Parker Cloning Itself

Mech-for-i

I bought a few of the Chinese imitation 51s out of curiosity. The Wing Sung Vac 51 imitation works better than the original so far. After a period of original curiosity I lost interest in all of them. As a baby boomer I tend to stick with the many original 51s I have kept. Different nibs to use, many colors and a few dead Vac 51s due to spent sacs. The original 51s are interesting because of their history and the different configurations over the years of production. It is interesting that a new version is planned in a configuration similar to other pens of this time. The talk and trashtalk between aficionados of each type should be interesting, if predictable.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• Freddy

• inkstainedruth

• tamiya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good catch K3eax! I know nothing about planes but was curious about your comment so looked a Yak up. Sure'nuf:

image1-6.jpg

The airplane seen in the backround seems to be a Soviet WWII-era Yak and not a U.S P51 Mustang.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

The airplane seen in the backround seems to be a Soviet WWII-era Yak and not a U.S P51 Mustang.

Not quite....'Tis a North American P-51B variant...Ain't no freakin' Yakolev 3.

Fred..

moseyin' across the burma bridge.....quickly

I ain't no planespotting warbird geek but...

fpn_1574860467__p51-2019.jpg

Yaks with Merlin-style exhausts usually have pointy sharp wing tips? More of the radial cowled Yaks have more rounded tips.

P51Ds often look like pregnant guppies but some earlier variants do look more svelte with faired in fuselage behind the cockpit bubble.

NA-73X-NX19998-.jpg

In all, probably just an artists impression based on romantic history of a Spitfire... :)

Edited by tamiya

definitely a depiction of an early model P-51 on the illustration , the Yak had a distinctive curved and forward swapping trailing edge on its vertical stabilizer and P51 of all type had a straight trailing edge on theirs , easy to spot the difference. That general body profile though applied to almost all that era's water cooled engine fighters in some form

I ain't no planespotting warbird geek............................... ................ .............................................

.......................................................................................................................................................

Got that right....Pal..you ain't...I ain't no expert..however..That plane is a North American P-51B variant.

P-51B Mustang "PARKER 51" 43-6824 G4-F 362nd FS, 357th FG, 8AF USAAF

Fred

Voodoo Chile..............Jimi.....Hendrix at the Filmore East in '70 did this one for us...Machine Gun.........

26933707_1.jpg?v=8D47215554138E051-mustang-field-service-bulltins-ww2_1_parker51.jpgModel produced by Mr. Len Provisorhttp://www.americanairmuseum.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/media/media-5631.jpeg?itok=jMXEpBnePilot: Capt. Maurice Baker

Crew: SSgt Bob Hall Armorer Ernest Huckleberry SSgt Rouse

Edited by Freddy

I suppose I should dig out the photos I took of the P51 Mustang on display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. Of course, the blurry one (taken by my husband) is the one of me standing in front of the display holding up the Parker 51 Plum Demi Aerometric.... B) His brother (who used to be an engineer for Boeing, and is in the process of designing and building a custom small plane for someone -- as well as trying to design and build a small plane for himself) had me take photos of the wheel assemblies for him.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I suppose I should dig out the photos I took of the P51 Mustang on display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. Of course, the blurry one (taken by my husband) is the one of me standing in front of the display holding up the Parker 51 Plum Demi Aerometric.... B) His brother (who used to be an engineer for Boeing, and is in the process of designing and building a custom small plane for someone -- as well as trying to design and build a small plane for himself) had me take photos of the wheel assemblies for him.

Plum sounds juicy. Still have it? I am considering another Wing Sung 601....:)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Anything new about the new version 2019 of the Parker 51 ?

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

I just bought a P51 Areo for $25 today when I was in Janesville shopping for a heat gun. After buying the heat gun I drove to a little shop downtown Janesville and found a P45 for $10. Seen a poster for an antique show at the fairgrounds and picked up the P51.

I don't need any reproductions...

My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing that the new model will cost significantly more than a nice, fully working 70 year old Aerometric.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing that the new model will cost significantly more than a nice, fully working 70 year old Aerometric.

You're right. Good chance it'll be "Parker priced" not "WingSung priced" :(

Which Parker though :) I'd be interested at price of a Jotter, but not Sonnet.

Plum sounds juicy. Still have it?

Are you kidding? That's the pen they'll have to pry out of my cold dead fingers! :P I was using it just yesterday, in fact.

Even if I someday manage to get a full size Plum, I'm keeping the Demi.

​ETA: I agree with mariom. One of my first pens was a Parker Urban. Just for curiosity's sake, I did a quick check of prices, and an Urban Premium seems to retail for a little over $85 US. So I doubt that a reboot 51 (even if a Chinese made pen) is going to be a less expensive pen than that.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Are you kidding? That's the pen they'll have to pry out of my cold dead fingers! :P I was using it just yesterday, in fact.

Even if I someday manage to get a full size Plum, I'm keeping the Demi.

​ETA: I agree with mariom. One of my first pens was a Parker Urban. Just for curiosity's sake, I did a quick check of prices, and an Urban Premium seems to retail for a little over $85 US. So I doubt that a reboot 51 (even if a Chinese made pen) is going to be a less expensive pen than that.

Dear Ruth, as an aside, I just love your posts. :happyberet:

So, as a Johnny-Come-Lately, the Wing Sung 2019 version 601 is a better idea for me to experience the "51" concept. I find the hooded nib to look better than it's performance since I cannot always line it up on first try. Once I pay attention and look, I can get the nib square. This is because I am using it for all things during the work day which I have a wide range of paper and writing surfaces, or not.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Thanks for the compliment, Etsycollector.

I don't have an issue with pens like the Wing Sung 601 per se (at least as they're clearly marked as being another brand, not being sold as an outright fake). But I wonder how pens like that will hold up over the long haul. Especially after using one of my 51s to sign some paperwork at the bank this morning. It was the the 1949 Plum Demi Aerometric. Which means that the pen is more than a decade older than I am. Will that Wing Sung hold up as well after 70+ years of use? I doubt it.... For one thing, what is is made of? The real 51s are Lucite.

I did a quick Google search just now and found a 2018 version of the Wing Sung. It was an attractive enough pen -- as long as someone doesn't mind a Vac-filler style pen mash-up with what looks like a Triumph nib from a Sheaffer Snorkel.... (otherwise, it just looks -- well -- weird...).

I do understand that some people don't go for hooded nibs, though....

Todays consumer product are amazingly long lasting , its simply result of decades of manufacturing know how and material science ; this not just with pens but all sort of things ; my 1960's 616 still sit in my pen tray and working as it should be , and so do my Parker UK Duofold of same vintage , and yet my much newer Cartier 1980's ( don't know the model name but its the oblong oval / sqaure profiled one ) and my late1990's Parafernalia all suffer parts aging that made them now collectables only. It might surprise some but so many of todays mere economy priced consumer product are inherently better build, better design, and better overall as far as longevity goes vs the premium priced top end products .. so cast aside the doubt, and let's just dwell into the pens , they are mean to be used , mean to write ; and just go enjoy that instead of worrying if they write down the road 60 years later ( and if anything, maintained , I had high hope that most of todays fountain pen can last that long and longer still , Chinese or any other origin / brand )

Edited by Mech-for-i

Additionally......Gobble-de-gook......

Not my spellin'....Pal.....

Fred

January 15,2020 21:09

That plane is a North American P-51B variant.

P-51B Mustang "PARKER 51" 43-6824 G4-F 362nd FS, 357th FG, 8AF USAAF

Fred

26933707_1.jpg?v=8D47215554138E051-mustang-field-service-bulltins-ww2_1_parker51.jpgModel produced by Mr. Len Provisorhttp://www.americanairmuseum.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/media/media-5631.jpeg?itok=jMXEpBnePilot: Capt. Maurice Baker

Crew: SSgt Bob Hall Armorer Ernest Huckleberry SSgt Rouse

• 1 month later...

Not quite....'Tis a North American P-51B variant...Ain't no freakin' Yakolev 3.

Fred..

moseyin' across the burma bridge.....quickly

Jeez.

How could it be a Yak - 3?

And this reminds me of a comic from a thread many years ago...

(SOURCE OF THE SCAN: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/118277-pen-cartoons-from-the-40s-50s-parkergrams/)

scan0039-2.jpg

EDITS: Fixin' up gramma', as always...

Edited by AL01