Repair Shops That Specialize In Complete Vacumatic Restoration?

kealani

My wife has a vintage Parker Vacumatic that is a family heirloom.

Does anyone know of a repair shop with an online web page that "specializes" in "complete Parker Vacumatic restoration"??

I have seen Danny Fudge at The Write Pen mentioned here, and Ron at Main Street Pens .

Are there others (other than the above) in the USA that are reputable (Vacumatics), do great work.

Thanks for your help.

jim

Edited by AlohaJim

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kealani

• FarmBoy

• eckiethump

• Parker51

Martin Ferguson does very good work as well and will do all you ask.

eMail repairs at parker51.com

They do 51s and Vacs and do then well. They also have access to parts that most people don't have sitting around.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

My wife has a vintage Parker Vacumatic that is a family heirloom.

Does anyone know of a repair shop with an online web page that "specializes" in "complete Parker Vacumatic restoration"??

I have seen Danny Fudge at The Write Pen mentioned here, and Ron at Main Street Pens .

Are there others in the USA that are reputable (Vacumatics), do great work, and will test the pen before sending it back?

Thanks for your help.

jim

All the ones you mention have excellent reputation and would test with writer test before sending it back.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Another place to look (not already mentioned) would be Indy-Pen-Dance.

I will note that I have had various repairs done on various pens by pretty much everyone who has been suggested so far. But I've had Mike Kennedy of Indy-Pen-Dance do all my Vacs, after a friend's recommendation at my first pen show (one of the first "show" pens I ever bought was an Azure Blue Sub-Debutante; my friend (FPN member Uncle Red) had gotten some nib work done by Richard Binder, and Richard recommended Mike and Linda to him, and in turn the recommendation was passed along to me.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I should say though, that I've generally had work done on pens at shows, not through sending them out. I can't say what sort of turn around time any of these people have if you're mailing them the pen. The advantage of shows (if you can get to one, of course) is that the people are right there -- you sign up on a waiting list but you can also talk directly to the repairer on the spot, and explain what the issues are, and if you need something like nib work you can then try the pen and say "No, not quite right yet" or "Yes! That's PERFECT!"

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I took mine to the Dallas pen show because I wanted to see the people that'd be working on the pen first, rather than sending it out blindly. I just received the three pens that Danny Fudge worked over. He worked on those FAST, even with me assuring him that I didn't need them anytime soon. So, now I get to send him some of the elusive spondulix. I'll do some quick testing on them tomorrow, but it appears that he did that before sending (slightly blue water still in them. Not surprising, not offensive. )

Now for the Sheaffers - those will probably be expensive.

• 1 year later...

I've used two of the folks in this thread so far for restorations. One was super fast, but didn't clean the pens at all, only disassembled and installed a new diaphragm. The pen works very well, but I was surprised that the years of caked-on crud were still on the nib and under the hood (a 51). I found videos on how to clean those parts and took care of it myself, so I learned something about my pen due to this little surprise.

The other restorations were much better! The pens came back working wonderfully AND cleaned and I've since sent more work to this business and have a couple more Vacs I've just purchased that I'll be sending in soon.

I don't want to name drop on this thread, but would suggest that before choosing somebody to send your valued pens to, ask more questions than I did so you're not surprised with the results. -Carolyn

Edited by seattlec257