• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• gweimer1

• inkstainedruth

• Honeybadgers

Looks like most of the tines on the 1314 were either broken or "clipped" off, and then potentially "smoothed". What remains has a weird rounded, angled aspect to them. A shame, one of rarest renew points, definitely not worth anywhere near the $65 asked for in that condition......

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I haven't seen a lot of 1314s . . . nor can I remember any.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

looks like it's a rare flexible stub, but has been badly clipped down and reground

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

I have (or had) a 1314 nib. It was also ground, but very usable. The 2284 doesn't appear to be bad, but the seller has the BIN way too high. This looks like someone who doesn't really know the value, so sets a really high BIN in the hopes of flushing out an offer from someone who knows what it's worth.

I'm with Larry -- "Yikes" is a good description of that price.... Especially since a few years ago I paid just over HALF that amount for a black LJ with a 9284 nib....

This is sort of like the people who were selling the house we bought. It was originally on the market for way more and had no nibbles from buyers. So they carved a parcel off (it was an L-shaped parcel originally, and the remaining land for sale was the long part of the L) and put the remaining property back on the market for 100K US less. And we got it for another 20K below the second price (and for less than we sold our old house in Massachusetts), which meant that we could afford to do some of the immediate necessary repairs (new roof, new kitchen, new wiring and an upgraded service to the house), and work on the 3rd floor bathroom).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

So, what's the seller going to do, separate them and sell each for $65.99?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

• 1 month later...

I've been able to obtain my Esterbrook nibs for good prices and many came on the pens of interest. Of course I cannot begin to understand the seller's knowledge of these nibs, the price seems to be way outside of any eBay offering.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Apparently the seller has the idea that because the nibs are "old" they must be valuable.... :headsmack: Either that, or PT Barnum was right.

I'm tempted to watch the listings just to see if there's any movement. Just as I did a few years ago for a listing of a vintage Pelikan with a OBBBBB (yes that's right -- 5 "B"s) just to see if it sold for the nosebleed price the seller was asking. And of course THAT was possibly close to what the pen with that extremely unusual nib might have been worth (just was more than I could have afforded). At one point the price dropped slightly, but I think that could have been chalked up to a fluctuation in the exchange rate between dollars and euros (the seller was in Germany, IIRC -- it didn't drop any further, and I think the price was four or five figures). The pen kept getting relisted, for the space of several months. Dunno if the seller finally got a nibble at that price, pulled the listing, or accepted someone's best offer (for a much lower price than listed -- don't recall whether BO was an option for the listing or not).

Oh, and that LJ with the 9284 nib I got a few years ago? That's the most I EVER paid for a vintage Estie -- a lot of them I paid between $5 and $15 US. The SECOND pen with a 9048 nib? That was an SJ I found for under $20 in an antiques mall I happened onto, about an hour away from where I live, while trying to find another place.

These prices, OTOH, I kinda just want to laugh and point....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I see below the listing there are "related" items available on eBay, including some unidentified Sheaffer with a "massive" gold nib. Okay, it's a Lifetime two-toned 14K Triumph nib, but clearly THAT seller is looking at the price of gold per ounce (without looking at the actual listing, I'd say that the nib is probably an F width). AND it's on a pen at least, although not sure what model without actually clicking on the link to see if it's a Snorkel or a Balance or what, so I dunno if the~$70 price tag is worth it).

Not sure what the Estie nib seller's excuse is.... Other than idiocy coupled with greed....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'll be !

After looking at that 1314 nib, it might actually be repairable by taking it apart, and reinstalling the nib and feed into the collar.

And, no, it wasn't me that bought them. My $12 offer was declined.

After looking at that 1314 nib, it might actually be repairable by taking it apart, and reinstalling the nib and feed into the collar.

And, no, it wasn't me that bought them. My $12 offer was declined.

Rich blood

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.