Can Someone Explain These Penbbs Nibs And Line Sizes?

drathbun

On 3/18/2021 at 10:11 PM, A Smug Dill said:

I thought it would have been the Pilot Elabo (https://www.pilot.co.jp/promotion/library/014/), if not Sailor's Fude de Mannen pen (because it's affordable for use as a drawing tool for artists of any level of experience and with any budget) or the upmarket 21K gold Naginata Fude de Mannen nib on Sailor pens.

By the way, it is said that the production cost of Platinum UEF is twice as higher than that of EF since in order to make the UEF, Platinum first makes EF, then grind the EF to UEF (so called "two step grinding"). In this way the pen point is physically very small so that they do not need to reduce the ink flow, yet, one can achieve the ultra narrow line. In my opinion, the Platinum UEF should be called 刀鋒. No, it does not offer any line variation. 

eebbd032.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naoki NISHIKAWA

• A Smug Dill

• Mech-for-i

• drathbun

On 11/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, drathbun said:

Can someone explain how the nibs line up with the line sizes?

PenBBSNibs.jpg

On 11/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, drathbun said:

Can someone explain how the nibs line up with the line sizes?

On 3/26/2021 at 7:57 PM, Naoki NISHIKAWA said:

Mea culpa. I could not post properly. 

So, allow me to try to post again, please.

The background on the picture of nibs is Pen BBS TEST WRITING paper.

TB2qLhmXo3iyKJjy1zeXXbxZFXa_!!64235657.jpg

26 minutes ago, Naoki NISHIKAWA said:

The background on the picture of nibs is Pen BBS TEST WRITING paper.

It doesn't say which nibs were used, and which lines were produced by which nibs.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

It doesn't say which nibs were used, and which lines were produced by which nibs.

No, it doesn't. Good point.  If you want to keep the paper for a record, you should write the information down, because you will forget which nib you used for the test writing. So, I would assume you are supposed to throw away the paper once you test a pen. 

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I am sorry. Now I have realized what you are saying. 

True.

====And that was precisely my point.==== 

The background of the photograph is a testing paper which does not correspond to nib widths of nibs shown in the picture.

The background is irreverent to such information.

The background is PenBBS test paper, which has nothing to do with nib widths of the nibs in the photo. Well, yes and no, in a sense, of course, yes, but no to what people expect. 

My command in English is so bad, I am afraid I am not articulating clearly enough what I want to say. 

The background is not supposed to show the nib width of the various nibs on the foreground. In that sense, the background paper is irreverent.  I hope I am articulating what I am trying to say...

4 hours ago, Naoki NISHIKAWA said:

My command in English is so bad, I am afraid I am not articulating clearly enough what I want to say. 

Not at all, your English is excellent, and I follow what you wrote perfectly well. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Not at all, your English is excellent, and I follow what you wrote perfectly well. :)

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 2:34 AM, A Smug Dill said:

@Mech-for-i is correct in saying that the 刀鋒 nib is what he often refers to as a petite Fude nib, although it's questionable whether there is a standard definition or common understanding of what constitutes a Fude [de Mannen] nib, including how long or short the bent tip has to be and the angle of the bend; ‘Fude’ cannot simply mean bent,

When Duncan Cameron received a British patent for the "Waverley" upturned tip (dip) pen nib in 1865 and a US patent 1867, it must have meant something special to Macniven and Cameron Ltd., later known as Waverley Cameron Ltd. But later many marketers and sellers used the term "Waverley" as a generic term for any nib with a turned-up tip. Those nibs with a turned-up tips were later being called "ball point nibs" since they were supposedly meant for a little variation in writing according to how you hold the pen, the opposite of what Fude de Mannen is designed for. So, since I am a Japanese and in Japanese language, "fude" means a brush, which suggests wider line variations, I do not call PenBBS Regular F as "fude" simply because it does not give you wider line variations, and for a Japanese, calling such nib as "fude" sounds, eh, rather strange, I would rather call Pilot FA nib as "fude", I have come to understand some people may call any single bent nib as "fude". 

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 8:33 PM, drathbun said:

I found this image on the PenBBS Etsy site and it totally confuses me. Can someone explain how the nibs line up with the line sizes?

xAfqGzk.jpg

Thank you for this. I was losing my mind going cross-eyed over here. 

The nib and the line width are not correlated , that photo is just mean to show the nib against a known chart of various line width