Parker Big Red Centennial For $224 On Amazon

katerchen

This is yet another instance of those wildly varying Amazon UK prices. This and *only* this model shows the price above:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BM3TEW8/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_pd_te_o_rp_ti?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01BM3TEW8&pd_rd_r=14WZ344Z9C0CFN8KJ6NK&pd_rd_w=GHbok&pd_rd_wg=ReWbF&pf_rd_p=f7d255ff-d563-4436-bad4-116634ff92b6&pf_rd_r=14WZ344Z9C0CFN8KJ6NK&th=1

Most likely, as soon as someone buys one, it will shoot up.

Worth watching though if you miss out on it : I got the exact same one for about the same price a couple of months ago. As soon as I bought it, went up to 300+

-k

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• Penryn87

• MuddyWaters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This offer is actually from Amazon Prime US. It's been frequently dropping to this price point since June 2019. See the green line:

post-138351-0-37838000-1570434504.png

Always temporarily out of stock at this price, but they will honor this price and ship eventually. That's how I got mine.

Edited by Theroc

I caved. $225 is about the breakpoint I've been wanting to get one of the large duofolds, and I've always liked the red.

Okay, y'all stop posting good deals on pens. I'm broke for now.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Heh Heh...

I have a Big Red Centennial with a broad nib which I have only used twice as it is a bit too broad for daily use on cheap paper. Been contemplating ordering a fine nib unit but due to the high cost I just have not been able to justify this.

Sooo... The price on Amazon (Including delivery and Duties) is a few dollars more than what a nib unit would cost me.

So yes, I have also ordered one, even though I have overspent a bit on pens this year. But this type of deal does not come around often. Way cheaper than even ordering directly from the UK or Europe and excluding the cost of postage from the equation.

And my apologies. A bit rude on my part not also thanking you katerchen for supplying the info on this deal. Much obliged to you.

Yes, prices have climbed since yesterday I see. Significantly as well.

Be sure to double check regarding a converter! According to the listing I just saw the price was $263.00 PLUS $11.96 for a converter!

I get really tired of being nickel and dimed!!

Thanks for posting though.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I so wish I could trust Parker (and other European pens) to deliver a crisp, precise Fine gold nib! I'd even be prepared to pay a bit more than Japanese gold-nibbed pens of 'equivalent' quality for European 'heritage' or 'prestige'. The price is tempting for this pen, but I don't know if I could trust a Parker pen to either write precisely (despite having a Fine nib) or seal effectively against ink drying out when capped. :(

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I so wish I could trust Parker (and other European pens) to deliver a crisp, precise Fine gold nib! I'd even be prepared to pay a bit more than Japanese gold-nibbed pens of 'equivalent' quality for European 'heritage' or 'prestige'. The price is tempting for this pen, but I don't know if I could trust a Parker pen to either write precisely (despite having a Fine nib) or seal effectively against ink drying out when capped. :(

My fine is a solid western fine.

Parker offers free nib exchange within 30 days for 14 different sizes, from OBBB to XXF.

It's also a screwcap, so no dryout issues.

I'm impressed with the fit and finish. It doesn't post deeply enough for me, but the length is solid and it's well balanced.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

In my experience with modern Parkers it's just an if about ink drying out and even when there is some drying out going on it takes close to two months for ink to dry out entirely. Their nibs, especially those of the higher end Parkers, are indeed laying down comparatively thick and wet lines; they do however write precisely.

My only quibble with the current production (France) of the Centennial is the nib engraving. The UK version with arrow quill engraving looked much better, not to mention is iconic Parker.

$223 again Sat 10/12/19 at 10:55 EST

Does anyone know if this pen is the same one found on the Parker Website, $489

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/duofold-classic-big-vintage-red-fountain-pen-with-chrome-trim-fine-nib-1931375--1

or is it this one For $692

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/duofold-classic-big-vintage-red-fountain-pen-with-chrome-trim-fine-nib-1931377--1

Thanka

Parker offers free nib exchange within 30 days for 14 different sizes, from OBBB to XXF.

Thanks. I didn't know about that. I'll have to ring Parker on Monday, though, to find out whether that applies in Australia, especially if I buy a Parker pen sold by Amazon US via Amazon.com.au. The Store Locator facility on Parker's web site pulls up nothing here.

If I'm able to get a EEF nib for the pen, then I'd be seriously interested.

It's also a screwcap, so no dryout issues.

In my experience with modern Parkers it's just an if about ink drying out and even when there is some drying out going on it takes close to two months for ink to dry out entirely.

Two months is not nearly good enough compared to other gold-nibbed, screw-capped Japanese fountain pens. Still, that's better than drying out in under four weeks.

What the hell is wrong with manufacturers who can't machine the threads precisely enough that there is essentially no gap through which air and vapour may escape, with materials such as resin that neither expands with moisture and temperature nor is permeable? :(

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

$223 again Sat 10/12/19 at 10:55 EST

Does anyone know if this pen is the same one found on the Parker Website, $489

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/duofold-classic-big-vintage-red-fountain-pen-with-chrome-trim-fine-nib-1931375--1

or is it this one For $692

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/duofold-classic-big-vintage-red-fountain-pen-with-chrome-trim-fine-nib-1931377--1

Thanka

It is the Centennial size.

The green marbled one is an International, for comparison.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wsBthCKokw6vbkEM9

Hmmm. I just spoke with Parker's official distributor in Australia (Newell Brands), and it seems the nib exchange programme does indeed apply here, although just to be sure I'm sending them a follow-up email to confirm whether Amazon US is considered an authorised dealer for this purpose.

However, in the meantime I see the price has shot back up (because Amazon US doesn't seem to be listed as a seller right now, although chances are it'll come back again in the next so many days) on Amazon Australia for the model, so no matter the answer this will have to wait.

Thanks. I didn't know about that. I'll have to ring Parker on Monday, though, to find out whether that applies in Australia, especially if I buy a Parker pen sold by Amazon US via Amazon.com.au. The Store Locator facility on Parker's web site pulls up nothing here.

If I'm able to get a EEF nib for the pen, then I'd be seriously interested.

Two months is not nearly good enough compared to other gold-nibbed, screw-capped Japanese fountain pens. Still, that's better than drying out in under four weeks.

What the hell is wrong with manufacturers who can't machine the threads precisely enough that there is essentially no gap through which air and vapour may escape, with materials such as resin that neither expands with moisture and temperature nor is permeable? :(

even something like my tactile turn gist, which has no "proper" sealing inner cap, only relying on metal matching metal, and has very coarse threads, but they're cut so precisely the pen just doesn't dry out.

I think the biggest problem parker has is the design of the inner cap on the sonnet having exposure to air. you can blow into its cap.

I can't find a leak in my duofold when I blow into the cap.

Newell Brands in Australia just replied to me in writing to confirm that they recognise Amazon as a reseller of their products.

Now I just have to wait until that low price becomes available again — and before I spend that 'budget' on something else.

Or maybe I'll get the Prestige Ruthenium Chiselled version. Also at almost the lowest price ever, according to camelcamelcamel. However, there are just so many other pens I could buy with that kind of money instead, including makes and models with nibs I know I can trust (such as more colours of the Diplomat Aero)...

Edited by A Smug Dill