Gf Piston Filler Inspired By A Mixture Of Vintage Mb Features

fountainbel

Somehow the demonstrator works the best for me with this new design!

Also I really, really like the yellow demonstrator flattop. :-)

Cheers

Michael

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• FredRydr

• SpecTP

• siamackz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I’ve already presented a few prototypes of this pen earlier, the pen now gots a name, being the' “Nostalgia”,referring to the typical design of the pens of the twenty and thirties of the past century.
But more importantly I wanted to show a further design evolution.
Given my favorite MB telescopic fillers become difficult to find I went to the drawing board and designed a rigid and compact piston
filler, aiming for a maximum stroke at minimal length.
Unfortunaly one can’t beat the compactness of my Bulkfiller on a piston filler, and I can’t use the Bulkfiller since Conid has the exclusivity...
However he GF piston Filler can take 3,2 ml of ink using a piston stroke of 34 mm, being equal to the MB139.
Since I’ve used nearly the complete stroke of the MB telescopic filler, the same Nostalgia pen with the MB telescope can take 3,5ml
Note the vintage MB 139 and 149 pens take respectively 3.2 and 2.7ml
Ensuring optimum grip and writing comfort I’ve elongated the concave section to 19mm , being 5.5mm longer as the MB139 &149 pens
Capped length of the pens is identical to a modern MB149, being 147mm
Below a picture showing the comparison between the Nostalgia with the home made filler, the MB telescopic filler and a modern MB149
Note the Nostalgia design was initailly suggested by an American friend and, finalized with our mutual input
I will now test the new filler intensively for a long period, ensuring it works flawlessly.
As always your comments, suggestions and critique are most welcome !
Francis
edited-image_13.jpg
edited-image_11.jpg

Looks great Francis. I'm interested in the new design. Let me know of you need a tester!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Amazing! Love the cross knurling at the bottom of the last pic, reminiscent of the oldest versions of the Rouge et Noir. Well done! Fantastic design! This is what modern pens should look like!

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

This is a little bit unfair, every time I convince my self that it is probably too expensive and difficult to get into vintage Montblanc, Francis posts something beautiful. I will now go spend hours looking at 136/139s I probably can't justify so soon after getting a new pen.

In case it isn't clear, the pen looks amazing and the filling system is very impressive.

Nostalgia is awesome, I love the design. To my taste, the Tibadi Impero celluloid is a perfect match to the design. I relly like the first clip better. Merveilleux travail, c'est comme écouter une sonate de Bach...

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Francis- the Nostalgia looks awesome. Do you have any plans to manufacture and make it available to pen enthusiasts like us on FPN?

Hi fountain pen friends !
One has to keep busy In these disturbing Corona times, much time to spend in my shop...
So I’ve looked for another challenge and found one !
I’ve just finished a hard rubber prototype of a 12 sided faceted “ GF Nostalgia” pen.
This pen will remain in my personal collection
Attached a few pictures.
Making a faceted pen proved to much more labor intensive compared to a cylindrical pen.
Starting from a round part the facets be milled individually using a special tooling set-upl.
The tool I’ve made works reasonably but for perfect result I’ll need to make a perfect tool which will take a week to make
Getting the facets clean after milling is very time consuming since one needs to keep the sharp corners between the facets
Each facet has to be sanded and polishing manually avoiding to break the sharp edges .
Only sanding and polishing the cap & body took me 8 hours……
So I really don’t look forward to make more faceted pens...
Note the concave section is elongated , having now a comfortable concave grip length of 20 mm.
The piston filler installed is my own design one I’ve recently shown on the Nostalgia demonstrator
The cap top and filling knob are cross cut knurled square to the centerline of the pen
The silver cap logo is now made convex, perfectly overflowing in the radius of the cap top.
I’ve made 2 versions of the filling knob, one flat top, and one convex top, which one would you like the most?
Looking forward reading your comments, suggestions & critique !
Kind regards,
Francis

edited-image_23.jpg[/urledited-image_22.jpgIMG_1660.jpegedited-image_16.jpg

...I’ve made 2 versions of the filling knob, one flat top, and one convex top, which one would you like the most?...

I prefer the knob matching the cap, both convex. If the top was flat, then the knob should be flat. IMHO

Very nice! If I was ordering the pen from you, I would forgo the knurling and the black insert in the clip.

Hi Francis, GF Masterpiece !

Re-thinking and re-developing the fountain pen remains an endless challenge, you succeeded !

The ultimate realisation of your personal taste over time, brands, models and shapes... wonderful !

I also prefere a round knob if round captop and the famous triple cap rings...

Maybe also once try a FLAT captop, in combination with the facetted shape that would be pure "seduction" !

I look forward to see and hold her !

Very nice! If I was ordering the pen from you, I would forgo the knurling and the black insert in the clip.

Thanks for your comments Fred, but what specifically mean with the above sentence ?

The clip insert serves as a pinching point ensuring a firm grip on the shirt /jacket pocket

Thanks,

Francis

Looks really good, Francis. I like the knurled bottom (it's practical), but I don't think it needs the paired symmetry at the top. I like the convex top more so than a flat top. Also, since it's faceted (and won't roll), maybe make one without a clip altogether.

Thanks for your comments Fred, but what specifically mean with the above sentence ?

The clip insert serves as a pinching point ensuring a firm grip on the shirt /jacket pocket

Thanks,

Francis

The knurling gives the pen an industrial look, like a hand tool rather than a smooth finish I expect on an expensive pen. As to the clip, I prefer a clip without added ornament. Both the knurling and the insert have practical function, but my eye tells me they clutter your smart design.

Edited by FredRydr

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fountain pen friends !

Given the actual Covid 19 pandemic and our age my wife and myself are since 2 weeks in quarantaine.
This gives me much time to spend in my shop, and after making the 12 sides facetted GF Nostalgia, I thought making a 9 sided version were also the filling knob and the cap top are facetted - and equipped with an ink window! - would look nice.
On a 9 sided facetted pen the facets are logically wider and I expected this would look better.
Making a faceted pen surely taks 60% more time compared to a cylindrical pen , each facet has to be carefully sanded and polished separately ,so the sharper ribs remains perfectly sharp
Attached a few pictures of the prototype pen, made in hard rubber .
The pen is equipped with my home made piston filler which takes 3.2ml of ink.
The length of the pen is close to the length of a modern MB149
The concave section is 20mm long, ensuring a comfortable grip.
Next project is making this pen in Arco Green celluloid…..
Which version has your preference : 12 oir 9 facets??
As always your comments and critique are most welcome !
Keep you safe and healthy!
Kind regards,
Francis
IMG_1689.jpeg
IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_1691.jpeg

9 Facets, I like the idea of the larger chunky facets showing off different aspects of the Arco pattern.

I really like the design of this pen, especially the flat top. My one problem with the 149 is I don't love cigar shaped pens.

Francis, I always learn from your postings, and see things i haven’t before. These are beautiful pens.

Thank you for sharing.