Alstar Black Emr Stylus

bogiesan

AlStar Black EMR, electromagnetic resonance.

Looks interesting.

I absolutely do not need a stylus for my iPad but if I did, Id buy the Lamy.

https://www.lamy.com/en/digitalwriting/

https://www.facebook.com/223965857741159/posts/1507433042727761?sfns=mo

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Namo

• dennis_f

• bogiesan

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's interesting... I've been toying with getting a Wacom pad, and since I love sketching with my Al-Stars, I wonder if this might be a good fit. If the stylus has the same feel in the hand as the Al-Star, it might be worth trying.

Thanks for posting.

I wonder if this works with all iPads, or only those iPads with support for the Apple Pencil.

I had not bothered to read the fine print, assuming no savvy company would be silly enough to make a stylus that did not include support for the millions of Apple iPad Pro devices out there, but, no. the Lamy EMR does not. This new product is only useful on the Wacom tablet format.Wacom is very popular and can be used as an input device for Apple Macintosh with Adobe’s and others’ products.

https://www.lamy.com/fileadmin/redaktion/Produkte/Produktkategorien/Digital_Writing/Wacom_Component_installed_model_list_102019-new.pdf

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

A friend of mine has the latest Samsung Note and he uses his Wacom pen on it all the time. We assumed it was simply because any (non-apple) stylus would work on his phone; it makes sense then that the Lamy/wacom stylus would also work on the Note.

I had not bothered to read the fine print, assuming no savvy company would be silly enough to make a stylus that did not include support for the millions of Apple iPad Pro devices out there, but, no. the Lamy EMR does not. This new product is only useful on the Wacom tablet format.Wacom is very popular and can be used as an input device for Apple Macintosh with Adobe’s and others’ products.

https://www.lamy.com/fileadmin/redaktion/Produkte/Produktkategorien/Digital_Writing/Wacom_Component_installed_model_list_102019-new.pdf

Everyone I know who does professional graphics work (design, architecture, graphic design) uses a Wacom pad. I've never seen an iPad used professionally in these contexts, so perhaps Lamy thought they would pursue the professional market rather than the non-professional market?!?

Also, it might be that Apple wants more to license the Apple Pencil technology than Lamy is currently willing to pay.

I thought that something like that might have something to do with it... or maybe Jonathan Ive's team of designers didn't want to compete with Lamy? (kidding).

Interesting, will look into it for the Wacom.

Also, it might be that Apple wants more to license the Apple Pencil technology than Lamy is currently willing to pay.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I don’t think the tech is licensed from Apple. Most of the players in these article aren’t A listers. Not even close.

https://www.ctopreviews.com/best-pencil-for-ipad/

https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-ipad-pro-stylus/

https://beebom.com/apple-pencil-alternatives/

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ipad-stylus/

Everyone I know who does professional graphics work (design, architecture, graphic design) uses a Wacom pad. I've never seen an iPad used professionally in these contexts, so perhaps Lamy thought they would pursue the professional market rather than the non-professional market?!?

True that,Wacom owns the pro graphics interface market. Just FYI, here is an article describing some great iPad Pro apps.

I don’t think the tech is licensed from Apple. Most of the players in these article aren’t A listers. Not even close.

I quickly looked over most of these links. These pens, by and large, are generic styli that will work with just about any touchscreen out there, phone, tablet, Apple or Android.

The Apple Pencil is a much more sophisticated stylus - it offers pressure and tilt information as well as high accuracy (much like Wacom). As far as I know only the iPad product family supports it. Logitech makes a stylus incorporating the Apple Pencil technology, but the others don't. I don't know if Logitech is licensing the technology from Apple, but the Apple Pencil styli are more expensive than the generic ones.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

That's interesting... I've been toying with getting a Wacom pad, and since I love sketching with my Al-Stars, I wonder if this might be a good fit. If the stylus has the same feel in the hand as the Al-Star, it might be worth trying.

Thanks for posting.

The pen does not work with Wacom pads.

• 3 weeks later...

generally speaking the EMR will not work on Wacom's tablets because they use different technologies but those who support the EMR tech will <_< cool eh which means the EMR is a glorified bamboo pen

yes these 2 are pretty much identical personally just get a Cintiq if you want a tablet monitor

its still a given that the Bamboo sketch will not out perform a Intuos pen which is like the Apple Pencil but ehh each to their own

Edited by Algester

Doesn't work on a Bamboo tablet though.

Edited by Astron

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i use one on a remarkable tablet and I hate it. The writing experience is terrible. The nib drags rubbery and slow. The stylus that came with the tablet is way better.

Update on my former post. I contacted Lamy and had some good advice. That is change the tip of the Lamy with the tip that came with the remarkable tablet. Because the tip provided with the pen is for glass surfaces. That worked! However, on the Lamy website there is a statement that the pen works with the Remarkable. This may be legally correct but in practice you need another tip.

• 8 months later...

Update on my former post. I contacted Lamy and had some good advice. That is change the tip of the Lamy with the tip that came with the remarkable tablet. Because the tip provided with the pen is for glass surfaces. That worked! However, on the Lamy website there is a statement that the pen works with the Remarkable. This may be legally correct but in practice you need another tip.

Thanks for the info. Waiting for my remarkable2 and just ordered an Al-Star emr pen. By the way, here in Canada, the price for the emr Al-Star is just about crazy at 200$can (well, 180$can on Amazon) - I was able to have it for 35€ from Europe (about 55$can), even with DHL shippment, it's still more that twice less exprensive...

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!