Two Pelikan Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind Nibs & Seven Inks

Tom Kellie

Two Pelikan Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind Nibs & Seven Inks

In the first days of June, 2019 I finalized a third order of paper, inks and fountain pens from Fritz Schimpf in Tübingen, Germany.

The first two shipments were of such outstanding quality that it seemed best to brighten my writing desk with more high quality goods.

The order consisted of two pads of the superlative Fritz Schimpf A5 writing paper, as it’s become my paper of choice for most writing.

Seven more L’Artisan Pastellier Callifolio inks were ordered, including one “Mystery” ink, as I requested Fritz Schimpf to surprise me with an ink of their choice in addition to half a dozen others which I’d specified.

The smaller M205 sized Pelikan fountain pens are ideal for my sketching, note-taking and writing needs, despite my 191 cm height and fairly large hands with long fingers.

There are large fountain pens aplenty on my writing desk, therefore smaller models are both needed and welcome. Decades of using diminutive research tools have adapted my hands to using smaller precision instruments.

Accordingly, the Pelikan Classic M215 Rings model appealed to me as I liked the blue ink window, the small size and the understated design.

After learning that a BB nib was available, it was an easy decision to place the order. As with prior orders I requested a Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind, as that custom refinement results in a stellar writing tool.

There were no smaller models available with a Pelikan IB nib, although several larger Pelikans offered that size.

I’ve consciously avoided larger Pelikans, as my writing desk is amply supplied with large fountain pens. Hence the M800 and M1000 models had no special appeal for me.

However, before concluding the order, it became clear that an IB nib was available for the Pelikan Souverän M800 Special Edition Stone Garden fountain pen.

Several months before, Fritz Schimpf had supplied me with a Pelikan Souverän M400 Special Edition Tortoiseshell Brown IB with a Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind.

It was such an outstanding writer that I was eager to add another such customized Pelikan IB nib to my writing desk.

Despite considerable hesitation about the pen size, the Pelikan Souverän M800 Special Edition Stone Garden with an IB Italic Grind Nib was added to the order.

I have utmost confidence in Fritz Schimpf’s service, integrity and discretion. There have been a number of factors complicating shipments to me, all of which were handled with patience and grace.

Their sensitivity to my local situation, as well as the attention given to my writing interests, has intensified my confidence in their service and product lines.

A number of awkward realities delayed the arrival of the shipment, none of which had any connection to Fritz Schimpf. After more than four months, when the package reached my hands, I felt a mixture of relief and joy.

Everything arrived as specified, in perfect condition, thanks to the careful wrapping. A personal note was included which was particularly meaningful.

The inks and paper are exactly what I’d hoped for, with a quality which brings considerable pleasure in sketching or writing.

The M800 Stone Garden pen was larger than anticipated, but fully comfortable in my hands. The IB nib with the Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind is a dazzling writer which exceeds my expectations.

The M215 Rings BB nib Italic Grind included a wonderful surprise. The left side of the nib is engraved with “FS Italic”, which adds to its value to me. I’m stunned at how crisply the BB nib writes — lovely!

Following are images of the shipment, the goods, and handwriting samples from both Pelikan fountain pens.

There are also images and a handwriting sample from the L’Artisan Pastellier Callifolio ink listed as “Mystery” on the invoice.

Fritz Schimpf’s choice was Heure dorée. It writes very well for me from a B nib with an Italic Grind. I love the color which is wholly unlike my other inks.

As I often photograph landscapes in the “golden hour” before sunset, the name Heure dorée is especially meaningful.

It’s hoped that these images may bring pleasure to anyone interested in these pens or inks.

Tom K.

fpn_1571084147__fritz_schimpf_shipment_3

Fritz Schimpf Shipment #3

fpn_1571084219__seven_french_inks.jpg

Seven French Inks by L’Artisan Pastellier

fpn_1571084283__ink_bottle_circle.jpg

Ink Bottle Circle

fpn_1571084326__stationery.jpg

Stationery

fpn_1571084365__smaller_outer_box.jpg

Smaller Outer Box

fpn_1571084417__smaller_inner_box.jpg

Smaller Inner Box

fpn_1571084471__tied_with_a_bow.jpg

Tied With a Bow

fpn_1571084511__pelikan_classic_m215_rin

Pelikan Classic M215 Rings BB

fpn_1571084564__black_with_rings.jpg

Black With Rings

fpn_1571084608__fs_italic_bb.jpg

FS Italic BB

fpn_1571084650__fs_italic.jpg

FS Italic

fpn_1571084690__m215_rings_bb_ink_window

Pelikan M215 Rings BB Ink Window

fpn_1571084763__m215_rings_bb_note.jpg

fpn_1571084823__larger_outer_box.jpg

Larger Outer Box

fpn_1571084865__larger_inner_box.jpg

Larger Inner Box

fpn_1571084915__tied_with_a_seal.jpg

Tied With a Seal

fpn_1571085204__well-protected.jpeg

Well-Protected

fpn_1571085272__pelikan_souvern_m800_spe

Pelikan Souverän M800 Special Edition Stone Garden IB

fpn_1571085355__stone_garden_ib.jpg

Stone Garden IB

fpn_1571085414__ib_nib_italic_grind.jpg

IB Nib Italic Grind

fpn_1571085621__m800_stone_garden_note.j

fpn_1571085730__fritz_schimpfs_selection

Fritz Schimpf's Selection

fpn_1571085887__heure_dore.jpg

Heure dorée

fpn_1571086060__heure_dore_note.jpg

fpn_1571086117__two_fritz_schimpf_italic

Two Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind Pelikan Nibs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• DrDebG

• NeverTapOut

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a great post Tom!

Fantastic story, wonderful pictures and handwriting.

A pleasure to read.

I am very happy to hear that you found the M800 comfortable to use.

The M215 are also fantastic pens. I find the added weight, compared to the regular M200s, to make them just right for me.

Congrats on the new acquisitions!!

What a lovely and fantastically well documented post. I hadn't realised Fritz Schimpf could perform a custom grind - if I decide to buy one of the new Pelikans, I will certainly ask for one as I'm extremely partial to a good italic nib - so thank you for bringing that service to my attention.

Enjoy those gorgeous pens!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Tom,

I have been using fountain pens for over 10 years. I my journey I started with a 149.

I know you collect Pelikans and MBs. Which brand do you prefer and why?

I appreciate your opinion.

Also very nice haul. Fritz Schimph has been very good to you.

Respectfully,

David

Excellent post, Tom! You bring a smile to my face!

When I read your posts, I am always refreshed at your grace and logic - a rare combination.

I must say that you are convincing me that my next pen acquisition should be a Pelikan, but only if I can find the right nib. Yours look very interesting.

I believe you will enjoy L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio inks. I have most of their colors and I really enjoy them. Some of them can be a bit dry, particularly some of the browns and yellows, but the blues and greens are very nice.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have been using fountain pens for over 10 years. I my journey I started with a 149.

I know you collect Pelikans and MBs. Which brand do you prefer and why?

I appreciate your opinion.

Also very nice haul. Fritz Schimph has been very good to you.

fpn_1571214949__itzamna_note.jpg

Excellent post, Tom! You bring a smile to my face!

When I read your posts, I am always refreshed at your grace and logic - a rare combination.

I must say that you are convincing me that my next pen acquisition should be a Pelikan, but only if I can find the right nib. Yours look very interesting.

I believe you will enjoy L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio inks. I have most of their colors and I really enjoy them. Some of them can be a bit dry, particularly some of the browns and yellows, but the blues and greens are very nice.

fpn_1571215118__olivastre_note.jpg

The smaller M205 sized Pelikan fountain pens are ideal for my sketching, note-taking and writing needs, despite my 191 cm height and fairly large hands with long fingers.""" :thumbup: :thumbup:

Until recently never thought I had large hands, but found out I should have played Quarterback. :bunny01:

The 200/400 are standard sized pen (like an Esterbrook DJ or a P-75 and many other vintage pens).....and posted not small at all.

I have my marbled brown 200 from Fritz, in I was too lazy to go down town Heidelberg to my B&M.

I do like the springy regular flex 200's nibs...1/2 a width narrower and with that semi-vintage tear drop tipping....writes with a good clean line.

I am among the worlds worst spellers, and it was a real pain to find the word 'lozenges' that my 215 has.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for sharing your story. Those are great pens and I have been impressed with that brand of ink in the past based on my limited experience. Fritz-Schimpf has supplied me over 2 dozen pens and I cannot agree more on the quality of their service that you describe.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

This was a fun post. I wonder if you have tried their own special ink--I think it is Astorquiza Rot. I love it, but it would cost too much to ship a single bottle to the U.S. safely (they said).

fpn_1571215118__olivastre_note.jpg

Thank you, Tom!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Tom, thank you for sharing your order from FS. I enjoy reading your posts because your passion for beautiful ink, paper and fountain pens is very evident. Your handwriting and photography skills add so much to your posts on FPN.

I thoroughly enjoyed your post and photos. The mystery ink looks very nice.

I have a Moon app that shows both the golden hour and the blue hour. Any chance you might post a photo taken during a golden hour? I think one of those must be during those times I look outside and the color is so unique. It makes you stop and take it in.

Posted Image

Thanks so much, Tom, for this magnificent post. I have had excellent service at all times from Fritz Schimpf, not least when I ordered their Montblanc 146 Platinum Special Italic, which is a superb pen. I'm so glad they were able to get everything to you that you desired.

I am accumulating some equipment that will enable me to photograph my pens more easily, and I look forward to contributing the results here and in other threads on FPN.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Tom, it looks like you prepare for the apocalypse where there will be no pens, ink and paper. :)

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Zdenek

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Thank you, Tom. This is a lovely piece. And I hadn't known that Fritz Schimpf provides a grinding service; that's extremely good to know.

fpn_1571084763__m215_rings_bb_note.jpg

Tom,

When you reviewed the above ink and pen...are you dipping the nib or are you filling the pen?

Would you classify this as a Blue/Black?

It seems to have a vintage feel which I like.

Your slowly moving me from my EEFs and EFs to BB.

Kindest Regards,

David

Edited by NeverTapOut

This was a fun post. I wonder if you have tried their own special ink--I think it is Astorquiza Rot. I love it, but it would cost too much to ship a single bottle to the U.S. safely (they said).

https://www.fritz-schimpf.de/en/Writing-instruments/Inks/Fritz-Schimpf-fritzrot-Fuellhaltertinte.html

~ cleosmama:

Thank you!

Yes, I have three bottles of Fritzrot, which is Fritz Schimpf's own ink.

It's a terrific ink, which behaves well in both narrow and wider nibs.

Before writing with Fritzrot I'd never considered using any shade of red for work purposes.

The darker color is pleasant. Not bright or flashy, it's quietly elegant.

Tom K.

Tom, thank you for sharing your order from FS. I enjoy reading your posts because your passion for beautiful ink, paper and fountain pens is very evident. Your handwriting and photography skills add so much to your posts on FPN.

~ specialk0449:

Thank you so much!

The Fritz Schimpf Pelikan orders in 2019 have consistently been fully satisfactory.

The quality paper, inks and Pelikan fountain pens they offer are ideal for my writing desk.

Their service sets a high standard for professionalism.

Tom K.