Edison Glenmont In Modified Japanese Autumn Acrylic

Nyoko

There are already many reviews of the Edison Glenmont pen on FPN, but after receiving and using this particular Glenmont, made from the special Jonathon Brooks’ “Modified Japanese Autumn” acrylic resin that was used in the 2019 San Francisco Pen Show LE Edison Menlo Pen, I felt I needed to make a short review about this beautiful pen and also about the fantastic customer service that Brian Gray and the Edison Pen Company provides.

This pen was a custom order from Edison that I made after seeing pictures of the San Francisco Pen Show Edison LE Menlo model. Brian had announced that he had a very limited quantity of the “Modified Japanese Autumn” material left, and so I immediately ordered a Glenmont made with it. Since I couldn't make it to the pen show, the next best thing was to order a custom made pen in that special resin, and I was very lucky to get this pen.

Since the Glenmont has been around a long while and is very well reviewed, I mainly just want to comment on the pen material and the nib.

fpn_1574301397__edisonglenmont4.jpg

fpn_1574301455__edisonglenmont5.jpg

Pen Material

Jonathon Brooks’ “Modified Japanese Autumn” acrylic resin is a deep dark reddish-brown material with sinuous patterns of shimmering gold dust particles that form textural patterns, evocative of wood grain. Viewed in good light, hints of green also reveal themselves. Looking deeply into this material you have the sense of gazing into a galaxy of stars or a distant nebula. The glowing quality is increased by the translucence of the resin, so that light is both reflected and transmitted through it. All in all, this material is very beautiful and interesting, and it’s always a temptation to pick up the pen, just for the pleasure of looking at it!

fpn_1574301614__edisonglenmont9.jpg

Nib & Writing

The Edison 14K EF Flex nib is a classic looking single tone 14k nib, adapted (by means of cut-outs on either side) to offer moderate flex with light pressure. It gives a nice wet extra-fine line without pressure being applied, and allows for very expressive line variation when desired. The nib is pleasantly soft and flexes easily (for a modern nib), yet it writes very smoothly and produces a refined extra-fine line without any pressure. This nib is comparable to the Pilot FA nib. The section is comfortable to hold, though some might find it a little small.

fpn_1574301539__edisonglenmont7.jpg

fpn_1574301578__edisonglenmont8.jpg

Cost & Value

I paid slightly more than the standard pricing for a custom Edison pen, due to the cost of the special material. I believe this pricing is comparable to other custom pen makers out there. However, I consider it well worth the money for the exceptional service I received from Brian Gray and his team. Not to mention the quick turnaround time of approximately 1 month. The most impressive part of the overall experience, however, was the extraordinary customer service I received due to the pen having a very minor problem with the finial on the cap. When I asked him about this, Brian immediately asked me to send it back so that they could remedy the problem. Though he must be a very busy man, he took the time to explain, in multiple emails, exactly what he thought was wrong and what they were doing to repair it. Needless to say, I received the cap back in perfect condition.

Final Thoughts

Edison Pen Co. produces beautifully designed pens of exceptional quality and craftsmanship and they stand behind everything they make. Considering the considerate and helpful service I received from Brian and his team, Edison Pen is easily my first choice for custom made pens. Besides their great customer service, I really appreciate their design ethic; Edison pens have a classic look and a harmonious balance of form and function. I would highly recommend an Edison custom pen to anyone. Finally, though, the beauty of the resin created by Jonathon Brooks is what makes this particular pen very special to me.

Edited by Nyoko

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nyoko

• Honeybadgers

• peroride

• Miskatonic

Top Posters In This Topic

That color reminds me of the hubble photo of the pillars of life.

Really gorgeous.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Wow what a beauty! Edison/Brooks combos are stunners. :P

I recall hearing that those SF Pen Show special pens sold within an hour. To see that Brooks material in the Edison Glenmont flat top form with that beautiful nib is a treat.

Another bonus is I read that Brian had nib training with Richard Binder.

Enjoy your special pen!

That is a beauty! The coloring does remind me of deep space a bit. I'm hopping to order something from them after we get through the fun and expenses of the holidays. I dropped by their table at the Ohio Pen Show and enjoyed seeing their pens in person. Sadly for me, I was told they discontinued the Huron line, which was my favorite shape. I like the Glenmont, so I may go with that form.

That color reminds me of the hubble photo of the pillars of life.

Really gorgeous.

Those "pillars" photos are incredible! The "Japanese Autumn" material does sort of evoke that beauty - though not quite so spectacular! Thanks for the comment.

Wow what a beauty! Edison/Brooks combos are stunners. :P

I recall hearing that those SF Pen Show special pens sold within an hour. To see that Brooks material in the Edison Glenmont flat top form with that beautiful nib is a treat.

Another bonus is I read that Brian had nib training with Richard Binder.

Enjoy your special pen!

Thank you! It is a really enjoyable pen to look at, hold, and use. I'm not surprised to learn that Brian trained with Richard Binder; the nib on this pen is really fantastic to write with. In fact, the nibs on all the Edison pens I own are good.

That is a beauty! The coloring does remind me of deep space a bit. I'm hopping to order something from them after we get through the fun and expenses of the holidays. I dropped by their table at the Ohio Pen Show and enjoyed seeing their pens in person. Sadly for me, I was told they discontinued the Huron line, which was my favorite shape. I like the Glenmont, so I may go with that form.

Thanks! I actually wanted to order this pen in the Huron design and learned Edison was no longer making that. But I think I like the Glenmont just as much. It is a very attractive vintage style design, nothing extraneous. It is well balanced and feels good in the hand. If I had one tiny reservation, it would be that the section itself is a little too narrow. After using it, I wish it did not have the hour glass concave shape, but was just straight. Since this was a custom order, I'm sure they could have made it that way, but I didn't think of it. But otherwise the Glenmont is an idea shape for me.