New Penbbs Model?

drathbun

I don't think Penbbs works as most of the western companies.

Quality pens at competitive prices has won them a fairly large market share. Taking the competitive price out of the equation would mean they'd be stuck struggling with other makers which enjoy a broader network of dealers and/or notoriety.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• drathbun

• Honeybadgers

• Mech-for-i

I don't think Penbbs works as most of the western companies.

Quality pens at competitive prices has won them a fairly large market share. Taking the competitive price out of the equation would mean they'd be stuck struggling with other makers which enjoy a broader network of dealers and/or notoriety.

Even if they cost double, they'd still be well below the competition.

I wouldn't buy as many as I do, but they'd still be a damn good value. They're just in the sweet spot for impulse purchases.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You guys are aware that my last post was an effort at a joke no?

Anyway, Beini posted another IG post showing indeed the mechanism similar to the TWSBI GO.

Now, something came to me with this retractable mechanism. When the back end of the rod is collapsed into the body do you think it is screwed in?

Because if it does, then screwing it out without a tool would be quite a challenge I think.

I have a feeling they have a way around it but it's the guessing that's fun right?

Saw this pen on AliExpress under a different name-Fenwu or something similar. And it looked like it has the colored and lovely acrylics instead of the "you gotta be kiddin me" plastic on the real GO. This could just be a fluke or they may have imitators of the improved "imitation" already. I'm sure everyone is shocked.

it look like to be 268 / 494 analogy ; just a different filling mechanism , am expecting it to be priced similar to the 268 unless they got to do it in the patterned or solid colour acrylics. Judging from the photo it look like the lock down push lever had a thumb turning screw lock nut so the pen will not need a separate blind cap, and this is balanced on the ca end with a metal flat top finale, just my 2 cents. Anyway if its all transparent Demo again I am not really interested

So Beini's IG video calls it a PenBBS 500 model. Interesting. My speculation is that once you have pumped up the ink, you turn the rod and push it back in without pushing the spring back down like a bayonet and then screw the top of the rod into the body. You can see screw threads in the top of the rod in the video, and at the end of the video you see the rod retracted and the piston is still at the top.

Edited by drathbun

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

So Beini's IG video calls it a PenBBS 500 model. Interesting. My speculation is that once you have pumped up the ink, you turn the rod and push it back in without pushing the spring back down like a bayonet and then screw the top of the rod into the body. You can see screw threads in the top of the rod in the video, and at the end of the video you see the rod retracted and the piston is still at the top.

If that is the case then unscrewing the collapsible end of the rod from it's collapsed state will be quite interesting since the back part is rounded and almost flush with the barrel once screwed in.

Currently which are the best pennbbs models under 20$ for nib quality and overall reliability and usability ?

PenBBS 308 and 480 in my opinion. Base models are $13.99 and $17.99 plus shipping.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

PenBBS 308 and 480 in my opinion. Base models are $13.99 and $17.99 plus shipping.

Second this. The shape and the lack of clip in the 323 are not some people's cup of tea.

Currently which are the best pennbbs models under 20$ for nib quality and overall reliability and usability ?

All of them use the same nibs. There is a nonzero chance you will get a dud nib. I tend to buy them assuming I'm just going to swap in a $12 JoWo nib. If they write well out of the box, cool. If not, new nib.

They're 90% the quality of pens costing five to ten times as much. another $12 for a good new nib is worth it (just be aware that the 355 can only take bock and jinhao replacement nibs because it has a slightly shorter inner cap. All the others don't have this issue.)

I sell custom nib units with customized nibs and feeds, ready to screw into any penbbs model for $25.

That said, they're all good, apart from the 309. Avoid the 309, its piston system has a habit of sticking and unscrewing itself instead of moving the piston. Every single other model is great. I personally love the 380 spiral facets aluminum pen, the 355, the 456, and the comfort of the 323 (the 323 is the cheapest)

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

An important aspect to me is ergonomics and grip section.

Further I like light and compact pens.

:)

All of them use the same nibs. There is a nonzero chance you will get a dud nib. I tend to buy them assuming I'm just going to swap in a $12 JoWo nib. If they write well out of the box, cool. If not, new nib.

They're 90% the quality of pens costing five to ten times as much. another $12 for a good new nib is worth it (just be aware that the 355 can only take bock and jinhao replacement nibs because it has a slightly shorter inner cap. All the others don't have this issue.)

I sell custom nib units with customized nibs and feeds, ready to screw into any penbbs model for $25.

That said, they're all good, apart from the 309. Avoid the 309, its piston system has a habit of sticking and unscrewing itself instead of moving the piston. Every single other model is great. I personally love the 380 spiral facets aluminum pen, the 355, the 456, and the comfort of the 323 (the 323 is the cheapest)

If reliability is a concern, I'd actually steer clear of PenBBS for now. In the price range you're looking, there are two different categories: The injection moulded pens (494, 322, and 268 piston filler) and C/C pens (the 267, 308, 323, 350, 352, and 480). Actually, there's also the pocket-pen eyedropper 471, which is fine.

I haven't tried a 494, and the 322 is fine, but boring. It's just a Pilot 78G clone with a better nib than most clones. The 268 would be an excellent pen, but I can't keep the sections from cracking spontaneously.

The C/C pens used to be great for reliability, but Long switched out the converters being used about half a year ago. The new converters are terrible. I've had them leak out the back and fall apart in my hand just flushing them. (And they must be flushed, because they come with inordinate amounts of oil in them.) Sourcing replacements can be problematic.

If you plan on eye-dropper filling or you can source a reliable Hero Widemouth size converter (I haven't found a source that has consistent stock), then the 323 might be right up your alley. Most people love the ergonomics (though I find it too short for my hand, which ends up putting pressure on the section) and it's quite light. As I stated, the 471 pocket pen is likewise decent, but it does have a tendency to cross-thread.

If reliability is a concern, I'd actually steer clear of PenBBS for now.

Beside the issue of cracking on the 268 (which I found to be a really underappreciated pen other than the issue), I don't see why all the models shall be questioned for it's reliability now.

I've used the new converters without the agitators in the 480 and 323 and had no problems with it so far.

I don't think it is as bad as it is made to be.

• 2 weeks later...

if its so easy to screw on and off as video shown I fear it might not be that travel friendly at all , but if its not quite as shown then its simply a case of not user friendly, seems a no win situation here

Edited by Mech-for-i

I kinda think it would be better with a blind cap, but still it'll be cheap, so why not.

I wouldn't have mind if the unscrewing from it's collapsed configuration is aided by a tool (like the tool used to unscrew the plunger mechanism in WS 601), gives it more sense of security. Still, definitely going to pull a trigger on this one.