Parker Cloning Itself

Mech-for-i

This is certainly the most shocking / awe inspiring news from the Chinese Fountain Pen market that came surfaced recently .... well ... take a look yourself

fpn_1574860467__p51-2019.jpg

fpn_1574860514__p51-2019-dimension.jpg

fpn_1574860561__p51-2019-finishes.jpg

Parker China had the pages taken down already but the leak is out .... first photo show text say " new generation Parker 51 " , 2nd photo show comparing to original P51 , the last photo shown steel cap with steel nibs and gold plated ( look like VPD ) cap with 18K nib ; not much info, but look like a Chinese market only model and is rumored to be made not by Parker themselves but a long time local partner ( guess we know who ). No pricing yet and no info regarding as if its real or marketing testing the water ( Parker did once or twice try something like that in Chinese market ).

Edited by Mech-for-i

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• Freddy

• inkstainedruth

• tamiya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker 51's were classic pens - true icons in the world of pen collecting.

Perhaps the originals are not readily available in China. If that is the case, I can understand why collectors in that country might be hopeful and even excited, although it remains to be seen if the new pens offer anything nearly as good as the originals.

Here in the US, if you go to any pen show you will see 51's for sale at reasonable prices by the dozens if not hundreds. I suspect the same is true in Europe. When I checked Ebay for "Parker 51 pen" a few moments ago, it showed 1284 listings. I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in a new copy when the originals, which are true classics, are so readily available.

Almost precisely a year ago I opened my Wing Sung 601 review with a joke that Parker is likely the only Chinese pen manufacturer nowadays which does not make any Parker 51 copies.

Well, here it comes, apparently.

About time Parker got back to 51, or at least something 51-ish.

Here in the US, if you go to any pen show you will see 51's for sale at reasonable prices by the dozens if not hundreds. I suspect the same is true in Europe. When I checked Ebay for "Parker 51 pen" a few moments ago, it showed 1284 listings. I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in a new copy when the originals, which are true classics, are so readily available.

Remaking old, classic models is not uncommon, and I'd say it's not a bad way to go in this business.

Pelikan is a very good example here - practically all their flagship lines, from M200 to M1000 are remakes and variations of their designs from 1950s (mostly just one design).

A year or two ago they released a remake of Pelikan 120 - a school pen from 1950's. The originals are rather easy to find and often way cheaper than the modern remake. But the remake still finds buyers and it gets pretty good reviews from what I've seen.

There's no reason why Parker shouldn't do the same thing.

Edited by WJM

I suspect if its true, its just going to be a C/C pen , and that hood profile look more like a Jinhao 51a than a Parker 51 ... and if the Chinese market want a good old 51 mechanism ; they can had it all along in the Hero 100

Remaking old, classic models is not uncommon, and I'd say it's not a bad way to go in this business.

Pelikan is a very good example here - practically all their flagship lines, from M200 to M1000 are remakes and variations of their designs from 1950s (mostly just one design).

It is not clear to me from the original post whether the new pen is made by Parker, made by a partner with permission from Parker, or is simply a copy

It is not clear to me from the original post whether the new pen is made by Parker, made by a partner with permission from Parker, or is simply a copy

Possibly it's going to be made by some Chinese factory on Parker's license?

Similiarly like an Indian company "Luxor" makes Parker Frontier, now long discontinued by the "actual" Parker.

Edited by WJM

Like Mech-for-i, I suspect that these are going to be c/c pens. Which means, as far as I'm concerned, not a *real* 51. And even less so than the (possibly fake) Hero 616 I have (someone in my local pen club bought a 10 pack a few years ago and were handing them out to anyone interested in one; it's a squeeze filler, and not a bad writer for being a pen that's worth a buck at most, even with a scratchy nib. But a 51 it isn't (more like a knockoff of a 21).

If they're labeled as 51s, I'd be a little suspicious of them being fakes.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Honestly, I have most of the 51 colors I want already, and those are real 51s. I could see myself getting a Mustard 51 Vac if it was an incredibly good price, but that's about it.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looks more like a 21 to me!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Coincidently, I asked them about the possibility of a new production run of Parker 51s on Monday:

I’d love to see Parker make a run production run of the Parker 51. I have a restored Parker 21 and it may be my favorite fountain pen. Parker 51s are very popular on the used market and I’m sure the resurgence of fountain pen enthusiasts in the U.S. would justify at least a re-release of such a perfect fountain pen.

I received this email from them today:

Dear JORDAN,

Thank you for contacting us and your interest in our products.

Please be advised that we are planning to introduce a new line of Parker 51 pens in the second half of 2020. However, we do not know the exact date yet.

The pens will be available for purchase from our retailers, for example:

ColoradoPen: https://www.coloradopen.com/

MontgomeryPens: http://www.montgomerypens.com/

JetPens: https://www.jetpens.com/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/

I really hope this proves helpful and please do not hesitate to contact us with any further inquiries you might have in the future.

If I can be of further assistance, please reply to this email directly.

Thank you,

Joanna

Writing Instruments Consumer Service

Reach us on:

800-237-8736, Monday to Friday: 8AM 5PM (EST)

Edited by JordanN

So, a French made Parker 51 that resembles both the 21 and the Waterman C/F a bit?

Great find/catch @Mech-for-i :thumbup:

The lone fountain pen fanatic at Rubbermaid headquarters was going uh ... :huh:

Hmm ...Ariel Kullock Parker Fantasy, Jinhao 51a, Wing Sung 601, the original vintage 51...

I guess there's a demand for these things!

Let's join the party :bunny01:

If c/c I would love it if they keep the old standard like using the current Parker converter

or better yet improve upon the design somehow, 61 capillary fill :o

2020 is going to be a fun year for pens. :D

The success of the Wing Sung 618, then 601, and of course Jinhao 51a , and the surge of interest on all the new & old hooded nib models ( Kaco Retro,Wing Sung, Natami, even the age old availability of Hero's many models ) must have drive the Parker product marketing to question the obvious " why are we not making one, after al we pioneer this "

Edited by Mech-for-i

Is it just me, or are the grooves below the "clutch ring" screw threads for the cap? A slip cap complements a workhorse pen like a 51 better in my opinion.

It looks to me a slip cap pen like the Parker 45 with threads added below where there is a step up ring on the 45. The clip reminds me of the Insignia.

I agree that it does look a bit like the 21, so maybe a combination of the designs of the 21, 45, 51 Insignia and Duofold.

Edited by Parker51

I think that looks like threads for a screw cap and the step between the barrel and the clutch ring further that ; the hood opening seems a bit too wide to me , would it be something like the Aurora Duocart / 98

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 1 month later...

I just bought a P51 Areo for $25 today when I was in Janesville shopping for a heat gun. After buying the heat gun I drove to a little shop downtown Janesville and found a P45 for $10. Seen a poster for an antique show at the fairgrounds and picked up the P51.

I don't need any reproductions...