Anyone Remove A Nib From A Wing Sung 3013 Vac Filler

John Cullen

HI
I have a few Wing Sung 3008 piston fillers and the nibs slip out nicely. I bought a few Wing Sung 3013 Vac Fillers.

The nibs on the vac fillers seem impossible to remove! I finally got out the entire nib/feed/metal sleeve and simply can not remove the nib and feed.

Finally I wrecked it so much I said to heck with it and got out pliers. I still can not get it out!

I had purchased some extra nibs that were noted as for the 3013 so I am wondering if anyone has gotten the nib/feed out of one of these?

I have taken the nibs out of a Wing Sung 699 no problem, a 698 no problem, several wing sung 3008s no problem. Just pull straight out and they come out perfectly. I have pulled nibs on pens for twenty years without major mishap. A few reviews here mention that the nibs should come out and people have swapped in Metropolitan nibs. I am puzzled.

I tried another 3013 this morning and it is wedged in there like it was cemented in.

Thanks.

Edited by John Cullen

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Cullen

• Frank66

• TSherbs

• penzel_washinkton

I have removed mine in both my 3013 pens. I remember it was somewhat difficult. Try immersing the section for 3-4 mins in hot water and then throw it immediately into cold water with numerous ice cubes for the same amount of time. Do this repeatedly for 4-5 times and then try to wedge the nib and feed out using your thumb and index finger. It should work real easy, that is how I got my nibs out.

My impression is that the 3013 pens write too dry, so I wanted to enlarge the ink groove in the feed. That worked in one of my pens but I think I overdid it with the other. But this is how you learn... Plus I think the nibs needed some serious smoothing in both of my pens, I think I ended up using on spare nib I had in one of the pens. Hope this all helps some.

Regards,

Frank66

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Frank66, thanks for the tip. I will try it tonight. I can not believe how tightly these things are in there! Maybe because it is a vac fill, though I have 699 vac fill and the nib goes in and out just fine.

Thanks,

Frank66, thanks for the tip. I will try it tonight. I can not believe how tightly these things are in there! Maybe because it is a vac fill, though I have 699 vac fill and the nib goes in and out just fine.

Thanks,

The 699 is a much better pen, the nib and feed are larger and better IMHO. Stilled I replaced the nib in my WS 699 with a EF Jowo nib shortened by 1.5mm and the results are amazing. Here is the relevant post (#78): https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/347840-wing-sung-699-victo-green-stationery-vacuum-filler-coming/page-4

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Thanks for the stick tip!

I ruined one and could not budge the other. At this point I am leaving them along.

But who knows? Perhaps down the road I will be moved to try again. I do like the feel and heft of the pen. It fits me well. So I ordered four more to simply set aside.

• 1 year later...

I tried the hot/cold water maneuver but was still unable to remove the nib and feed from several Wing Sung 3013 pens. I have about a dozen of them and recently ordered a couple PaiLi 013 pens. Removing the nib and feed from the PaiLi versions was easy. I decided to sacrifice a nib and feed from one of my Wing Sung 3013 pens using needle nose pliers, and thereafter I inserted a new feed and <M> nib. I've done this feed replacement on two of the Wing Sungs, and have concluded that the feeds used in them have a larger diameter than normal. Many of the fins on the feed were bent forward suggesting that they were bent when initially inserted by the manufacturer, and this could explain the poor ink flow. With new feeds these pens have also become much wetter. My advice is to go with the PaiLi versions having proper diameter feeds or consider replacing the Wing Sung 3013 feeds for better ink flow, cleaning or changing nibs.