912 seems more comfortable)

Platinum president

-I can't do 3776 due to size

-The president with its rounded ends is actually not that much bigger than the 3776, when comparing them by pictures

-I've heard many comments that the plastic feels cheap. How would this compare to the 912's plastic?

Thanks for your personal experiences with these pens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• MuddyWaters

• aimi

• minddance

You're right about the 823's balance but I don't hear others notice it very often. Based on that I would definitely warn you AGAINST the metal Falcon because it has a similar imbalance due to the metal body and plastic section.

I would warn against the President for a few reasons. The big one is -- the cap doesn't thread onto the pen with uniform ease. It requires the cap to be lined up just right. That's a problem for me, personally, but also the engraving on the cap band looks really outdated... ESPECIALLY compared to the newer 3776 Century models. In short, the President is overdue for an update (and probably should have a nib at least as large as the 3776 Century, which it doesn't.)

As far as the plastic goes -- I don't feel the President's plastic feels less expensive than any other Platinum or Pilot or Sailor. The plastic quality is all about the same... it's just that threading issue that gets me.

In my opinion the 912 is the clear winner here. It has a perfect balance, and just enough weight to not feel too light but not be too heavy. The threads are great, and the cap band looks nice with the blackened lettering. It can take the CON-70 which is a respectable amount of ink for a converter.

The 912's nibs are really good although I would consider the 912 WA over the M. It's a little finer but it's just a more interesting writing experience and in my opinion is more pleasant for writing long periods.

Also consider the SFM or SM. I find Pilot's standard soft nibs to offer a little bit of softness without the artifacts that some other soft nibs have.

PS. My history with this is I own several 823s, 743s, metal Falcons, and a 912 SF and SU. (Previously I owned a 912 WA which I sold to get an 823 WA. And I sold my President.)

The 912 is a workhorse of a pen. Not particularly fancy, but it has a slightly modernized classic look. Great for long writing sessions thanks to the nicely balanced body.

• 6 months later...

I thought I remembered this thread having more replies. Anyway I will provide a short update. I went with the platinum president in medium but sold it. The plastic wasn't impressive at all, and the cap threading issue didn't help this feeling an outdated pen. The medium nib didn't write at many angles and probably had baby bottom.

I would have sucked up and gotten the smaller 3776 had I known, as I feel they have more reliable nibs and feel great in the hand.

Thanks for the response about the metal falcon. If it is unbalanced even subtly it will not work out.

But I haven't bought the 3776 either so still on a search...

Edited by MuddyWaters

How about a Sailor 1911L? It's large enough, has great balance and a great nib.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

For me, 912 is the sweet spot in the Pilot Custom Heritage collection. But that's just me. I cannot tolerate the vac-fill system on the 823: difficult to thoroughly clean, and opening of the knob for ink to flow, etc. But please bear in mind this is coming from a person who doesn't enjoy vacuum filler pens at all.

The Falcon, for me, is a tad too small. And these softer nibs are difficult to get right: either I have alot feedback from the finer nibs, or I get baby's bottom. It is a tough balancing act.

Platinum 3776 is otherwise a pretty fine pen - if they get the gold plating on the cap right, and convertor to fit properly. Nib-wise, different nib widths/grades will most certainly provide different writing sensations.

I have no experience with the Platinum President.

Platinum 3776 is otherwise a pretty fine pen - if they get the gold plating on the cap right,

OK, I'm curious and I'll "bite". What do you imply is 'wrong' with the gold plating, and was that on a (¥10,000) PNB-10000 model — among Black on Black, Chartres Blue or Bourgogne, all with gold trim — that has been discontinued last year, and replaced by a (30% more expensive) PNB-13000 model that looks every bit the same except for the gold cap ring? Or are you talking about something from the current run of PNB-13000 and/or PNB-15000CR models?

I have an old Bourgogne model PNB-10000#71, and don't recall observing any problem with the plating on its cap ring. I have just received a Bourgogne model PNB-13000#71 last week, but still haven't unboxed it yet.

and convertor to fit properly.

I can't say I've encountered any problems with Platinum (CONVERTER-500 and -700) convertors fitting any of our ten or so #3776 pens here.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

OK, I'm curious and I'll "bite". What do you imply is 'wrong' with the gold plating, and was that on a (¥10,000) PNB-10000 model among Black on Black, Chartres Blue or Bourgogne, all with gold trim that has been discontinued last year, and replaced by a (30% more expensive) PNB-13000 model that looks every bit the same except for the gold cap ring? Or are you talking about something from the current run of PNB-13000 and/or PNB-15000CR models?

I have an old Bourgogne model PNB-10000#71, and don't recall observing any problem with the plating on its cap ring. I have just received a Bourgogne model PNB-13000#71 last week, but still haven't unboxed it yet.

I can't say I've encountered any problems with Platinum (CONVERTER-500 and -700) convertors fitting any of our ten or so #3776 pens here.

Hi Dill,

I have a few PNB-13000 (newer model) green and white with tarnished clip on the cap. They were bought on separate ocassions in 2019 and this year. The ring band that bears Platinum's name isn't tarnished. Same for a Red PNB-10000 bought in 2017 or was it 2016?

There is rather serious 'reddening' of the gold on the clip. I do not have this problem with Pilot Custom Heritage or Sailor or Pelikan - or even a much cheaper Wingsung 699 which I believe doesn't have real gold content.

As for the convertor, allow me to explain what I meant by 'fit properly'. I do not have issues with the older models (PNB10000).

The newer models PNB-13000 section seems different as in the convertor simply glides/slips into place without any friction/traction/grip.

And the convertor slides out when I clip the pen to my shirt pocket.

Even the lower priced PNB5000A and PNB3000 have a much much better convertor fit.

I have changed convertors and this issue did not go away. This is further aggravated by the hot summer here.

Don't worry, you are not "biting".

Edited by minddance

• 3 weeks later...

The newer models PNB-13000 section seems different as in the convertor simply glides/slips into place without any friction/traction/grip.

Now that I've unboxed my new PNB-13000, and transferred an already inked CONVERTER-500 from another pen into it (for the sake of comparing nib performance, specifically with regard to line width), I'm afraid I know what you mean. :(

And the convertor slides out when I clip the pen to my shirt pocket.

That's a worry and, yes, I can see how the occurrence of such is entirely plausible.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

While the 912 appears to have a lot of love here, I have a 912 SU and WA, and I also picked up a #3776 Century Black Music and #3776 Century Blue/Gold UEF.

It's a very tough call between the two pen types. I have to say that I honestly think I like the nibs on the Platinums more, and the pens themselves are more nimble. The 912 definitely feels a bit heavier, but I also found the caps weren't as smooth as the #3776's. Both are excellent models, I'd say, with the 912 obviously having the win in capacity with the CON-70 (which I really like) though I really have enjoyed the Platinum converter, too, but I feel like Platinum's feed and nib are better in both the UEF and the Music variation that I have compared to the SU and WA nibs of the Pilot. Especially in the Music/SU nibs, I feel that the nib grind and the way the feed manages the ink flow is superior in the Platinums that I have.

Overall, I have to say that, when judged by overall writing experience, comfort, and enjoyment, I've found the Platinum #3776 Century's to be winning out currently for me over the 912's. On the other hand, I have the 912's inked up currently as well as the Platinums, and I have no intention of selling either.

• 3 months later...

I have two pilot 912’s (po and minuskin Spencerian modified fa) one pilot falcon (resin SEF), two platinum 3776’s (EF’s), and a platinum president (f). I’ve used each extensively and they are all great pens. I like the president the best. It’s thicker in the grip section and feels better in my largish hand, it’s fine nib width and nib firmness is perfect for my mono line cursive business penmanship hand, and I love the feel of the president nib compared to that of the 3776 or pilot nibs. The slight feedback is very pleasant and guides my writing well. The flow from the president nib is perfectly restrained, controlled and very consistent,  more so than the pilot falcon which is very wet and the flow is more consistent than the 3776. The president cap threads are great and I don’t understand the complaints of the earlier poster.  In summary the president is a really nice and under appreciated pen. I can see why platinum designated it as their flagship and feel it deserves more respect than it is given around here. BTW- glad to see FPN up and running again. 

On 8/11/2020 at 6:13 PM, MuddyWaters said:

I thought I remembered this thread having more replies. Anyway I will provide a short update. I went with the platinum president in medium but sold it. The plastic wasn't impressive at all, and the cap threading issue didn't help this feeling an outdated pen. The medium nib didn't write at many angles and probably had baby bottom.

I would have sucked up and gotten the smaller 3776 had I known, as I feel they have more reliable nibs and feel great in the hand.

Thanks for the response about the metal falcon. If it is unbalanced even subtly it will not work out.

But I haven't bought the 3776 either so still on a search...

Thanks for your post cellmatrix... .

As a further update, I got the 3776 in F shortly after my post and returned it. It wrote perfectly in terms of ink delivery with minimal contact on paper but I found the plastic to feel cheap in my hand. I preferred to use some of my acrylic or metal pens instead.

The C74 has a nicer plastic and construction imo, but I prefer the 3776's slightly more bulbous shape.

14 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

... I found the plastic to feel cheap in my hand. I preferred to use some of my acrylic or metal pens instead.

The C74 has a nicer plastic and construction imo, but I prefer the 3776's slightly more bulbous shape.

Keep in mind the Platinum #3776 Century comes in numerous other materials and finishes than the AS (acrylonitrile styrene?) resin on the PNB-13000 models. I love my kanazawa-haku models, and am very glad I finally got the most recent third design in that line some months ago during a Cult Pens sale with stacked discounts. :D

On 12/8/2020 at 8:00 AM, cellmatrix said:

I have two pilot 912’s (po and minuskin Spencerian modified fa) one pilot falcon (resin SEF), two platinum 3776’s (EF’s), and a platinum president (f). I’ve used each extensively and they are all great pens. I like the president the best. It’s thicker in the grip section and feels better in my largish hand, it’s fine nib width and nib firmness is perfect for my mono line cursive business penmanship hand, and I love the feel of the president nib compared to that of the 3776 or pilot nibs. The slight feedback is very pleasant and guides my writing well. The flow from the president nib is perfectly restrained, controlled and very consistent,  more so than the pilot falcon which is very wet and the flow is more consistent than the 3776. The president cap threads are great and I don’t understand the complaints of the earlier poster.  In summary the president is a really nice and under appreciated pen. I can see why platinum designated it as their flagship and feel it deserves more respect than it is given around here. BTW- glad to see FPN up and running again. 

I share the similar feeling with Platinum President. I have one Maroon/Red with medium nib. I absolutely love when its nib touches the paper. It has the perfect feedback.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

On 12/8/2020 at 1:08 PM, MuddyWaters said:

Thanks for your post cellmatrix... .

As a further update, I got the 3776 in F shortly after my post and returned it. It wrote perfectly in terms of ink delivery with minimal contact on paper but I found the plastic to feel cheap in my hand. I preferred to use some of my acrylic or metal pens instead.

What about the Pilot 742? It is cigar shaped like the 3776, probably has similar plastic to the Pilot 74/912, and is a converter filler so it won’t be too back heavy like the 823 issue you mentioned. I guess Pilot nibs aren’t really known for having much feedback, though (although I have the PO, and there’s definitely feedback).

7 hours ago, aimi said:

What about the Pilot 742? It is cigar shaped like the 3776, probably has similar plastic to the Pilot 74/912, and is a converter filler so it won’t be too back heavy like the 823 issue you mentioned. I guess Pilot nibs aren’t really known for having much feedback, though (although I have the PO, and there’s definitely feedback).

I would definitely consider it but the current prices of Pilot pens are scaring me off, tbh.

13 minutes ago, MuddyWaters said:

I would definitely consider it but the current prices of Pilot pens are scaring me off, tbh.

Apparently buying Pilot directly from Japan sometimes is cheaper than going to any foreign AD/online shop. Also looks like it's 13% off on Pensachi right now surprisingly. I hope you're able to find a pen you like!

12 minutes ago, aimi said:

Also looks like it's 13% off on Pensachi right now surprisingly.

Pensachi was offering 15% off around Black Friday, but because there is no offer of ‘free’ international shipping however much you spend on an order, I passed. Besides, I found it has put up its prices greatly since earlier this year, so even with a 15% discount the effective prices for some of the pens I was interested in (back then) are still significantly higher now and, should I repeat, without the benefit of ‘free’ shipping.

19 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Pensachi was offering 15% off around Black Friday, but because there is no offer of ‘free’ international shipping however much you spend on an order, I passed. Besides, I found it has put up its prices greatly since earlier this year, so even with a 15% discount the effective prices for some of the pens I was interested in (back then) are still significantly higher now and, should I repeat, without the benefit of ‘free’ shipping.

Interesting- I never noticed that until you pointed it out (I've never purchased from PenSachi directly fwiw; I've always gone Jetpens in the USA- which is not a deal on Pilot tbh- or proxy if from Japan direct). It seems like with the discount they're on par with Japan-based (?) eBay sellers, so it's actually not a magnificent deal and just "normal".

4 hours ago, aimi said:

I've never purchased from PenSachi directly ‹snip› It seems like with the discount they're on par with Japan-based (?) eBay sellers, so it's actually not a magnificent deal and just "normal".

Once upon a time, PenSachi offered good bottom-line prices — albeit only on this and that and from time to time, but if you happened to want those items on special offer they're a boon — such that, in spite of the relatively high ‘free’ international free shipping eligibility threshold at the time, I still bought from them more than once or twice. It also seemed to be able to get certain pens I wanted that nobody else on eBay were offering; and customer service was accommodating and generally responsive.

That said, I probably bought more Japanese pens from Amazon than from PenSachi. Sometimes Amazon's prices (for what is sold and shipped by Amazon US) are astoundingly low. At one point, it was even offering a resin-bodied Pilot Falcon (aka Elabo) with a SM nib for, if I recall correctly, A$135 or thereabouts including (tax and) delivery to Australia; that would be under US$90 at the time. (I didn't snap it up, though. I've already bought two resin-bodied Pilot Falcon, with SF and SEF nibs respectively, from Amazon previously, and I also have a metal-bodied one that I ordered directly from Japan.) I bought a Platinum #3776 Celluloid and one of my #3776 Century Kanazawa-haku pens from Amazon, too; the asking prices were just too good to resist at the time.