Sailor Manyo Yomogi

jandrese

I recently picked up Sailor Manyo Yomogi and absolutely love it. The teal-ish blue is right up my alley and the ink performance is pretty spectacular. Great flow, fast drying, no bleed through, little show through, no ignition issues, and no smearing. The color is vibrant blue with more than a hint of teal or light turquoise. It might sheen some on the fringes on some paper (looking at you Tomoe River) but not on copy paper or bagasse. Has that Sailor ink smell but it dissipates fast. The squarish bottle is really quite nice. This will be a go-to ink for sure.

49277356358_0f5c4d12c7_k.jpgyomoji by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Not much for water resistance but that is no surprise.

49277828706_8ea28f9805_h.jpgyomogi wr 1 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Chromatography shows perhaps just two dye components. Cerulean blue and a yellow (yellow and blue make green) or maybe it is a frank light green dye. Simple ink anyway but beautiful.

49277356378_7c843619a7_b.jpgyomogi chroma by Ja Ja, on Flickr

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• chromantic

• JulieParadise

• Karmachanic

Wow, really nice color! And nice work on the review. Thanks.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks for the review. I'm wondering if anyone out there can do a side by side between this and MB Leo Tolstoy LE from a couple of years ago. I bought a bottle of that on a trip to Fountain Pen Hospital (mostly on a whim, since it's not normally a color range I like) -- and of course it's not really available anymore. I had hoped that KWZI Walks Over Vistula would be a good substitute, but they're just enough different from each other that it turned out not to be the case.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Great introduction to this fairly new ink, thank you!

A friend of mine gave a sample of it as well as of Robert Oster Aqua: These two inks are twins! Aqua might be a tad bit darker, but both have pink sheen abd pretty much the same colour. Once I have access to a computer again I will post a comparison pic.

Welcome. I'd like to see the RO Aqua. I did fine a bit of a reddish/pink sheen halo when using Tomoe River paper. That was with the very juicy naginata-togi nib so I'm not sure it would show with a nib with lesser flow.

Great introduction to this fairly new ink, thank you!

A friend of mine gave a sample of it as well as of Robert Oster Aqua: These two inks are twins! Aqua might be a tad bit darker, but both have pink sheen abd pretty much the same colour. Once I have access to a computer again I will post a comparison pic.

I also love Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku ink. I'm looking at them side by side right now on paper. Very hard to distinguish. The Pilot seems a bit darker, a bit more green but they are really very similar. No wonder I like Yomogi.

I also love Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku ink. I'm looking at them side by side right now on paper. Very hard to distinguish. The Pilot seems a bit darker, a bit more green but they are really very similar. No wonder I like Yomogi.

Thank you for pointing that out. As soon as I saw your first post my reaction was 'yes please.' Now I know why. I'll stick with the Ku-Jaku for now.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thanks for the review. I'm wondering if anyone out there can do a side by side between this and MB Leo Tolstoy LE from a couple of years ago. I bought a bottle of that on a trip to Fountain Pen Hospital (mostly on a whim, since it's not normally a color range I like) -- and of course it's not really available anymore. I had hoped that KWZI Walks Over Vistula would be a good substitute, but they're just enough different from each other that it turned out not to be the case.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Tolstoy is a strange one. I don't think I've found anything at all that matches it. Pure Pens Celtic Sea has some similar aspects but it's lighter and much brighter. Bungubox Ruri Umi Sea has the same grey tone but is much lighter. There just doesn't seem to be anything out there that is a direct doppleganger sadly.

Tolstoy is a magnificent ink, one of my favorites. I don't think it resembles this Sailor ink at all.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I don't have Tolstoy. I have many (many) other turquoise inks and have a post here comparing many of them. After studying reviews of Tolstoy and seeing comparisons to inks I own I can't help but agree. There is nothing similar with Yomogi except that they are blue inks. Anyway, Tolstoy is long gone.

Tolstoy is a magnificent ink, one of my favorites. I don't think it resembles this Sailor ink at all.

You made it look so pretty, I had to order a bottle. :)

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post your review. What a nice color! If I didn't have so many other inks in this general shade, I would have to buy a bottle of it.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Hmm, hmmm ... When I put my blobs and samples on paper some days ago I would have sworn Sailor Manyo Yomogi & Robert Oster Aqua were twins, almost identical. Now that I took a photo I see that Aqua is definitely more green, but, this is a lot more pronounced on the pic (and a screen) than what I see in front of me in real life/light right now. For a comparison shot please follow this link to my Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6qMvEdiOWd/

Hmm, hmmm ... When I put my blobs and samples on paper some days ago I would have sworn Sailor Manyo Yomogi & Robert Oster Aqua were twins, almost identical. Now that I took a photo I see that Aqua is definitely more green, but, this is a lot more pronounced on the pic (and a screen) than what I see in front of me in real life/light right now. For a comparison shot please follow this link to my Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6qMvEdiOWd/

Interesting. They are similar. Aqua is more green as you say. It also seems more saturated and sheens more readily.

My bottle arrived today. In the (freshly flushed) Sport, it's a pale, pretty blue, lighter than the drying-time smears; even after sitting overnight it's still pretty light. Guess it's back to an Iro for that pen, though while I ordered Syo-ro I think Ku-jaku would be a better match.

I also put it in a M300 and used it all night at work; it's much closer to your review in that, if a bit darker. On the BnR pad at home, there's a copious amount of pink sheen, similar to OS Nitrogen.

Thanks again for showing it to us.