L.a. Pen Show -- February 2020

melissa59

Yes concentrate on the fun and try not to worry about making a complete ass of myself. Good plan. (seriously)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnnaZed

• FarmBoy

• Greenie

• terim

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost didnt go to the LA show for all the criticism it gets here. Ive been two times now and think its lovely. I guess I dont mind paying 55$ for a show pass; I enjoy the less crowded days. Its less hectic and I make better decisions.

The old location had meter parking which was totally reasonable. Dont know about the new location. Hotel parking is always a ripoff. Thats life! Im going to stay overnight this time and combine it with visiting some art galleries.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Sounds kind of outrageous to charge the amount of a decent dodger stadium ticket for a pen show imo.

Depends on what you prefer! 😂

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Agreed! We are going this year to scope out the new setting and see if it's something we want to do in 2021.

Change of plans! We will not be attending the show this year, but we do plan on selling in 2021. Unless the feedback about the show and venue is discouraging .....

Change of plans! We will not be attending the show this year, but we do plan on selling in 2021. Unless the feedback about the show and venue is discouraging .....

Bummer to hear. Was looking forward to seeing you at the show.

Bummer to hear. Was looking forward to seeing you at the show.

Me too! You will be missed Teri......

Looking forward to a great few days at the Show!!! :thumbup:

I am going for one day, actually just part of one day - tomorrow. Given that the tables are first come etc. you will likely find me sitting on the floor with my collection of Japanese Pocket Pens and a wary smile. I am a diminutive grey haired person of eccentric style, always wearing a grey smock over my clothes.

I see on Instagram that one of the pen stalls has had an entire tray of Mont Blanc pens stolen!!!

I am going for one day, actually just part of one day - tomorrow. Given that the tables are first come etc. you will likely find me sitting on the floor with my collection of Japanese Pocket Pens and a wary smile. I am a diminutive grey haired person of eccentric style, always wearing a grey smock over my clothes.

Crikey! I'm headed there now. Maybe I should be glad that my pens are relatively obscure!

I see on Instagram that one of the pen stalls has had an entire tray of Mont Blanc pens stolen!!!

Yup. It was Sarj Minhas' tray of Montblancs. They took the whole tray and ran. I hope they catch the thief.

It is awful. I know the occasional pen or two gets swiped at shows but a whole tray is pretty crazy. What's next? Thieves swiping a whole 48 pen binder right off a vendor's table?

I was there today with my Pocket Pens. I met Stan!! He's the most debonair man.

I'm amazed that a thief got away with stealing anything given that there were so few humans of any stripe in that room. As predicted a roomful of afficiados looking askance at each other's goods.

I sold 1 pen.

I am curios about Security at the LA show?

Do they have uniformed Security?

Do they require the wearing of a Landyard with an identifying placard with your name on it matching your advanced registration for weekend participants/ exhibitors?

Are there a number of Security personell patrolling the pen show, is there only one way to enter and leave the show and is there a full time Security staff person on duty at it?

Does security check to make certain that every person entering the show has paid admission/ identifying placard?

I ask as that is what I have experienced at the Ohio Pen Show.

Awful about Sarj's pens! He is such a kind and friendly person. Of course, it is terrible for anyone to be robbed under any circumstances. I hope the thief is caught and pens returned to this very nice gentleman.

I am curious about Security at the LA show?

1. Do they have uniformed Security?

2. Do they require the wearing of a Lanyard with an identifying placard with your name on it matching your advanced registration for weekend participants/ exhibitors?

3. Are there a number of Security personnel patrolling the pen show,

4. is there only one way to enter and leave the show and is there a full time Security staff person on duty at it?

5. Does security check to make certain that every person entering the show has paid admission/ identifying placard?

6. I ask as that is what I have experienced at the Ohio Pen Show.

1. Yes, but not much in evidence; this is during the hours after the crime when I arrived.

2. They issued me one as a Trader. A curious feature of this lanyard being that, probably purchased in some spasm of cheapness, the single band of ribbon caused the placard to flip over (showing its back) almost regardless of what one did to place it correctly. (seriously, what in the ....)

3. Not that I saw, not any.

4, Yes, one entrance, un-manned. There is a registration desk, but yards from the door. My husband wandered in and out all day bringing me coffees without a badge.

5. See #4, in other words no.

Additionally the hotel itself seemed curiously indifferent bordering on hostile. The WiFi required a room number (and those folks paid extra AND it didn't work for them most of the day). Also, everyone's phone had next to no bars.

Also, everyone's phone had next to no bars.

I'm with T-Mobile. I had near full bars throughout the entire space.

Parking.

Park in the Del Amo Mall parking structure or lot across the street. It is free. And you get about 1/8 of a mile exercise getting here.

Sunday only:

Today is the day. This is as mentioned a historical accident and should be corrected. There may be additional costs in opening the doors on Saturday that the organizer does not wish to have.

Lighting:

Poor in most areas. Look at pens closely. You DO NOT need a flashlight.

Space:

Bigger room. Wider aisles. Maybe more tables, which is a big plus.

Who is there?

There were a number of new sellers on Friday and Saturday. Whether they have tables today is unknown. A number of manufacturers representatives are here. Monteverde, Luxury Brands, for the first time. Taccia. will have lots of Japanese stationary today. Others. Some new small firms with interesting pens. Several sellers mentioned sales are lower than last year and last year was a mess. Could be some good buying opportunities as most sellers want to go home with less pens.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club