• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• DrDebG

• namrehsnoom

• Intensity

Thank you so much for doing this review. I have been curious about Straits inks. I am glad to see someone has been able to get some and try it out. The color reminds me of Callifolio Olivestre.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

It would interesting to compare this to Storm Warning, one of the special fundraiser LE inks that the Central Ohio Pen Club was selling at the Ohio Pen Show in November. I just inked up a pen with it but haven't had much chance to use the ink yet (and the paper I use for testing inks is so bad an absorbent that it often does weird things to ink colors -- making Storm Warning look grayish green).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ohh this is my kind of olive green. I like the gradual shading too. Thank you for sharing this ink with us!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Hello, as a member of the Central Ohio Pen Club I can say that yes, it does appear similer to the ink Straits Ink made for us, Storm Warming, but it does not appear identical. They also have introduced an ink simialer to the other ink Straits Ink made for us, Park of Roses.

We talked about this at one of our meetings and many of us take this as a compliment.

Now in regard to color difference of Slowpoke Green and Storm Warning. Slowpoke Green appears to be similar to the color of dark olive while Storm Warning is simialer to dark olive drab. Storm Warning has a bit of shading on purpose. To some eyes and in some line widths on some paper they do appear to be the same, but I suspect their formulas are slightly different.

We are planning on coming up with more colors, with our January meeting likely being dedicated to this.

Shading is a feature valued by some members and likely will be a characteristic of the new ink(s) as it is in the inks we came up with before. Also, they likely will be colors which are readable, another characteristic which was evaluated. This is after all ink we are talking about, not paint.

And so, do I suspect Straits might put into production something simialer to what we come up with, yup and that is fine with me. They have been very helpful and cooperative in this endeavor and it would be hard to begrudge them from noticing a good color when they make it and they decided to tweek it to their liking and produce it.

Now, that is a very nice green. I'll have to look into it. It seems sort of the color we were expecting Edelstein Olivine to be from the pre-release photos.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 3 weeks later...

Now in regard to color difference of Slowpoke Green and Storm Warning. Slowpoke Green appears to be similar to the color of dark olive while Storm Warning is simialer to dark olive drab. Storm Warning has a bit of shading on purpose. To some eyes and in some line widths on some paper they do appear to be the same, but I suspect their formulas are slightly different.

The shading was quite accidental, actually; I didn't plan for it when I mixed the color. But I'm glad it happened, and I did keep it in mind when we did our mixing this past Sunday. Park of Roses has some nice shading too -- it seems to be a feature of Straits inks.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested