Parker Big Red Centennial For $224 On Amazon

katerchen

If your post is relevant beyond just adding more 600-word-essays on your already well established grievances, of course please share.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• Penryn87

• MuddyWaters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your post is relevant beyond just adding more 600-word-essays on your already well established grievances, of course please share.

@Honeybadgers, this is an open forum. If you're not interested or impressed by Gil's reportage, you have the freedom to skip over it - as does anyone else. As long as it's not getting personal and/or defamatory, and doesn't break the rules of the forum in any other respect (which I don't believe to be the case here), he has the right to express his opinions (and experiences) on this thread.

Edited to add: I find these 'snark attacks' *more* frustrating than the posts that give rise to them - they don't add *anything* to the discourse, other than a degree of, well, snarkiness...

Edited by Jamerelbe

@Honeybadgers, this is an open forum. If you're not interested or impressed by Gil's reportage, you have the freedom to skip over it - as does anyone else. As long as it's not getting personal and/or defamatory, and doesn't break the rules of the forum in any other respect (which I don't believe to be the case here), he has the right to express his opinions (and experiences) on this thread.

Edited to add: I find these 'snark attacks' *more* frustrating than the posts that give rise to them - they don't add *anything* to the discourse, other than a degree of, well, snarkiness...

Amen!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Point taken. I thoroughly disagree as I feel it contributes to an overall unwelcoming and unfriendly form of discourse that been getting worse for a while now, but I'll drop it out of courtesy to those of you that it bothers.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Point taken. I thoroughly disagree as I feel it contributes to an overall unwelcoming and unfriendly form of discourse that been getting worse for a while now, but I'll drop it out of courtesy to those of you that it bothers.

Well I for one, and can't believe I'm not the only one, agree with Hb's take on this.

Edited by austinwft

Well I for one, and can't believe I'm not the only one, that agrees with Hb's take on this.

I'm sure you're not the only one who agrees with Hb - but in an open forum you'll always get a wide range of opinions on what's useful commentary and what's not. I'm nowhere near as fussy as @A Smug Dill about line width, pristine pen boxes etc, but have found it interesting to follow his attempts to take advantage of Parker's nib exchange program. You could argue that he should have created his own thread for that purpose, and you might have a point - but unless someone is breaking the rules of the forum, I think we do better to live and let live...

I don't always find myself agreeing with all of @HB's posts but on this one - I'm with @HB and empathise with the OP @katerchen as his thread has now deviated from Amazon's pricing to Parker's alleged failings in their QC and customer service.

I do appreciate @ASD's input and time taken to critique every single aspect of the products he's purchased, but I feel that this purpose is better served in its dedicated space in the Parker sub forum. I'll stop here.

Edited: for missing punctuations.

Edited by MalcLee

Let's not let this degrade into yet another tangent. This isn't "us vs them" and treating it like that will just foster resentment over something as pointless and silly as this. I respect Lloyd and Jamerelbe's points of view. I value a lot of what Gil has to say, he just does occasionally take tangential ideas and really run a thread into the ground with them. His points are still completely valid, I just think they tend to become so long and detailed that they should be entire threads on their own, started by him. That was my only point, and it's not worth starting a fight over.

Let's just move on. This isn't productive in any way.

Edited by Honeybadgers

• 3 weeks later...

I received my Parker Centennial "Big Red" from Amazon yesterday and was disappointed to find the pen in a small cardboard box that had been sealed in a plastic bag and popped into a mailing box with no bubble wrap or other padding. I am worried that this is a fake. What type of packaging did yours arrive in? I have asked for a return as this does not seem like the expensive pen advertised. I would appreciate your thoughts as you all have much more experience with this pen and others. Thank you in advance.

Mine came in the full deal, large bifold box, converter, 2 cartridges, paperwork.

I'd return it and ask for another.

Yes, this is not good. Like Honeybadgers, I received the whole treatment - box, converter, cartridges, etc.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I am worried that this is a fake.

Was it sold (and shipped) by Amazon US?

What type of packaging did yours arrive in?

fpn_1581890724__parker_duofold_gift_box.

Source: iPenstore blog

I have asked for a return as this does not seem like the expensive pen advertised.

Is that on the basis of the manufacturer's retail packaging, or the actual pen?

The retail packaging in which my far more expensive Pilot Capless raden Vanishing Point came wasn't nearly as elaborate or specific to the model.

As for the pen itself, I'd say mine looks the part of a US$250 gold-nibbed pen that is made in Europe with a middle-tier brand name.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That was probably about Pelikan pens sold by AmazonGlobal.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Was it sold (and shipped) by Amazon US?

fpn_1581890724__parker_duofold_gift_box.

Source: iPenstore blog

Is that on the basis of the manufacturer's retail packaging, or the actual pen?

The retail packaging in which my far more expensive Pilot Capless raden Vanishing Point came wasn't nearly as elaborate or specific to the model.

As for the pen itself, I'd say mine looks the part of a US$250 gold-nibbed pen that is made in Europe with a middle-tier brand name.

That's the box I got too.

Complain loudly to Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Big Red with the Fine Nib, still very happy with it since It was delivered from Amazon, a great value - always writes, it fits nicely since most of my pens have either stubs, flex, broad nib

Has anyone come up with an explanation fot the upside-down pricing of this pen, about 40% of the price of the International?

Is it a psychology experiment?

Cheers, and Peace

Adam

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Has anyone come up with an explanation fot the upside-down pricing of this pen, about 40% of the price of the International?

Is it a psychology experiment?

Cheers, and Peace

Adam

Blame Amazon's pricing algorithm. God knows what factors go into that. On thing I do know: there is no catch. It's a legit Duofold Centennial Big Red. I've bought two of them so far and had both sent to France for nib replacement. I now have one with a needle point and one with a fine italic.

…. had both sent to France for nib replacement. I now have one with a needle point and one with a fine italic.

I've had both of those nib replacements myself (on the same pen) from France, and personally I think they both suck for my tastes.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.