Gf Piston Filler Inspired By A Mixture Of Vintage Mb Features

fountainbel

Thank you all for your encouraging comments !

@ Micheal R. : thanks for your excellent suggestion, below 2 pictures showing the nonagon shape better.

Regards,

FrancisIMG_1709.jpegIMG_1708.jpeg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• FredRydr

• SpecTP

• siamackz

Maybe is just on photo, but it seems to me this faceting feels somehow better the darker the body and then, I'm with @Michael R. that the thinner silver band on the blind cap fits slightly better (and makes kind of a symmetry with the clip band).

Then, lapis is gorgeus but I think the blue-grey is not far behind, and I might even prefer it a bit more.

Also, I think one of the greatest things is to attest there are different solutions for different tastes. The "less preferable" of these pens is still wonderful and it's just sugar on top of cake that some of us prefer this one a bit over that one when others have slightly different tastes.

Finally, it is your taste not only for the aesthetics but for the technical/ergonomy side, kindof Plato: it's not (only) a matter of making them looking gorgeus but the fact that if you design a proper writing tool it has no other option but to look good (function is beauty).

I daydream winning a lotto so I might ask you for a fountain pen... looking at threads like this one it seems the path would be no less awesome than the result.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe is just on photo, but it seems to me this faceting feels somehow better the darker the body and then, I'm with @Michael R. that the thinner silver band on the blind cap fits slightly better (and makes kind of a symmetry with the clip band).

Then, lapis is gorgeus but I think the blue-grey is not far behind, and I might even prefer it a bit more.

Also, I think one of the greatest things is to attest there are different solutions for different tastes. The "less preferable" of these pens is still wonderful and it's just sugar on top of cake that some of us prefer this one a bit over that one when others have slightly different tastes.

Finally, it is your taste not only for the aesthetics but for the technical/ergonomy side, kindof Plato: it's not (only) a matter of making them looking gorgeus but the fact that if you design a proper writing tool it has no other option but to look good (function is beauty).

I daydream winning a lotto so I might ask you for a fountain pen... looking at threads like this one it seems the path would be no less awesome than the result.

Thanks for your friendly comment jmnav, much appreciated !

Kind regards,

Francis

PS : just started finishing a nonagon demonstrator, so keep tuned !

And here is a picture of the Nonagon GF " Nostalgia" piston filler.

Although the cap still misses its silver cap ring and cap top logo..

Kind regards,

Francis

edited-image_31.jpg

Very pretty, I don't want to imagine how long that took to polish.

When it feels like I've seen everything, I read this entire thread smiling ever more with the passing pages in evolution of the nonagon GF Nostalgia. :wub:

Simply a pleasurable treat appreciating master craft married with inventive engineering still stirs that emotional pang of quiet vintage beauty.

Your delightful GF Nostalgia is a unique refreshing bouquet distinct from the clinically sterile Conid bulkfiller design publicly available.

And just when we anticipate the concept of 'done', more refinement and honing toward the penultimate sweet spot is brought forth in a delicious array of precious material and subtle design :drool:

Talk about never resting on laurels, such is the mark of mastery/champion! :happyberet:

Each humble iteration is enough to serve as its own masterpiece namesake.

Thank you @fountainbel for generously giving us a glimpse of your art from pen heaven. :notworthy1:

Wow! Beautiful as always! Its always a treat to see your work, a much needed refresh from the same old same old that we see on the market nowadays. I hope that these will be available one day

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Below a few pictures of a new GF Nonagon piston filler version.
​Pens are in yellow cast acrylic, Tibaldi Rosso Verdi and Tibaldi Impero celluloid.
Cap, cap top, barrel and filling knob on this version are all conical nonagon shaped, hence the pen looks more like a Montblanc 139.
While my normal “nonagon" version can be posted, it becomes 190mm long - nib tip to cap top - being rather long when posted.
The filling knob top of the "GF-139" style nonagon version posts deep in the cap, being in the diameter transfer between the section stop collar and the nib housing ( see “posted" demonstrator picture )
Benefit being the posted length is reduced to 170 mm, while no radial tensions on the cap entry and the cap threads are created during posting, hence no risks for cap lip cracks.
This posted length remains 10mm longer compared to a MB139.
However the section of my all nonagon is 20 mm long - ensuring a comfortable grip - while the MB139 section is only 14mm long.
The demonstrator version is machined starting from solid yellow “cast” acrylic, so no risks for any tension cracks
The piston filler is my own design and fabrication - nothing revolutionary - but sturdy and compact, aiming for maximum ink intake- 3ml- at minimum build-in length.
Best regards,
Francis
PS : As from now I will not post anymore on my pen designs on the Montblanc forum, I feel not comfortable anymore in doing so......
IMG_1862.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit
IMG_1874.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Beautiful Francis. That yellow really works well for these vintage style applications. Probably because some vintage celluloid in perfect condition is a similar color. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Awesome pens Francis!

In use today: MB LeGrand Pettit Prince and Aviator, Pelikan M100N, Conid First Production Run demonstrator.