Desk Pen Holder For Conid Kingsize?

challer61

This would make my life a lot easier. I have asked the factory twice and never heard back. If someone knows of a specific brand that will work for me, I would be very appreciative.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• challer61

• BDarchitect

• Tasmith

• cunim

+1 for the Penwell choices by GoodMadeBetter.com

Really excellent pen holders. I have one at my desk at work and at the end of the day I pull the pen and cap out to lie flat on the desk overnight so the feed doesn't stay saturated under head pressure of the ink reservoir all the time, though I don't think that is a serious issue anyway.

I also own a traveling version that doesn't get as much use but is equally well made and versatile.

But not exactly a pen holder of the desk pen variety I was hoping for. As I understand it, one is still unscrewing and screwing the pen to the cap each time you want to use it, very much unlike a true FP desk pen holder.

You have to unscrew the cap from the pen no matter what; it shouldn't matter whether you use one hand or two. The Penwell advantage is that you can leave the cap pressed into the holder and remove the pen with just one hand.

Edited by BDarchitect

Not quite true for pen holders. I think the OP is describing a hybrid well that was common with a bunch of more vintage pens - my sheaffer snorkel desk pen doesn't need to be screwed in during the day, just set into the holder, since its "lip" extends beyond the cap threads on the pen itself (which can take a normal statesman cap as well) so you can just pull it out and use it during the day, no twisting needed, and at the end of the day, twist it to screw it down and keep the nib from drying out.

I actually think the cap of a conid would work this way with the Penwell as well, just set it back inside its cap as you use it during the day, and screw it down when you're done.

But since the conid kingsize is a screw cap, there's no way to make a "slip cap" holder short of something totally custom.

The downside of "True" desk pen holders (which lots of them were screw-down to keep them more economical and reliable - I have esterbrooks with no screw in setup and my sheaffer that is) is that they can be prone to drying out quickly. My estie desk pens dry out by the end of every month, whereas my sheaffer routinely goes six months without needing ink because I can screw it down when I won't be regularly needing it - it runs out before it dries out.

Even my "Well designed" holders for desk pens like the platinum desk pens, both my gold nib and steel nib ones, marble and plastic base, are prone to drying out.

You do really want one that can be screwed down.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)