Ginga, Uruguay. An Esterbrook Clone

antoniosz

I have always been absolutely fascinated with what we call "clones" over the ages. Here is another one. You Esties fans might like it. Ginga from Uruguay with a Warranted 2668 nib. Who made it? When? Why? No answers, just questions at this point... Any ideas please let me know.

79889577_10221705126163783_3316270139028

80121679_10221705126683796_4299315589609

80101589_10221705181285161_7400298418456

79665055_10221705181965178_1535536518687

80365457_10221705182485191_4273140882087

80414711_10221705183165208_1226035471621

80728095_10221705183685221_6921847076091

80206035_10221705184925252_5404008214960

Edited by antoniosz

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• Jerome Tarshis

• FarmBoy

• gweimer1

Those are import tax stamps on the pens. Ginga was apparently a japanese manufacturer that made Esterbrook clones during the 1950's and 1960's:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/195612-ginga-fp-any-data/

Thanks Carlos. I was just looking at that post! One of the tax stamps says: Setiebre 1952.

If it's the "Warranted" I know, they made 14K nibs for other penmakers, and loose nibs as replacements. So did Esterbrook make these for Warranted, or ..... ?

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

If it's the "Warranted" I know, they made 14K nibs for other penmakers, and loose nibs as replacements. So did Esterbrook make these for Warranted, or ..... ?

I have a Whymper clone, and it has a Warranted 2668 nib on it. I think my Masterlook pen set also has a numbered nib.

We found out at the Ohio Pen Show this year that Esterbrook would make nibs in quantity. The Warren Mfg. Paper Pen used nibs made by Esterbrook, without their name on them.

I have a Whymper clone, and it has a Warranted 2668 nib on it. I think my Masterlook pen set also has a numbered nib.

We found out at the Ohio Pen Show this year that Esterbrook would make nibs in quantity. The Warren Mfg. Paper Pen used nibs made by Esterbrook, without their name on them.

Whymper clone! Can we see a picture?

I believe Warranted was a subsidiary of Generic, a much larger company. The division was briefly called Guaranteed, but then they changed the name. Commercial description is sometimes inexact. From reading various posts by people who do pen repair, I get the impression that not all nibs warranted to be 14K really were a full 14K. I post that last sentence under correction, and would be happy to hear from people who have looked into this.

We once tested various nibs produced by the said Warranted and they sparsely warranted the 14K monicker in that 14 was a stretch even if one used new math rounding.

Based on the age of the Warranted nibs it most certainly is not the name of a town in Connecticut or a village in China a few miles from the known birthplace of Iridium Tipped.

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

My sister lives near Iridium Point, an exclusive and not merely expensive village on the North Shore of Long Island. The residents have been able to conceal the town 's existence from the editors of Forbes Magazine, but it has come to the attention of manufacturers in both Germany and China.

I think Jerome is joking.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I think Jerome is joking.

I see the humor but then I’m equally derailed in that department.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.