Franklin-Christoph

WLSpec

So I've been thinking about purchasing one of these for a long time, and I have saved up enough to get one. I have heard great things about them but I don't know a ton about their pens. So I have a few questions. First, what would a good starter pen be? I'm not too worried about price, I just want a good model to start with. I was thinking about the 45L, so what do people think of that pen? A good starter? And does anyone have any more information about Franklin-Christoph? What is unique about these pens that makes people rave about them?

Thanks for any information and answers :thumbup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WLSpec

• Driften

• Mongoosey

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one F-C pen, the 02. It is a good pen. It does not rock my world, but it looks kind of quirky (a good thing). Good ergonomics.

I prefer pens with clips because I put them in my shirt or jacket pocket, but that's a personal preference. I do not think the one you chose has a clip.

Erick

Edited by langere

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I think from their logo and the overall pen design, they are striving to become a "luxury" brand in the future.

Right now, they have got many models and I have to say some of them looks quite elegant design-wise.

I have a FC Panther 40. My husband bought it for me when we were at the Denver Pen Show. It is a brown marble prototype which Scott had made just before the show and Jim Rouse - the FC nibmeister at the time - found the perfect nib for me - a Masuyama 14K medium cursive italic. It is one of my very favorite pens.

Scott told me that the Panthers are more time consuming to make so he does not produce too many of them. It is a larger pen in size but very lightweight. It suits me perfectly.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have a FC Panther 40. My husband bought it for me when we were at the Denver Pen Show. It is a brown marble prototype which Scott had made just before the show and Jim Rouse - the FC nibmeister at the time - found the perfect nib for me - a Masuyama 14K medium cursive italic. It is one of my very favorite pens.

Scott told me that the Panthers are more time consuming to make so he does not produce too many of them. It is a larger pen in size but very lightweight. It suits me perfectly.

Nice! I'm thinking about purchasing a 45L with a Masuyama m. stub. I'm a lefty, do you think that cursive italic will be too scratchy for me? I've heard that many lefties have no trouble with cursive italic, but I think the more rounded stub might be more lefty-friendly.

Franklin-Christoph's are great pens. They are made to last a lifetime, have a life-time warranty, and they pre-tune the nibs so they're ready to go.

I think the Model 45L has a great shape to the section. I prefer the thicker version of the Model 46. I am hoping one day they make a Model 46 with a clip, like how they seem to have done the Model 45L, adding a clip (and ink window) and calling it the Model 55.

I like how they use Jowo nib units, which work great with my desert island ink, Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

Here is a link to a thread where people wrote about their F-C Pens.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/262792-who-is-using-franklin-christoph/page-10?hl=%2Bwho+%2Busing+%2Bfranklin+%2Bchristoph&do=findComment&comment=4168728

I have the #31 Omnis. I bought it with a broad stub and was underwhelmed. I exchanged that nib for a broad italic, and am happy. Both nibs were Masuyama. Franklin-Christoph are very good to work with. They are good about answering emails too. I wrote and let them know what I liked, and they said the italic. After that I wrote with a pen club friend’s F-C pens and ordered the stub. F-C exchanged it, and all was well.

Posted Image

Here is a link to a thread where people wrote about their F-C Pens.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/262792-who-is-using-franklin-christoph/page-10?hl=%2Bwho+%2Busing+%2Bfranklin+%2Bchristoph&do=findComment&comment=4168728

I have the #31 Omnis. I bought it with a broad stub and was underwhelmed. I exchanged that nib for a broad italic, and am happy. Both nibs were Masuyama. Franklin-Christoph are very good to work with. They are good about answering emails too. I wrote and let them know what I liked, and they said the italic. After that I wrote with a pen club friend’s F-C pens and ordered the stub. F-C exchanged it, and all was well.

Thanks for letting me know. I might go with the medium cursive italic, though I'm not too worried about massive line variation.

F-C pens aren’t elegant, not particularly flashy, in general. The Masuyama nibs are wonderful. Definitely worth the upgrade. I like the CI and don’t have any issues using them, but I’m right handed.

In deciding which pen model I look at the measurements and compare to other pens I have to try to be comfortable that it will fit my hand.

I don’t think any of the models are more starter pens than the others, except the Model 33 and the pocket pens are a little bit out of the ordinary size and shape. It would depend if those particularly appeal to you.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I think they are elegant, in a modern art kind of way. And at the same time they're not at all pretentious. I think they know what they're doing. I have model 02 and I bought it because of the weird coloring but the shape is actually gorgeous and easy to write with. I also bought model 20 and it's also nice but I don't like the cap that doesn't click or screw. I would definitely run to them at the next pen show to see what's going on.

Edited by Rancho Gordo

I think they are elegant, in a modern art kind of way. And at the same time they're not at all pretentious. I think they know what they're doing. I have model 02 and I bought it because of the weird coloring but the shape is actually gorgeous and easy to write with. I also bought model 20 and it's also nice but I don't like the cap that doesn't click or screw. I would definitely run to them at the next pen show to see what's going on.

F-C pens aren’t elegant, not particularly flashy, in general. The Masuyama nibs are wonderful. Definitely worth the upgrade. I like the CI and don’t have any issues using them, but I’m right handed.

In deciding which pen model I look at the measurements and compare to other pens I have to try to be comfortable that it will fit my hand.

I don’t think any of the models are more starter pens than the others, except the Model 33 and the pocket pens are a little bit out of the ordinary size and shape. It would depend if those particularly appeal to you.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to get either a model 45L or a Pelikan M205 demonstrator - and I already own an M400, so it's now up to the choice. I am leaning towards the franklin christoph because I don't have one and the masuyama grinds really intrigue me.

Hi WLSpec,

I think you are leaning the right way. I have Pelikan pens, and like them. F-C offers more nib choices, which I really appreciate.

The SIG nib, or Stub Italic Gradient might also be an option.

Maybe contact F-C, and let them know you are left-handed, and how you hold your pen. Ask if the nib options you are considering would work for you. They should reply with advice. It’s a tricky time with the holidays, so maybe wait till after New Year’s Day.

By the way, in your experience is there a fast drying ink you like? My brother is left-handed. I recently learned he has one fountain pen. I doubt he has ever used it. But maybe he would if encouraged. Two of the three of us use fountain pen regularly. But we are both right-handed.

Posted Image

+1

I think they're elegant as well, with an somewhat understated look that keeps them from being showy. They have a unique style.

Hi WLSpec,

I think you are leaning the right way. I have Pelikan pens, and like them. F-C offers more nib choices, which I really appreciate.

Maybe contact F-C, and let them know you are left-handed, and how you hold your pen. Ask if the nib options you are considering would work for you. They should reply with advice. It’s a tricky time with the holidays, so maybe wait till after New Year’s Day.

By the way, in your experience is there a fast drying ink you like? My brother is left-handed. I recently learned he has one fountain pen. I doubt he has ever used it. But maybe he would if encouraged. Two of the three of us use fountain pen regularly. But we are both right-handed.

I just bought a fountain pen for a lefty, and I found the easiest way to go was to get them a nice smooth nib and smooth ink for cheap paper so it absorbs fast. Otherwise... they have to learn the under-handed technique.

I’ve been a Franklin-Christoph fan for some time — most of the pens I own are discontinued (the M-14, the Collegia 27, the Panther 40, the 29) although I have a black and creme 19 which is still in production. The 19 has a 0.09 cursive italic nib, the 29 a 1.1 mm italic, and the rest are fine nibs. All are well made, but I find I’m drawn to the 19 and the 40. They are surprisingly light in the hand and their nibs the most responsive. I will say the F-C ball point refills (I got the FP/BP set for the 27) are superb.

Hi WLSpec,

Thanks for the advice. I could just wait till the Baltimore pen show to try them our (assuming they will be there) but I'm not patient enough :lol:

A dry ink.... Pelikan 4001 is one of the driest because pelikan was such wet pens, and I really like that. I actually prefer wet inks though, as I am an underwriter and I don't have to worry too much about smudging. But for side/overwriters, I would try Pelikan 4001 (I used to be a side writer and trained myself to underwrite because I smudged SO much)

I’ve been a Franklin-Christoph fan for some time — most of the pens I own are discontinued (the M-14, the Collegia 27, the Panther 40, the 29) although I have a black and creme 19 which is still in production. The 19 has a 0.09 cursive italic nib, the 29 a 1.1 mm italic, and the rest are fine nibs. All are well made, but I find I’m drawn to the 19 and the 40. They are surprisingly light in the hand and their nibs the most responsive. I will say the F-C ball point refills (I got the FP/BP set for the 27) are superb.

Thanks for letting me know, I will check those out

I have the model 33 abditus. It's a nice writer. Definitely opt for the Masuyama mod if available.

Yes, I am deciding between the Ci and stub

I have a 45L with a Masuyama medium cursive italic and a 46 with a Masuyama broad stub.

The cursive italic is quite sharp. I enjoy the precise feel and crisp line variation. The broad stub is much smoother and wetter, and more forgiving of haphazard penmanship such as mine.

Both are excellent pens. I like their unadorned style. If I could change one thing about the design it would be the step-up at the back of the section, where my grip tends to rest. Overall, I prefer the size of the 45L.

I have a 45L with a Masuyama medium cursive italic and a 46 with a Masuyama broad stub.

The cursive italic is quite sharp. I enjoy the precise feel and crisp line variation. The broad stub is much smoother and wetter, and more forgiving of haphazard penmanship such as mine.

Both are excellent pens. I like their unadorned style. If I could change one thing about the design it would be the step-up at the back of the section, where my grip tends to rest. Overall, I prefer the size of the 45L.

Those are the two pens and nibs I was thinking about actually, so thanks for the info! It is very fortunate for me that you prefer the 45L because it is less expensive! :D I don't mind the smaller nib, actually, so long as I am able to get the grind that I want.

I am leaning towards the 45L now. Thanks for swaying me away from the extra 15 bucks :thumbup: I was originally going for the 45L and then towards the 46, but I'm back to my original plan.

Being a lefty with a little trouble with sharp/scratchy nibs, I might go for the broad stub.