Pastel Lady's Fountain Pen

repairperson

Hello All: I have a lucky curve Pastel Lady's fountain pen and I am having a devil of a time getting the pressure bar into the barrel. If someone could give me help. I have done many before but never with the lucky curve still intact. Scewing the section in and trying to get the bar into the barrel is not easy. I keep pushing the bottom of the sec into itself and thne have to unscrew the section again to pull the sac out again. what can one use to hold the sac out of the way whilse pushing the bar into the barrel. The hole at the end of the barrel is quite small. Any help will be appreciated.

Repairperson

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• repairperson

• pen lady

• peterg

Do you have a flat-head slender precision screwdriver? Try angling that in the hole beneath the pressure bar to compress the sac as you're going along. Put plenty of talc on the pressure bar and the screwdriver too. Marshall and Oldfield also note (in red) that it's important to insert the bar in line with the nib, otherwise it may foul the feed. Best of luck, such a pretty pen, what colour?

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have a flat-head slender precision screwdriver? Try angling that in the hole beneath the pressure bar to compress the sac as you're going along. Put plenty of talc on the pressure bar and the screwdriver too. Marshall and Oldfield also note (in red) that it's important to insert the bar in line with the nib, otherwise it may foul the feed. Best of luck, such a pretty pen, what colour?

Hello from BC

Thank you for that information. Yes, I do have a slender screwdriver and I have finally got the bar into the barrel without punching in the bottom of the sac. I have inserted the bar but when I pushed in the brass bottom in went the bar. I have a bar long enough to touch the side of the bottom of the curved section but it must keep going past the end. I have taken it apart many times. Yes, I know also about how it should go in line with the nib but getting it there is another thing. The pen is Magenta. It came with a working pencil. Any more tips about getting this thing together would be splendid.

Repairperson

June's Antique Deskstuff

Edited by repairperson

Sometimes there's not very much ''travel'' when you depress the button, have you tried pressing it to see if the pen fills anyway? If you're used to restoring Vacumatics, this little baby is totally different. I've just looked at my own Naples Blue set and the button only moves maybe 1/10th of an inch. Other than that, is it the original pressure bar and is it long enough? Hope that helps.

Sometimes there's not very much ''travel'' when you depress the button, have you tried pressing it to see if the pen fills anyway? If you're used to restoring Vacumatics, this little baby is totally different. I've just looked at my own Naples Blue set and the button only moves maybe 1/10th of an inch. Other than that, is it the original pressure bar and is it long enough? Hope that helps.

Mine doesn't work at all. There is no play at all. The button lies flat against the barrel end. When I took out the button the bar is entirely in the barrel and I have to use plyers to get it out. Is the pressure bar too short. Just because it came in the pen doesn't mean it was the correct length does it. I have fixed many button fillers, none with a curve and never with this much trouble. I have also not had to cut a pressure bar to length.

Repairperson

Repairperson .

Then I think you need a new pressure bar. I hope someone with more experience than the pair of us chimes in with advice about where to obtain one. Fingers crossed.

Mine doesn't work at all. There is no play at all. The button lies flat against the barrel end. When I took out the button the bar is entirely in the barrel and I have to use plyers to get it out. Is the pressure bar too short. Just because it came in the pen doesn't mean it was the correct length does it. I have fixed many button fillers, none with a curve and never with this much trouble. I have also not had to cut a pressure bar to length.

Repairperson

Repairperson .

I think you have answered your own question. The pressure bar must stick far enough out of the barrel for the installed button to compress the bar. On my chatelaine I would say up to 4 mm above the threads. I think the pressure bar needs to be 62 - 64 mm overall in length (easier to trim than add length!).

Hello Peterg: I have a 67mm which should work however it is a smidgen too wide to go into the barrel. 4 mm above the threads I am not sure what that means. Are you talking about the thread where the sac is screwed into the barrel?

I think you have answered your own question. The pressure bar must stick far enough out of the barrel for the installed button to compress the bar. On my chatelaine I would say up to 4 mm above the threads. I think the pressure bar needs to be 62 - 64 mm overall in length (easier to trim than add length!).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone: I need help in deciding the length of the pressure bar I require. Could someone tell me how much of the bar needs to extend out the bottom to make the button work. Should I just take a bit off at a time to make sure it works or is there a proper length I should I be looking at.

Repairperson

June's antique Deskstuff

Hello All: Success! I have finally managed to get the pressure bar into the pen with a lot of trouble. I now can see why the repair people cut off the curve it makes life so much easier. I wanted to leave it on and to get the pressure bar in. I have now accomplished that and the pen is working well. As a bonus it has a wonderful smooth medium nib. Love it. Thanks for all advice.

Repairperson

June's antique Deskstuff