New Penbbs Model?

drathbun

Read Beini's Instagram post today / yesterday.

PenBBS i actually working on a 14K gold nibs for their pens. The first test batch is actually for hooded nibs type of pen, which I don't understand why they would make a test batch for a type of pen they don't sell at their Etsy shop.

If the gold nib pens go for under $100, then I'm sold.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• drathbun

• Honeybadgers

• Mech-for-i

Read Beini's Instagram post today / yesterday.

PenBBS i actually working on a 14K gold nibs for their pens. The first test batch is actually for hooded nibs type of pen, which I don't understand why they would make a test batch for a type of pen they don't sell at their Etsy shop.

If the gold nib pens go for under $100, then I'm sold.

Interesting. Unfortunately, I don't find that any of their steel nibs write well so hopefully their gold nice write better. To be honest, I'd prefer they improve their standard nibs.

Interesting. Unfortunately, I don't find that any of their steel nibs write well so hopefully their gold nice write better. To be honest, I'd prefer they improve their standard nibs.

Definitely agreed although I have to be specific that where they need to improve are for their Fine and Extra Fine nibs.

The Medium nib seems worry free from people's experience.

Definitely agreed although I have to be specific that where they need to improve are for their Fine and Extra Fine nibs.

The Medium nib seems worry free from people's experience.

I personally find the fine 'mini fude' better performers on the average than the RM. I really dislike the RM - I haven't enjoyed a single one of my 3 penBBS pens that came with it - all replaced with jowos. Couple of the F nibs on the other hand are reasonably good.

But on the whole, their nibs, and yes, also their flimsy and often miserly feeds, and crack prone housing (basically the whole business end), needs attention. The bodies themselves are superb.

IMHO the misery feed and the nib is basically a by-product of how its tuned to writing the home language, the prone to crack housing IMHO is a mis-take on the fact that the housing is basically not fit for the German no.6 ( the wing and flare proportion ) , that stated the housing could use a better material for sure

I personally find the fine 'mini fude' better performers on the average than the RM. I really dislike the RM - I haven't enjoyed a single one of my 3 penBBS pens that came with it - all replaced with jowos. Couple of the F nibs on the other hand are reasonably good.

But on the whole, their nibs, and yes, also their flimsy and often miserly feeds, and crack prone housing (basically the whole business end), needs attention. The bodies themselves are superb.

I still found skipping on even their Fine mini-fude nib. May I ask why you dislike their RM nibs? I'm pointing out why they need to improve their EF and F nibs due to performance issues and not just by preference of usage.

IMHO the misery feed and the nib is basically a by-product of how its tuned to writing the home language, the prone to crack housing IMHO is a mis-take on the fact that the housing is basically not fit for the German no.6 ( the wing and flare proportion ) , that stated the housing could use a better material for sure

I haven't had any issues related to nib housing crack and I have a lot of PenBBS that I often switch out for a Jowo / Bock nib so I must say I currently can't relate to this. I do find that Bock nibs actually fits better than a Jowo nib in a PenBBS housing, now I'm interested in a Schmidt nib / Knox nib.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

I find that the RMs don't write consistently well from all angles, which is IMO basically the point of an RM nib, and tend to write quite dry. I tend to rotate my pens quite a lot as I write, and of all round nibs, I find these among the most inconsistent from different angles. I prefer jinhao and moonman #6 to these.

I've had cracks on 3 of my penBBS housings so far, and I find that the fins on the feed get easily bent out of shape. I haven't had the housing crack on me on any other pen brand, so it can't just be me doing something wrong.

Mostly the housing cracks in my case are not due to nib change. Most of my jowo nibs are accompanied with a jowo converter housing from flexible nib factory (whose ebonite feeds tend to work better for me). This could be the case for one of the housings though, where I was using a moonman nib. But I think sometimes the housing cracks due to pressure while rotating...as they sometimes tend to get too tight.

I find that the RMs don't write consistently well from all angles, which is IMO basically the point of an RM nib, and tend to write quite dry. I tend to rotate my pens quite a lot as I write, and of all round nibs, I find these among the most inconsistent from different angles. I prefer jinhao and moonman #6 to these.

I've had cracks on 3 of my penBBS housings so far, and I find that the fins on the feed get easily bent out of shape. I haven't had the housing crack on me on any other pen brand, so it can't just be me doing something wrong.

Agreed with this fully. The round medium nibs I have tried had bad writing angle issues. I really haven't found a reliable penbbs nib tbh, which is a shame because their bodies are nice.

Interesting, didn't know that the medium nibs needs further improvements either.

On another note, the updated 355 is still not compatible with a Jowo nib if anyone is curious.

I learned it the hard way and stupidly bent mine.

Enlightening info you guys had ; might be its just how I tune the pen and how I wrihte .. So while the PenBBS housing had not the best of a right proportion I manage to get both Jowo and Bock working in them with no issue - I tend not to change nib instead I buy the PenBBS parts pack and put the German nib into new housing using the stock PenBBS feed coming with the parts pack ; for installing I use thick paste Silicone Grease on the housing thread as well as the housing exteriro that mate and sit in contact with the inner surface of the section making sure I do screw it in tight but not overtightened.

My writing is pretty straight forward nothing like Calligraphy but penmanship applied and I generally do not rotate my pen when writing ; I wager that's why I seldom find issue with the nibs ( not only PenBBS )

Even among the Bock and Jowo sometime I found a certain nib just too loose and other time too hard to fit into the housing . A lot of trial and error some times

Just saw the 487 on Beini's IG.

In all honesty the design looks meh to me and I guess the magnetic filling system will be similar to that of the 492.