Sailor Blue Wave Ebonite King Of Pen Naginata-Togi Le

jandrese

Normally, I go in for urushi pens these days but when I saw this one in person, and more importantly, wrote with it I had to have it. This is an all ebonite King of Pen in a unique pattern they call Blue Wave. The included card says that it is coated three times with urushi but it still smells of ebonite so who knows. A press release also said the grip section was PMMA, which is extremely unlikely to be the case. Anyway, this is a King of Pen and as such has the large 21k nib, the giant feed, and the small converter. As I've said before it really is a perfect pen. This one, however, is more perfect. The naginata-togi nib is sublime. This is a limited edition pen and only 400 were made. These nibs are said to be some of the last produced by Sailor's resident nibmeister, Yukio Nagahara, before he leaves Sailor in early 2020. I don't know about that but nib is insane. Horizontal line width depends on the writing angle but the smoothness and ink flow are superior, even for a KOP.

KOP packaging, pretty standard from what I've seen, for an upper end KOP that is.

49278362541_72adab0bb8_k.jpgIMG_3781 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49278362446_c4407af4d1_k.jpgIMG_3782 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Just look at this beauty! Trust me, in person it's even better. Clearly a well made luxury pen.

49276432531_e2caa398ac_k.jpgIMG_3767 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49275967953_ad6ef00db2_k.jpgIMG_3771 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

That nib! Seriously amazing.

49276630612_7ea1ec1710_k.jpgIMG_3773 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49276630692_7680151278_k.jpgIMG_3772 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49275968093_9b9c7fb79c_k.jpgIMG_3769 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Gold plated Sailor logo finial. My urushi KOP models are rounded at the ends in the familiar cigar shape. This one is squared off some at the ends. The cap is interchangeable with my other KOP pens so dimensions are very similar.

49276630387_81f2bbf114_k.jpgIMG_3775 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

The inside of the cap is beautifully machined and has various liners for doing things.

49276630517_af9065b417_h.jpgIMG_3774 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

The LE number is indicated on the rear of the cap.

49275967248_a46d6e1047_h.jpgIMG_3776 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49276431456_d9936e0720_k.jpgIMG_3778 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

A joy to write with.

49278031307_f903153f65_h.jpgblue wave by Ja Ja, on Flickr

If you run across one I highly suggest you pick one up. Dromgooles in Houston probably still has some more.

Edited by jandrese

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• Doug C

• OmegaMountain

• WLSpec

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent acquisition! Congratulations. Is Yukio Nagahara also behind Sailor's EF nibs? Or are those done in some more automated manner?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

That's a thing of beauty. The ebonite is similar to that of my Eboya Manten. My wallet would likely wither at the price, however.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

That's a thing of beauty. The ebonite is similar to that of my Eboya Manten. My wallet would likely wither at the price, however.

I have an Eboya Manten and was thinking exactly the same thing!

I saw the pen at both Maruzen and Itoya and had to hold myself back from a purchase. They're really beautiful, but I really don't need any more pens.

Enjoy it in good health.

Too many pens; too little writing.

You have a strong will. I don't need more pens either, not by a long shot.

I saw the pen at both Maruzen and Itoya and had to hold myself back from a purchase. They're really beautiful, but I really don't need any more pens.

Enjoy it in good health.

What width did you get? I cant tell from the photos of it is NM or NMF.

Thanks for the photos. This looks better then the stock photos I have seen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

NM.

Yeah, the Japanese companies are not usually the greatest at promo pics.

What width did you get? I cant tell from the photos of it is NM or NMF.

Thanks for the photos. This looks better then the stock photos I have seen.

It is a beautiful pen, I am seriously thinking of buying one. Waiting for confirmation from a dealer that they are in stock! Thanks for sharing the great photos.

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to ask what ink did you use, but I believe I have just seen your review of it :)

No words can do this pen justice, it's simply perfect. Congratulations!

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

This is amazing, are you sure Yukio Nagahara tunes them? I have heard he is the one who monitors the nibs and not actually grinds them.

Check back smarty pants! :-)

I actually checked back.

It was worth it.....

That is some nice pen.

the Danitrio Fellowship