Franklin-Christoph

WLSpec

I prefer round nib nibs, but the Masuyama Stub nibs are fabulous. You don't get the aesthetics of the crisp italic line, but the writing experience is much more enjoyable.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WLSpec

• Driften

• Mongoosey

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoy the model 46 as they are pocket sized and support JoWo #6

I don't like the rolly rolly though and wish for a kaweco sport clip like solution.

One has a Mike Masayama Cursive Italic medium that sweetly writes pretty fine and the other has a concord that I ground myself.

The nice thing beside their standard collection is the stockroom which carries miscellany like specials that you may see at the shark infested :lol: prototype table during their pen show visits. I was lucky to have my arm intact with a prized Jonathon Brooks acrylic sourced 46 in hand for sale completion at a pen show. Such is their popularity for one-offs.

All in all, great pen and company.

Edited by peroride

I've owned a number of F-C's, Model 02, 30, 45, 45L, and I just ordered a Model 20. One good thing to know is you have 30 days to try a pen and if you don't like it you can return it or exchange it for something else. Or if you don't like the nib you selected you can just swap those. I don't know of any other company that lets you ink and use a pen and still return it for full price.

The 45L is nicer then the 45. Being able to use a convert as an option in a pocket pen is nice. The 02 is a good pen but I find the 30 to be more comfortable. One thing about the 30 and 20 is the nib is inset and traps ink around the nib a little. All of the above can be used as eyedropper filled.

I own a few FC and the 45L is a daily one. I always have at least one 45L inked. I typically prefer pens with a wider diameter than the 45L, which the 46 would be better if you do prefer wider pens. However, I love the pocket size of the 45L and it was my first FC model, so there is some nostalgia in it. Of course, all of them writes really well. I've only ever had 1 problem with a nib, and their customer service was top notched. Fixed it quickly and sent it right back. I will say that you should be aware that the 45L takes a #5 sized nib versus the model 46 and many custom pen makers usually use a size 6. This will be something to consider if you like to switch nibs around between pens.

Good luck and hope you find thr perfect one for you.

Good luck and hope you find the perfect one for you.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'm leaning towards the 45L or the 46 with a Masuyama broad stub. Hopefully I can do it in the next few months.

Does anyone have any experience with the model 03, or one of the Italian Ice models? The 03 Italian ice is sold out right now but I actually like the demonstrator and the size/shape of the pen (the other Italian ice is the model 20 and I don't like the taper on the back of the body)

Does anyone have any experience with the model 03, or one of the Italian Ice models? The 03 Italian ice is sold out right now but I actually like the demonstrator and the size/shape of the pen (the other Italian ice is the model 20 and I don't like the taper on the back of the body)

I have the Italian ice in an 02, and the Antique Glass in a 66 (and a black one with a purple tip, a 45L if I recall correctly). The 02 and 66 came from the prototype table. The 66 was won through one of their random drawings for a chance to buy. I love demonstrators, so the 02 and 66 are very cool. The Italian Ice's pebbled look does not make them as attractive if you want to SEE the ink, but I also use it with a converter instead of eye dropping it; that might make a difference. Seeing it in light, and getting the puprle-ish flash, is particularly cool, though.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I've had the Antique Glass finish which is the same as Italian ice but had a green tint instead of purple. I like the glass (Antique and Italian ice) finishes better the the standard Ice finish. I just ordered the Model 02 in Italian ice. Yes the shape of the barrel looks a bit funny, but actually is nicer then it looks once you get used to it. It also allows the cap to post deeply.

I haven't used a model 03. I have considered it a few times but haven't bought one.

Again you can buy and F-C and try it for up to 30 days and return it for a refund or a different model if you don't like it.

I prefer to larger size 6 Jowo nib so I chose model 46 and Pocket 66. Nib swap is very easy which is a big advantage if you plan to try many different grinds etc.

Taper on the back of the body on the 20?

where do you see that? I think you meant the 02

actually I love my 20 Marietta (medium CI by Masuyama) the fact there are no threads or step down on the section makes it one of my favourite designs

(I don't mind the push on cap, it works rather well in my experience)

fpn_1576869530__p1170272-3_fc_20_mariett

actually I love my 20 Marietta (medium CI by Masuyama) the fact there are no threads or step down on the section makes it one of my favourite designs

Yes I meant the 02. I rather like the look of the model 20 as well. Ug! SO MANY CHOICES! :)

if you like portable size, as Como says, the pocket 66 is nice too. I also prefer #6 nibs.

fpn_1578520845__p1150337-3_fc_pocket_66_

I only have a problem with the step section to barrel, which I find somewhat sharp for the way I hold my pens, in fact that is why probably my next FC will be a 02... (the 02 carries a #6, doesn't it?...)

if you like portable size, as Como says, the pocket 66 is nice too. I also prefer #6 nibs.

I only have a problem with the step section to barrel, which I find somewhat sharp for the way I hold my pens, in fact that is why probably my next FC will be a 02... (the 02 carries a #6, doesn't it?...)

Yeah, I'm okay with the first one. I prefer that grip. Thanks for the info though

Does anyone have a pen in the Autumn Oak colour they could post a pic of, please? It seems quite similar to FCs Garnet acrylic, which I like but am not sure I want to duplicate too closely. Thanks!

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I'm a fan of the Marietta, but I wish they made it with a #6 nib that wasn't set into the section. I feel like that's where they faulted the design for the sake of size or aesthetics or whatever they were thinking.

I really like the section shape of this pen as well. I found it very comfortable, but I felt the step up from the section to the barrel is something they could improve upon.

I've actually been interested in the 03 Iterum. I am a little afraid the section size is a little too narrow towards the nib, but I do like the section shape. It's next on my F-C pens list.

I'm a fan of the Marietta, but I wish they made it with a #6 nib that wasn't set into the section. I feel like that's where they faulted the design for the sake of size or aesthetics or whatever they were thinking.

I really like the section shape of this pen as well. I found it very comfortable, but I felt the step up from the section to the barrel is something they could improve upon.

I've actually been interested in the 03 Iterum. I am a little afraid the section size is a little too narrow towards the nib, but I do like the section shape. It's next on my F-C pens list.

I agree I don't care that much for the inset nib on the model 20 and 31, but as long as the section isn't transparent I don't mind it that much in use. I just got the smoke and cranberry model 20 and am enjoying it. My model 31 currently is unused.

F-C said in one of the videos they need the step on the barrel of the front thread models to keep people from binding the thread when capping the pen. On a pen like the 31 the stop is on the end of the section with the inside of the cap. Which is why the 31 doesn't have the same blunt step-down on the barrel. On the model 02, 45XLV/45L, and P66, the step never bothered me in use. I would think if you were going to be bothered it would matter more on the 66, 45, and 46 since the section is not as long as on the model 02/03.

I am thinking of adding the 03 to my collection, but like you I wonder about how thin it is next to the threads at the end of the section. Not that I don't have pens that narrow or less that I don't mind using. It also isn't that much thinner then the 20. The model 03 goes from 9.9mm-12.9mm and the 20 from 10.4-13mm. I'm not sure how much 0.5mm really matters... and in the mid point of the section it's said to be around 11mm which is plenty wide enough for me.

I agree I don't care that much for the inset nib on the model 20 and 31, but as long as the section isn't transparent I don't mind it that much in use. I just got the smoke and cranberry model 20 and am enjoying it. My model 31 currently is unused.

F-C said in one of the videos they need the step on the barrel of the front thread models to keep people from binding the thread when capping the pen. On a pen like the 31 the stop is on the end of the section with the inside of the cap. Which is why the 31 doesn't have the same blunt step-down on the barrel. On the model 02, 45XLV/45L, and P66, the step never bothered me in use. I would think if you were going to be bothered it would matter more on the 66, 45, and 46 since the section is not as long as on the model 02/03.

I am thinking of adding the 03 to my collection, but like you I wonder about how thin it is next to the threads at the end of the section. Not that I don't have pens that narrow or less that I don't mind using. It also isn't that much thinner then the 20. The model 03 goes from 9.9mm-12.9mm and the 20 from 10.4-13mm. I'm not sure how much 0.5mm really matters... and in the mid point of the section it's said to be around 11mm which is plenty wide enough for me.

What's nice about the 31 is that it has a long section to choke up on, BUT I don't remember how balanced/comfortable the pen felt when doing so. When I tried choking up on the section of the 20 to accommodate the inset nib I didn't find it comfortable.

I see what you mean about the step up. I like being able to choke up on a pen sometimes, but with something like the 46, having a wide section and a #6 nib, I can live with it. But with something like the 45 and 55, where they have a #5 nib and a narrower section, I hesitate.

The reason why the 03 showed up on my radar was because I actually loved the section shape of the Pilot Explorer, which I think is similar to the 03. And though the Explorer's section is narrower, it's also a much lighter pen, and with the con70 it's very well balanced.

The fact that the nib is slightly inset in the 20 is an aesthetic matter and does not worry me, actually I don't mind how it looks while the concave section is very comfortable. I'm really very happy with my 20.

I do understand the technical reason for the step on those models that have threads on the front end of the section, now that you explain what FC said. The point is that (at least on the P66 which I own so I know how it feels) the section is too short for the way I hold pens, my fingers are on the step, and in particular the step is sharp! (were it smoothed out I would probably not be too bothered). A longer section would also help.

I was looking at the 66 too, but in my opinion the section is identical to the P66 and I would have the same problem...

Ref model 20 and 03, I'm curious to try 03, the longer section looks interesting, and in my opinion that 0.5 mm difference is quite marginal, you get used to it after a short while. On the 02 there is a step, but it looks smaller than on the P66, and the section also looks longer (so my fingers might actually be off the step).

A pity FC has taken down the photo they had on the site showing the uncapped array of pens...

Edited by sansenri

The fact that the nib is slightly inset in the 20 is an aesthetic matter and does not worry me, actually I don't mind how it looks while the concave section is very comfortable. I'm really very happy with my 20.

I do understand the technical reason for the step on those models that have threads on the front end of the section, now that you explain what FC said. The point is that (at least on the P66 which I own so I know how it feels) the section is too short for the way I hold pens, my fingers are on the step, and in particular the step is sharp! (were it smoothed out I would probably not be too bothered). A longer section would also help.

I was looking at the 66 too, but in my opinion the section is identical to the P66 and I would have the same problem...

Ref model 20 and 03, I'm curious to try 03, the longer section looks interesting, and in my opinion that 0.5 mm difference is quite marginal, you get used to it after a short while. On the 02 there is a step, but it looks smaller than on the P66, and the section also looks longer (so my fingers might actually be off the step).

A pity FC has taken down the photo they had on the site showing the uncapped array of pens...

The distance from the end of the section to the step on the model 02 is 28mm and the step is not at all sharp but my fingers don't come anywhere close to it. I would think the long section on the 03 should feel about the same but thinner. The comfort of the model 20 is really nice.

I do keep thinking about the model 03 in the smoke and marbled green. I am enjoying the smoke and cranberry 20 so much another pen with similar materials is really calling to me and the section shape looks comfortable.

From the wayback machine you can see an archived copy of the picture you talked about of pens uncapped. It's before many of the new models came out but better than nothing.

2578187_1_orig.jpg

Thank you for putting up the picture Driften! I'll save a copy now for future reference... :) it's especially useful to me.

Yes I think I would like the 02, the step looks small and far back.

Those colours you mention are nice actually. It's odd how FC rotates them, but I assume they have to work in batches.