New Penbbs Model?

drathbun

Does anyone know about this seemingly new PenBBS model that Beini just posted on her Instagram?

bRUd5iR.png

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• drathbun

• Honeybadgers

• Mech-for-i

The PenBBS Instagram post mentions there new model will be released in December but gives no model number.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

Saw it yesterday, looks interesting but it could be quite a long pen?

And also there must be a sealing cap for that back end which would make it even longer than the picture shows.

Alas I will probably buy it once it comes out.

Maybe the design is more sophisticated, and the metal plunger (?) rod can be retracted into the black piston rod. This would work if the piston rod is hollow and there is a mechanism to engage/disengage the plunger rod, but yeah I'm aware that such a mechanism in such a small package is a hassle to manufacture.

There are additional pictures on Long's account that show that the metal plunger does indeed recede into the pen at most times. Here's the extended:

fpn_1574190971__73546658_970681329979649

Here's the contracted:

fpn_1574191019__76613105_970681303312985

There are no photos yet with the spring/pump/piston engaged.

It's been suggested (by TruthPil, for one) that this is likely the spiritual successor to the PenBBS 348 prototype, which was an auto-draw filler like the Wing Sung 601, but it took about a thousand plunger presses to fill. This appears to have no breather tube, so does look like it has more in common with the GO. But even Beini has said that she doesn't know how it works as she hasn't received any samples yet.

Edited to add: I'm feeling that metal cap finial.

Edited by JollyCynic

That retractable mechanism is very interesting.

Inner working wise it is more TWSBI GO-like rather than WS 601 since there is no breather tube and the clear visibility of huge spring coil.

The top finial on the cap looks like a crushed can though...

I have a feeling that it will only have the transparent finish for it's initial release, much like the 268.

What is Long's insta account?

PenBBS Jialong SU

- William Thackeray

looks like Twsbi Go mechanism to me

Looks like it's a combination of the GO and the conid and a lockdown vacumatic, the knob looks like a lockdown filler.

Either way, DADDY LIKE. I'm gonna order two right away. I love the spring.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I've never held a TWSBI Go but from the look of the photos, it looks like it is made of that soft translucent neoprene they make swimming goggles from. And that funky section makes it even weirder. If the PenBBS model has a retractable stainless steel rod and PenBBS's usually wonderful clear acrylic and the PenBBS section and nib for a price around the TWSBI Go ($18.99US), I'm in. It has a serious "cool" factor. The TWSBI looks like a toy to me.

- William Thackeray

Going to take a punt in guessing that this will be priced in the PenBBS309 range. Not as cheap as the standard model 308/323 but not as pricey as a standard model 355/456.Basically $20-$22 price range.

Going to take a punt in guessing that this will be priced in the PenBBS309 range. Not as cheap as the standard model 308/323 but not as pricey as a standard model 355/456.Basically $20-$22 price range.

Just in time for the lucrative gift-giving season!

- William Thackeray

Just in time for the lucrative gift-giving season!

Yes I think they are wise in selling them near the festive season.

Last year I believe the 456 is sold near the end of the year and it got a hugely positive reception. They followed the momentum with the 355 and 471.

What I think would make it better is if they release the price at the same price as the 268, since as to my previous guess that they will only release this initial model in a transparent pattern only.

I really don't care about the specific price - everything in the penbbs line would still be a stupid good deal at twice the price. I just buy them assuming I'm gonna put a custom nib on them.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I really don't care about the specific price - everything in the penbbs line would still be a stupid good deal at twice the price. I just buy them assuming I'm gonna put a custom nib on them.

Don't give them any ideas...