Montblanc Meisterstück Calligraphy 149 Expression Nib

Croma

Rigidity Index of the new Meisterstück Calligraphy 149 Expression Nib

In September 2019 Montblanc introduced to the market a new collection of fountain pens called “Calligraphy” that have as their central core a flexible nib called “Expression”.

fpn_1572596082__1-dscn4356.jpg

In this presentation, we briefly discuss the new Meisterstück 149 equipped with an Expression nib made of 18kt yellow gold. This version is called "Montblanc Calligraphy Flexible Nib Special Edition".

The base is the famous 149 made of black resin and with yellow gold trims. The pen has a total weight of 33.1 grams with ink (22.3 grams, without cap and with ink) and a closed length of 15 cm and 13.5 cm without cap. All of its elements are the same as the standard 149 pen, including the ABS plastic feeder.

The Montblanc Calligraphy 149 has a very fine nib, EF-type nib if written without pressure, with a line width of 0.3 mm. When applying pressure, the flexibility of the tines is felt and a stroke up to 1.4 mm wide can be generated, according to the official press release.

fpn_1572596127__11-dscn4379.jpg

In our tests we have untroubledly achieved strokes of 1.2 mm width. We have also achieved almost 2 mm strokes with formation of "railroads" in many cases (this depends on the fluidity of the ink used). All this performance without excessive pressure and with a complete recovery of the nib when the effort ceases. Due to our support angle we have not experienced feeder friction on paper in our tests.

fpn_1572596193__14-dscn4360.jpg

The bending capacity of the Flexible Nib Expression is excellent and applying the methodology of characterization of the Rigidity Index (see link below), that allows us an objective assessment, we obtained the following measured data (237-217-261-271-256-253-268-245-265-289-282), with an average value obtained of 284.4. This value characterizes this nib like an IR2/FLEXIBLE. So it is a flexible nib that offers the feeling of being writing with a dip pen but with the cleanliness, softness and touch of a high-end fountain pen with the best performance.

fpn_1572596265__15-dscn4389.jpg

Only we can propose an improvement to this wonder with a traditional ebonite feeder, which would certainly improved the ink flow in major openings (this is something that can be solved at the buyer's own risk).

Thanks for reading and best regards.

Thanks to ValenSpain for special contribution in the realization of this analysis.

fpn_1572596317__16-dscn4390.jpg

References.
Press Release: “The Fusion of Art and Writing: Montblanc Meisterstück Calligraphy Collection, a Tribute to the Beauty of Handwritten Self-Expression”.
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343637-mb-149-expression-nib-calligraphy/
https://www.montblanc.com/en-shop/collection/writing-instruments/meisterstueck/119700-meisterstueck-sol-gold-leaf-flex-nib-fountain-pen.html
https://www.relojes-especiales.com/foros/estilograficas/indice-de-rigidez-metodo-sencillo-para-valorar-flexibilidad-de-plumin-368039/
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/291773-rigidity-index-a-simple-method-to-evaluate-the-flexibility-of-a-nib/
http://estilograficas.mforos.com/2126518/12874704-metodo-sencillo-para-cuantificar-la-flexibilidad-de-un-plumin-indice-de-rigidez/
http://vintagepensblog.blogspot.com.es/2015/07/measuring-nib-flexibility.html
https://fountainpendesign.wordpress.com/fountain-pen-nib/flex-nibs-experience/flex-nib-quantitative-classification/

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joane

• Croma

• Vlad Soare

• Tom Kellie

~ Croma:

Thank you for your time and care in preparing this post.

The images are exactly what I've looked forward to seeing.

Your systematic analysis is most welcome.

Happy Writing!

Tom K.

Now I'm confused.

In this post I'm reading "it is a flexible nib that offers the feeling of writing with a dip pen". In another thread, someone else said "It is not as springy as I anticipated (not as soft as a titanium Bock)".

Now, I used to have a so-called 'flexible' titanium Bock nib, and I found it utterly unuseable for calligraphy due to the enormous amount of pressure that was needed to make it flex. So, on one hand this Montblanc nib is not even as soft as a Bock, let alone softer, but on the other hand it offers the feeling of writing with a dip pen.

So how is it, really?

A dip pen will flex if you only as much as look at it crossly. You need to make a conscious effort not to flex.

Edited by Vlad Soare

Now I'm confused.

In this post I'm reading "it is a flexible nib that offers the feeling of writing with a dip pen". In another thread, someone else said "It is not as springy as I anticipated (not as soft as a titanium Bock)".

Now, I used to have a so-called 'flexible' titanium Bock nib, and I found it utterly unuseable for calligraphy due to the enormous amount of pressure that was needed to make it flex. So, on one hand this Montblanc nib is not even as soft as a Bock, let alone softer, but on the other hand it offers the feeling of writing with a dip pen.

So how is it, really?

A dip pen will flex if you only as much as look at it crossly. You need to make a conscious effort not to flex.

That comment may have been mine and yes this nib WILL flex but it requires effect to get it there. I have several vintage pens with flex/super flex nibs and this is WAY stiffer than those pens. It could be that the Bock nib feels softer as it is a wider nib, but it has more bounce than this MB nib.

Also to the question about the Calligraphy 146 nib, I believe they are different.

Thank you for a very interesting and informative review. And for the links to the flex measurement methods, I found those rather well thought out.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

My two cents. I have the gold leaf calligraphy nib... It is awesome for daily use. No super flex like an old parker or waterman I once had, but def creates a nice variation that makes average handwriting look good. If youre doing real calligraphy for invitations and stuff, I'd suggest you use something exactly to your liking, the MB nib is probably rather generic for what it is. That said, I really like it for just daily business notes.

Thank you so much for the time and effort that went into this review. This might be a possibility for a later purchase.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Hi Croma

Thank you for posting this review, I had been wondering how the nib might perform.

My father used to say, the Parker 51 changed everything in fountain pen use by which he meant that until the 51 came out people generally wrote with a nib that flexed and their writing style had many of the flourishes that go with a flex pen.

What I find intersting is that for many people flex pen writing is a lost skill, especially the fountain pen user who is not 'enthusiastic' or of course the younger person.

Must admit that I love it, if FP World is nothing else it is about choice.

A huge thank you from my side as well. I looked up your older post on the methodology and although not 100% objective, its probably as close as we will ever get. This is amazing work!

Do you have an updated list with ranking anywhere? I would be interested in seeing how this nib stacks up against the Pilot Custom 823/845 FA and the 74 (?) FA; their #10 and #15 FA nibs, basically.

This is the first MB pen Im interested in buying.

• 5 months later...

Thank you so much for this deep review and the detailed pictures.

I am looking forward to writing this pen when COVID-19 closings are over...

+1 in the "thank you" department.

One question from me:

Is there an additional cost for this particular nib?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”