Suggestions On Blue Ink For My Lamy 2000 Ef Custom

plstanners

Hi folks

So I've been struggling to find a blue ink for my Lamy 2000 EF with my custom Mark Bacas nib.

I'd prefer a bulletproof or water resistant ink, but the inks I've tried so far (Noolders Elysium blue, Kon-Peki, Prime of the Commons) either bleed through my Leuchtturm, or take ages to dry.

I've got the Pilot nano sou boku ink, but am a bit hesitant to use due to the potential additional cleaning I may have to do due to the pigment.

Any thoughts, wisdom, or opinions welcome!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plstanners

• penzel_washinkton

• sombrueil

• Intensity

Agree with penzel. Show through, bleed through, and Leuchtturm are three words that go together. I am stubbornly finishing my last Leuchtturm journal, and then never again. Not as bad as Moleskin but pretty irritating.

The bleedthrough also jumped at me, you could get a small Rhodia pad for not that much and try again; inks can look and behave radically different depending on the nib, I get three variations of Kon Peki and Aonibi refused to work with a medium Carène, but works fine on a Lamy Vista and a Pelikan m600. A little patience can go a long way, don't try to force the nib. You could also get ink samples, but I would solve the paper issue first.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Take a look at MB Permanent Blue. It's permanent, won't bleed or feather and shades beautifully. Just make sure you flush your pen every other fill.

I love using Pilot Blue Black in my Lamy 2000 EF. It is a great ink. Not expensive, and has good water resistance.

Take a look at Sandy1's review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/193348-pilot-blue-black/

This is the best one to start with. Resistant but easy to clean.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Sailor nano-pigment Sou-Boku is reportedly better behaved than Sei-Boku.

Other suggestions: Sailor Jentle Blue-Black, Lamy Blue Black.

Wet inks spread more and create thicker lines. I assume you got EF for thin lines. Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo, for example, is a pretty wet ink and gives wider lines in Lamy 2000 EF. Sou-Boku is fairly dry, as is Lamy Blue-Black.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions so far.

I have the Sou-Boku - tried it with the converter in a kaweco brass EF. Love the nib/pen but the ink just got 'stuck' inside the converter! Diamine oxblood in there now.

I may give the Lamy 2000 a go with the sou-boku. I guess the only way to check clogging and cleaning is to give it a go and possibly invest in an ultrasonic cleaner.

On Leuchtturm.. i am a bit disappointed as has been mentioned above. they seem to be hit and miss.

I have an A5 Leather Leuchtturm - plain - and it performs great. I use a Salior pro gear with Noodlers HOD and there is zero bleed. Tried it on a lined Leuchtturm and there it is - bleed through.

I'll have a look in the meantime at R+K and pilot blue/black.

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions so far.

I have the Sou-Boku - tried it with the converter in a kaweco brass EF. Love the nib/pen but the ink just got 'stuck' inside the converter! Diamine oxblood in there now.

I may give the Lamy 2000 a go with the sou-boku. I guess the only way to check clogging and cleaning is to give it a go and possibly invest in an ultrasonic cleaner.

On Leuchtturm.. i am a bit disappointed as has been mentioned above. they seem to be hit and miss.

I have an A5 Leather Leuchtturm - plain - and it performs great. I use a Salior pro gear with Noodlers HOD and there is zero bleed. Tried it on a lined Leuchtturm and there it is - bleed through.

I'll have a look in the meantime at R+K and pilot blue/black.

Others have given excellent recommendations regarding the ink.

I personally would still go for the Rhodia Pads (lined / dotpad) to replace the Leuchtturm.

I use iron galls exclusively in my L2K. Either Diamine Registrars or, if I want something wetter, KWZ IG Blue (2,3 or 5).

The L2K is one of those pens that is very easy to clean thoroughly, so it lends itself well to inks that allegedly demand higher maintenance. With modern IG inks, however, I have not found that they require any special treatment. The pen has (very ocassionally) sat unused for up to a fortnight with no ill effects.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Just a note, I don't recommend the Webbies either. I experienced it first hand, they are prone to feathering.

That's why I recommend the Pads instead.

Pick a color that you like and don't worry about "bullet-proof-ness".

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Truthfully, I do not care for Rhodia or Leuchterm because of their inconsistencies and bleed through.

I much prefer Tomoe River - either 65gsm or 52gsm.

I also agree with welch - find a color that you like and don't worry about "bulletproof". If you use a notebook, close it after using, and use reasonable care, you should be o.k. with any ink.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

It's not as commonly available in USA but still obtainable: loose leaf notebook paper from Japan. It's generally really good for fountain pens, and I've switched to it after my visit to Japan earlier this year. Kokyuo Campus loose leaf, Maruman loose leaf, etc. My favorite at the moment is Nakabayashi Logical Swing "A" loose leaf paper (example: https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/tokiwacamera/item/4902205563600/), but that one is not imported much and needs to be purchased via rakuten. While I love Tomoe River, it's generally too thin and warps and bends easily. Those other types of paper are still very fountain pen friendly, but not as thin and don't have as much show-through. Nakabayashi is opaque enough, despite being quite thin, that I can write on both sides. The only paper I use now is Fabriano Bioprima and Japanese paper; also stopped using Rhodia, Clairefontaine, etc.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

If you can locate a bottle, Organics Studio Accident Blue is a wonder ink. It's the best I've ever used for writing on cheap, absorbent paper. Fully waterproof. Shading monster. Nice "true blue" color. It's a relatively dry writer, good for wet-writing pens. It is a pigment-based ink, so it does require a little care to not let it dry out in the pen.