Pelikan Ibis Ink View Window Crack Repair Suggestions

Geegeee
Rate Topic 0

I have an otherwise nice Pelikan IBIS with a great nib, but it has a crack in the see through ink window of the barrel.

I reckon I have nothing to lose by trying to repair it... What solvent would be suggested to seal the crack? I was planning to repair it from the outside, but it might make as much sense to try from the inside and just take care not to advance the piston beyond the repair?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geegeee

• LukeSkyliner

• Addertooth

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pictures as requested.

There are two parallel hairline cracks (only the longest one is visible in the photos, it was hard to get a good picture of the other one) and another v-shaped crack with some dirt/ink in it.

I just want to stabilise the cracks no more, so any tips on what solvent to use and how to best approach the repair are gratefully received.

It needs a new piston seal as well, I was going to use an o-ring, I don't think the right seal are available any more?

post-151396-0-51304100-1573331183_thumb.jpg

post-151396-0-13686000-1573331198_thumb.jpg

post-151396-0-65950600-1573331206_thumb.jpg

I have a Pelikan 100N with a similar hairline. As it doesn't leak I haven't tried to repair it but I'm open to suggestions.

I would certainly try Cap'n Tolley's on these. My experience has been that if the crack is too small to permit the Creeping Crack Cure in, then it's too small to allow ink out.

Agree with Addertooth - if this is a tiny hairline crack, I'd recommend Captain Tolley's. Amazon has it.

I would certainly try Cap'n Tolley's on these. My experience has been that if the crack is too small to permit the Creeping Crack Cure in, then it's too small to allow ink out.

Exactly what I was going to suggest before seeing these posts. Pretty sure David Nishimura (Vintagepens), has seals for these ? If not "O" ring will do the trick, careful not to use one you have too force in.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Thanks for the suggestions, but would it be better to use a solvent to seal the cracks? That way the repair should be less obvious, seeing as no additional material will be added? I have methylene chloride, mek and acetone, but am not sure which is the most appropriate for this pen.

Will try o-rings first and if unsuccessful will try to source a replacement seal. custompenparts.co.uk appear to have one that should work? https://www.custompenparts.co.uk/11-pelikan

Edited by Geegeee

Thanks for the suggestions, but would it be better to use a solvent to seal the cracks? That way the repair should be less obvious, seeing as no additional material will be added?

CTCC seeps into and fills the crack. It is not a thick layer such as epoxy. Solvents dissolve, remove material, which is why you normally use them in a slurry containing new celluloid (or whatever) material.

X