[Mini Review] Colorverse - Joy In The Ordinary - Brunch Date

Intensity

Disclaimer: I enjoy doing mini ink reviews for my personal reference, and I'd like to share them with others if they might be of help to gain an insight into the ink's appearance and performance. I generally don't have time to put together super comprehensive reviews, like some of our fantastic reviewers here do (thank you so much for your hard work!), but hopefully these mini reviews will still be useful as another point of reference. My photographs are color-corrected and generally more accurate for color reference than the scans.

Colorverse ~ Joy in the Ordinary ~ Brunch Date

Colorverse, a Korean ink brand, is a fairly recent venture into fountain pen inks--as of the last few years. In that time, the brand has managed to quickly become quite popular with the on-line fountain pen community worldwide. Their color themes and naming are fun, generally Astronomy and Physics-inspired, with interesting colors and meticulous attention to detail with packaging. Normally, Colorverse inks come in 65mm round bottles with accompaying 15ml bottles, either of the same color, or the same color + shimmer, or a companion color. More recently colorverse started making oval-shaped 30ml bottles of some of the glistening companion inks as well as this new mini-line named "Joy in the Ordinary".

Joy in the Ordinary celebrates mundane every-day-life things, like walking your dog in a park or, in this case, a brunch date/meeting. The colors in this line are soft and pastel-inspired, probably to further emphasize finding joy in nuances.

I elected to try Brunch Date, as it seemed like a curious combination of brown-taupe and pink, which I found appealing and unusual. Looking at on-line reviews of this ink, it wasn't too clear just how brown-leaning this ink would be and how dark and legible. Now I've had the opportunity to test the ink myself.

Fun packaging with great attention to detail: even the inside of the outer cardboard box has printed symbols on it--even the top cover flap edge did not go unadorned!

kyfwgDp.jpg

This kind of ink color is difficult to represent correctly, but I'd like you to imagine a very translucent peachy pink that has been contaminated with gray-brown watercolor, mixed, et voila! In person, it's on the general pink spectrum, but very fashionable adult-pink or vintage faded pink rather than baby pink.

C2YRQdP.jpg

You notice I have included J. Herbin's Rouille d'Ancre in the comparison -- that's because I immediately thought of that ink seeing Brunch Date. But the two are not the same. Rouille d'Ancre is a more pure color, Brunch Date has more gray-brown to tone it down.

sxW4Dje.jpg

The ink layers and shades very well, going from super pale to fairly dark. There is a very visible dark outline effect in wet areas which aids with legibility. Water resistance is almost nonexistent: a highly faded yellowish line remains, but not necessarily enough of it to read what was left behind.

Scans - not as accurate as the photographs above, imagine the scans slightly less vibrant pink and slightly peachy-brownish:

Fabriano Brioprima 85g 4mm dot grid, ivory toned:

xhgHhEl.jpg

Tomoe River 52g "white":

3Z3LCfK.jpg

Nakabayashi Logical Swing "A" loose leaf paper:

oGQEXBS.jpg

Kokuyo A5 loose leaf paper:

r6jh96S.jpg

Some purple and pink-leaning inks for general reference:

Y8PDfaP.jpg

Comparison with PenBBS #178 "Rose Quartz" on Rhodia Dot Pad paper. "Rose Quartz" is super difficult to get right--it's more pink in person than on this scan. The Colorverse ink looks about right here:

PjO3hJi.jpg

Conclusion:

Fun ink. Whether you find it beautiful and enjoyable will be highly subjective to each individual. Personally, I like it a lot, and especially see it as being a beautiful ink for embellishing margins for main writing and also for drawing. It makes me think of dried flowers an dyed fabrics. Its lack of water resistance is disappointing to me, but it does seem to be a very safe and neutral ink of low saturation and neutral pH (Colorverse lists this one at pH of 6.9).

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• amberleadavis

• namrehsnoom

• Intensity

Thank you for this visit with new shade of ink I had not noticed from Colorverse; this is one of the aspects of ink "reviews" that I appreciate. I will seek inks that I am drawn to & not follow up on those that are not in my normal realm of interest. THIS is an ink I would never have realised was as interesting as you demonstrated; it is the nuances of an ink that we fail to appreciate when the initial swab of ink is advertised (& as we all know these are not as realistic as we would hope!)

It is not important whether I desire to purchase this ink after seeing your introduction but for me important that I am aware of its characteristics & can see the appeal for its qualities.

You have captured the essence of why I appreciate & enjoy the introduction to inks through "reviews," whatever form they may take. Thank you for sharing your experience with this ink.

I like the color! A bit reminiscent of JHerbin Rouille D'Ancre, which apparently I alone like.

Also love your reviews. :)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Thank you for this visit with new shade of ink I had not noticed from Colorverse; this is one of the aspects of ink "reviews" that I appreciate. I will seek inks that I am drawn to & not follow up on those that are not in my normal realm of interest. THIS is an ink I would never have realised was as interesting as you demonstrated; it is the nuances of an ink that we fail to appreciate when the initial swab of ink is advertised (& as we all know these are not as realistic as we would hope!)

It is not important whether I desire to purchase this ink after seeing your introduction but for me important that I am aware of its characteristics & can see the appeal for its qualities.

You have captured the essence of why I appreciate & enjoy the introduction to inks through "reviews," whatever form they may take. Thank you for sharing your experience with this ink.

Well said! I can not add anything more.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you for the definitely-not-mini review. I have Rouille d'Ancre and I like it, but find it kinda difficult to use except for stuff that no one else but me is gonna read, so I'm gonna give this one a pass

Wonderful review. Ink looks like a very good match for the Red Tortoise (which I consider the most beautiful fountain pen that i have - and one of the nicest Pelikans around).

I haven't tried any Colorverse inks yet. To be honest i am a bit hesitant because many reviews mention issues with them - like severe dryness. But the colours look so intriguing... I guess I'll have to give it a try soon.

Wonderful review. Ink looks like a very good match for the Red Tortoise (which I consider the most beautiful fountain pen that i have - and one of the nicest Pelikans around).

I haven't tried any Colorverse inks yet. To be honest i am a bit hesitant because many reviews mention issues with them - like severe dryness. But the colours look so intriguing... I guess I'll have to give it a try soon.

Thanks for the review. I bought this ink to use as shading in my journal doodle and drawings, sometimes using a dip pen or brush, and I see in your review similarities in my experience. I have it in a broad nib GVF pen and it’s visible enough on the page, but when I layer or use a brush I get a nice mottled texture. I used it for Baby Yoda’s jacket in the #Leonardobabyyoda giveaway on Instagram and got a nice effect. I have the whole line of these inks because they are interestingly coordinated to one another, as the drawing in the Colorverse add campaign, and I’m finding them very fun to mix and match from writing journal passages to colorizing my doodles.

“I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn.” - Dorothy Parker

Intensity... I see you are using an FPR Himalaya. The orange acrylic has me very interested. How do you like yours?

It's a very nice pen for that price point (and higher). I find the shape of the section to be comfortable and secure. The pen is lightweight. I like the push piston style of the original converter--yes it might get slightly stuck when cleaning the pen on the first push, but then it makes flushing the feed very easy afterwards. The V2 version has a twist converter. The converters are made of that "fragrant" vegetal resin, which can supposedly smell less after a wash in a mild bleach solution.

I have 2 in ebonite at the moment: brown with #5.5 ultraflex nib and ebonite flex feed and green with #6 ultraflex nib and ebonite flex feed. The ebonite feed allows more ink in a fine line, more like simple vintage feeds--a property I appreciate. The #5.5 pen apparently fits a lot of vintage nibs, per Honeybadgers. I have a vintage Pelikan CN nib on the way in EEF to put into the #5.5 Himalaya soon. Personally I don't like the acrylic for the harder and colder feel of the material and more slippery, kind of oily sensation. I had a white Taj Mahal Himalaya, and while it was beautiful, I didn't keep it for those reasons. I know a lot of people like acrylic pens, I'm just not one of them.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thanks! I'm glad you mentioned the scent. This would be a deal-killer for me.

Maybe I can console myself with a bottle of that ink.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful review.... thank you! I had gotten Sea Europa a while ago hoping it would be pinkish like this. I was very disappointed with that one but think Brunch might be what I was after! Helps that these inks are at a lower price point...less risk for trying out.

Much appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This could be one of your reviews! You are inspiring others!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for sharing this with us and doing such a through job.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY