Why Is Nobody Talking About Santini Italia Pens?

YonathanZ

Well thanks y'all! I found this thread this morning and immediately ordered a Libra (ebonite) Cherry with a fine "Flexy" nib. All of that after deciding to not add pens to my collection this year. So much for new years resolutions! Regardless, I am excited to own a new ebonite piston filler, especially with a handmade nib. I will try to post feedback whenever I do get the pen.

Gobblecup ~

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

• Gobblecup

• penzel_washinkton

At first I thought that this brand is just another Italian brand with a really expensive price tag.

But then I noticed that they use 18K gold nibs for all (CMIIW) of their models and they provide free shipping internationally, I started to think that hey this is not a bad deal. They also provide the Flexy nib and stub with no additional charge to boot.

I am currently looking at the Libra models like the Lord and Grape. And out of nowhere, I might just spend by yearly pen allowance on a Santini this year....

At first I thought that this brand is just another Italian brand with a really expensive price tag.

But then I noticed that they use 18K gold nibs for all (CMIIW) of their models and they provide free shipping internationally, I started to think that hey this is not a bad deal. They also provide the Flexy nib and stub with no additional charge to boot.

I am currently looking at the Libra models like the Lord and Grape. And out of nowhere, I might just spend by yearly pen allowance on a Santini this year....

I am with you there, they will even customize the flexibility to your liking before shipment!

Gobblecup ~

Got mine this Friday, one week after I ordered it. Very impressive, considering it was shipped from Italy and the nib being a stub has longer lead times.

Total cost to me was $400, which is very reasonable for a small batch Ebonite piston filler with an 18K nib and Ebonite feed. (Did I mention that I really love modern Ebonite pens?)

Came in a very fancy wooden display box, wrapped with ribbons and everything :P

Most importantly though, it's an excellent writer. Wet & bouncy with line variation characteristic to stubs, giving your handwriting an instant flair.

-k

post-115203-0-06225700-1581312426_thumb.jpg

Got mine this Friday, one week after I ordered it. Very impressive, considering it was shipped from Italy and the nib being a stub has longer lead times.

Total cost to me was $400, which is very reasonable for a small batch Ebonite piston filler with an 18K nib and Ebonite feed. (Did I mention that I really love modern Ebonite pens?)

Most importantly though, it's an excellent writer. Wet & bouncy with line variation characteristic to stubs, giving your handwriting an instant flair.

-k

I was eyeing the Cherry but it only came in Ebonite which is just out of my price range unfortunately.

-k

Wow it looks beautiful in your pictures! Mine just shipped today and I got a writing sample sent to me via email this morning. I have a F flexy nib with a little bit of flex added. I think after seeing your writing sample I may need a different color ebonite with a stub nib. How would you describe the piston filling system? Is it smooth? How is the finishing and polish overall?

Gobblecup ~

Finish is a mirror polish. I didn't find any flaws.

The piston moves very easily, but I can't figure out if it's a true piston or a captive converter.

When you are expelling ink, the knob will eventually reach a hard stop. Drawink *in* ink, eventually it will ratchet when you reach the top position. The filler knob also doesn't move in or out like with an MB or Pelikan.

-k

The piston moves very easily, but I can't figure out if it's a true piston or a captive converter.

I don't know what the authoritative definition of "captive converter" is within the industry or hobby. I will assume and/or conclude, however, that it is not defined by elimination of "what other filling mechanisms are not".

According to Santini himself, the pen uses a German-made Schmidt component for the piston-filled ink reservoir, which I'll assume is along the lines of the KFH450 unit.

The inside surface of the pen's ebonite or acrylic barrel is not the wall of the ink reservoir, but the housing of the nib unit screws directly into the piston-filled ink reservoir unit. While I understand some fountain pen users/purchasers may find that suboptimal and/or unsatisfactory as a piston-filler, there is no separate converter that is "captive" by being held or locked in place by the barrel but can be driven without unscrewing the barrel from the section; the inner core, up to the thread that holds the nib housing in place inside the gripping section, is a single self-contained piece.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have to agree with SD. What is usually understood to be a captive converter (though I also don't know of an "authoritative" definition that specifies this) is just a standard converter that can be accessed via a blind cap without the need to unscrew the barrel. Sometimes the piston knob is metal, but the capacity is similar to that of a standard converter. The KFH450 component is more sophisticated, being an integral part of the pen and with a larger ink capacity.

It's similar to what is found in the Swan Moneta and Centropen 10014.

Edited by Theroc

Is that why some have made comment about Santini barrels being made of a metal on the inside? It is basically a prefabricated piston filing system made to fit a variety of models by Schmidt? Trying to understand the concept here. Some have said they measured 1.5mL of ink capacity with these pens, that is well within the range of M800/M1000 Pelikans, so if this is the case it would seem these serve the same functions. Namely, large ink capacity and no need to disassemble the pen barrel to fill the pen.

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

I found this thread last night and it has been illuminating. The pens are, indeed, quite compelling and at a reasonable price point for what is offered. However, does anyone else have a problem with their website taking forever to load? I felt like I was back in the days of dialup connections!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Is that why some have made comment about Santini barrels being made of a metal on the inside? It is basically a prefabricated piston filing system made to fit a variety of models by Schmidt? Trying to understand the concept here. Some have said they measured 1.5mL of ink capacity with these pens, that is well within the range of M800/M1000 Pelikans, so if this is the case it would seem these serve the same functions. Namely, large ink capacity and no need to disassemble the pen barrel to fill the pen.

I've measured 1.3ml by weight. Not definitive by any means.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I've measured 1.3ml by weight. Not definitive by any means.

Still not a bad ink capacity, especially if that is reflective of a lower bound. Perhaps with more people trying these pens a better consensus on the average capacity might be determined.

Gobblecup ~

Still not a bad ink capacity, especially if that is reflective of a lower bound.

Not in my experience. Mind you, I don't have science lab quality equipment for making measurements, and only used a plastic sample vial with 0.5ml gradation markings as well as a 1ml syringe with 0.1ml gradation markings.

Perhaps with more people trying these pens a better consensus on the average capacity might be determined.

But the "average" capacity is irrelevant. Why not just ask Santini and/or Schmidt what the maximum ink capacity of that component is, on the assumption that they are all manufactured by Schmidt to meet the same set of specifications, so that getting any less than that from a full fill comes down to the technique of the individual user?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I found this thread last night and it has been illuminating. The pens are, indeed, quite compelling and at a reasonable price point for what is offered. However, does anyone else have a problem with their website taking forever to load? I felt like I was back in the days of dialup connections!

Sometimes they load fast but other times their loading times are frustrating.

Also for Santini owners, could you confirm that they are using a #6 sized nib?

Are the housing screw in type to the section and are the nibs swappable with a Jowo / Bock?

Edited by penzel_washinkton

But the "average" capacity is irrelevant. Why not just ask Santini and/or Schmidt what the maximum ink capacity of that component is, on the assumption that they are all manufactured by Schmidt to meet the same set of specifications, so that getting any less than that from a full fill comes down to the technique of the individual user?

For you.

Weighing method works well enough for me. I feel no need to bother the lovely Santinis, nor to attempt getting an answer from Schmidt.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Also for Santini owners, could you confirm that they are using a #6 sized nib?

Sorry, but I cannot confirm it, when I don't know what the authoritative, brand-agnostic specification for a "#6 sized nib" is, or whether there is such a specification. Do JoWo #6, Bock #6, Moonman #6 and FPR #6 nibs all fit a single specification for a "#6 sized nib" for length from tip to base, width from shoulder to shoulder, and perhaps curvature of the nib body as well?

Are the housing screw in type to the section

On the Calypso, yes.

and are the nibs swappable with a Jowo / Bock?

Not interested in that, sorry, especially if you're talking about the housing unit as opposed to pulling out the nib by brute force and shoving another nib in its place on top of the Santini ebonite feed.

Sorry, but I cannot confirm it, when I don't know what the authoritative, brand-agnostic specification for a "#6 sized nib" is, or whether there is such a specification. Do JoWo #6, Bock #6, Moonman #6 and FPR #6 nibs all fit a single specification for a "#6 sized nib" for length from tip to base, width from shoulder to shoulder, and perhaps curvature of the nib body as well?

No issues, I think it is not required to make things too complicated regarding nib sizes. Also I just noticed that Santini themselves stated on their web that they use #6 nibs on the product page (I somehow missed it)

On the Calypso, yes.

Not interested in that, sorry, especially if you're talking about the housing unit as opposed to pulling out the nib by brute force and shoving another nib in its place on top of the Santini ebonite feed.

No, I meant the nib alone and not the housing since it is almost certain it is a proprietary Santini nib housing. The reason why I am interested is that there are other specialty nibs that is not available on the Santini nib selection. Thanks though for the information regarding screw in type to the section.

Edited by penzel_washinkton