Seeking Brown Inks With Strong Violet Or Purple Sheen

A Smug Dill

I'm after a new personal 'signature' ink to match the colour of my new ring, which is brown with strong violet sheen. Can anyone kindly suggest something that fits? The photo doesn't quite capture just how prominent the violet colour is in the light, but should give an idea of how it looks all the same.

fpn_1574253716__hammered_titanium_ring.j

Unfortunately, it seems far easier to find purple inks with golden brown sheen than the other way around. I'll worry about whether the brown inks suggested is more red or more yellow/golden later. I've skimmed through the Inky Thoughts brown ink swatches thread, as well as pages of Kobe INK Story swatches on retailers' web sites, but didn't find any ink in whichever flavour of brown that sheens purple or violet.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• DrDebG

• Intensity

• Carrau

I don’t know of any inks with the sheen you describe, but J. S. Bach from DeAtrementis sits between purple and brown as its base color. It shifts character based on lighting and paper, but is always in the “huh. Is that purple or is that brown?” territory. It would go very well with your ring and is nicely behaved on top of that.

Yet another Sarah.

... J. S. Bach from DeAtrementis sits between purple and brown_...snip... is nicely behaved on top of that.

Thank you for the suggestion. Has your impression of the behaviourial characteristics of the ink changed in the past few months?

DeAtrementis Bach_...snip... My bottle of Bach also doesn't play well with most paper. It bleeds through nearly everything, which is disappointing since I love the color.

the colours of your ring make me think of Diamine purple rain

Yeah, that or Diamine Iridescink Philip, both of which would be a reversal of the colour characteristics. That said, they are nice inks, and not expensive per millilitre to buy, so I might end up settling for using one of those.

cannot think of a brown ink with purple sheen though

Me neither!

Maybe this can give you some ideas:

https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/sailor-ink-studio-set20

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I was actually looking at that yesterday, as well as the "contact sheet" views of all the brown inks and all the sheeny inks reviewed. Nothing seem to quite fit, though.

I wonder why the purple/violet sheen seems so common for blue inks, but almost never for a brown ink (as opposed to a golden-yellow ink) that could still be dark enough to hide certain component colours in its base colour?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have never seen a brown ink with purple sheen in any ink samples to date. To me, based on those photographs, your ring looks equal parts brown and purple, so perhaps you could just use a purple ink with coppery sheen.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thank you for the suggestion. Has your impression of the behaviourial characteristics of the ink changed in the past few months?

It has, actually. At the time I wrote that my go-to paper was Apica Premium with occasional uses of Leuchtturm and then whatever copy paper. It doesn't do well at all on those, so much so that I stopped using it. But I was missing it so I inked it up again to try after having become disenchanted with the color fidelity on Apica Premium (it feels fantastic, but seems to dull everything slightly). I have completely given up Leuchtturm as a fountain pen friendly paper; it's better than Moleskin but that's not actually a compliment.

Bach behaves beautifully on Tomoe River, Koyuyo Campus (both plain and the Mio), and respectable (28lb laser jet) copy paper. It is a bit picky about the paper that it likes, but it is not the prima donna I originally thought. And I have never had any issues with staining, nib crud/creep, or hard starts.

Yet another Sarah.

To me, based on those photographs, your ring looks equal parts brown and purple, so perhaps you could just use a purple ink with coppery sheen.

It's made of titanium by a craftsmen based near Sydney, Australia that I've come across on Etsy, but since (unexpectedly) met in person at a local monthly crafts market. He showed a variety of possible colours in his item listing for the ring without giving them names, or assigning specific selectable options, so I asked him to make it "the colour of tree bark" (as that is related semantically to my name) with violet sheen (my wife's "representative" colour) in the light, to signify how she enhances my being.

Perhaps you could contact the ink maker at Sailor and see if he would develop a custom ink for you. I believe that is how the Ink Studio collection was created. I have seen videos of this - forgive I don't know the ink maker/blender's name and can't give you any other information except that it is Sailor that does it.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

It's made of titanium by a craftsmen based near Sydney, Australia that I've come across on Etsy, but since (unexpectedly) met in person at a local monthly crafts market. He showed a variety of possible colours in his item listing for the ring without giving them names, or assigning specific selectable options, so I asked him to make it "the colour of tree bark" (as that is related semantically to my name) with violet sheen (my wife's "representative" colour) in the light, to signify how she enhances my being.

Oh that sounds lovely! I love the idea behind your ring.

Perhaps you could contact the ink maker at Sailor and see if he would develop a custom ink for you.

Thank you for the suggestion! Trying to arrange a visit to such an event on our postponed honeymoon would be very tricky, though.

I have seen videos of this - forgive I don't know the ink maker/blender's name.

I believe you were referring to Mr Osamu Ishimaru. :)

Edited by A Smug Dill

Thank you for the suggestion! Trying to arrange a visit to such an event on our postponed honeymoon would be very tricky, though.

I believe you were referring to Mr Osamu Ishimaru. :)

YES! Thank you for find the video! You are amazing!

I wonder if he could do it just from the photo of your ring? Just a thought.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have Maruzen Sepia - its a dark reddish brown with no discernible sheen in writing. Too red for this ring.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 1 month later...

I have never seen a brown ink with purple sheen in any ink samples to date. To me, based on those photographs, your ring looks equal parts brown and purple, so perhaps you could just use a purple ink with coppery sheen.

I was thinking something similar. I don't know how hard it is to get De Atramentis inks in Australia, but they have some shimmering inks (the Pearlescent line) that have copper or bronze colored dust in them (as well as the more usual gold and silver).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you for the suggestions! There are some local retailers that stock (or range) DeAtramentis inks, including Dymocks (probably the most recognised national bricks-and-mortar bookstore chain here today) and LarryPOST. I'm still waiting for a bottle of the previously suggested DeAtramentis Bach ink on order from LCDC. In the meantime, I'll probably just use Diamine Iridescink Philip for now, but also test Colorverse Dark Energy (already delivered but as yet unopened) when I get around to it after Christmas.

I'm also noticing that the colour of my wedding ring is changing somewhat with "normal" wear and tear — quite a bit of the brown colour seems to have faded away — so a close match today might not be as close next year. We'll see!

Merry Christmas everyone, and thanks again!

Edited by A Smug Dill

Colorverse Dark Energy is fantastic but not what you're looking for. It's a kind of muted brown-maroon with yellow-green color sheen. Still it's one of my favorite inks, so you can't go wrong with it in general.

I was thinking something similar. I don't know how hard it is to get De Atramentis inks in Australia, but they have some shimmering inks (the Pearlescent line) that have copper or bronze colored dust in them (as well as the more usual gold and silver).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I received the De Atramentis Brilliant Violet with Copper as a gift last year. There is a great deal of sparkly dust in it.