Recent Montblanc Cool Color Inks — 2019

Tom Kellie

Tom,

Thank you for the various blue color samples.

I have a new 149 coming in tomorrow with a bottle or MB UltraMarine.

Do you feel UltraMarine could be used in a professional setting or is it too much of a blurple?

Regards,

David

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Intensity

• chromantic

• NeverTapOut

> Tom - While detailed reviews are all well and good, sometimes all you want, as you've done so nicely here, is just to see how the inks look on paper.

You've provided a good starting point for further exploration.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Tom,

Thank you for the various blue color samples.

I have a new 149 coming in tomorrow with a bottle or MB UltraMarine.

Do you feel UltraMarine could be used in a professional setting or is it too much of a blurple?

Regards,

David

~ David:

After a couple of weeks, Montblanc Ultramarine seems consistently to be more blue than purple.

I'd recommend it for professional settings.

The one and only additional comment about Ultramarine is that it took longer to fully flush and rinse than any ink I've ever used.

Nonetheless, no permanent stains appeared on anything.

Montblanc Ultramarine is a high quality ink.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new 149!

Tom K.

> Tom - While detailed reviews are all well and good, sometimes all you want, as you've done so nicely here, is just to see how the inks look on paper.

You've provided a good starting point for further exploration.

~ chromantic:

Thank you so much for your reassuring comment.

My greatest hesitation in FPN is posting any images or comments about inks.

After reading the superb reviews by others, their comprehensive approach leaves little left to show or say.

There are a number of nibs, paper grades and inks on my writing desk, often well worth photographing.

The high standards and occasionally stringent expectations expressed by comments in other reviews has resulted in a measure of hesitation.

Your kind comment helps to address my reticence.

Tom K.

Tom,

This comparison of colors is such a valuable, useful contribution to people wanting to make careful choices. Thank you so much for preparing it.

~ Bobje:

Thank you so much for your kind encouragement.

It helps me to understand that my stripped-down approach is helpful to others.

I may consider a future edition of other inks and colors.

The fountain pen nibs and inks on my writing desk clamor to be used.

Tom K.

Thanks Tom.

~ David:

After a couple of weeks, Montblanc Ultramarine seems consistently to be more blue than purple.

I'd recommend it for professional settings.

The one and only additional comment about Ultramarine is that it took longer to fully flush and rinse than any ink I've ever used.

Nonetheless, no permanent stains appeared on anything.

Montblanc Ultramarine is a high quality ink.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new 149!

Tom K.

Thank You Tom.

I haven't picked up the pen yet...it is still sitting at my office.

My back has been killing me the last couple of weeks. Tried injections...nothing has worked.

I saw the picture you posted coming out of the MB Boutique a few weeks ago. The "childish" grin on your face reminded me of when my boys would come out of a candy store : )

Regards,

David

I haven't picked up the pen yet...it is still sitting at my office.

My back has been killing me the last couple of weeks. Tried injections...nothing has worked.

I saw the picture you posted coming out of the MB Boutique a few weeks ago. The "childish" grin on your face reminded me of when my boys would come out of a candy store : )

~ David:

There is a certain “kid in a candy store” feeling when shopping for fine paper, inks and fountain pens.

I hope that the severe back discomfort will soon recede.

May the next few weeks bring full relief and fresh enjoyment of writing.

Tom K.

Coming in a little late here, sorry, but what a great way to do a review/comparison. Both pleasing and informative. There are several I would not have pulled off the shelf, but you made them desirable. For the record, I like the Lapis and the Petrol the most, I think.

Thanks for the careful work.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who has “Chinese Blue”: does this ink have any water resistance? Would appreciate a quick test. Thinking of getting a bottle, as it looks somewhat similar to my Sailor Ink Studio #241, which I love. Something like big droplets of water on top of well-dried writing, dabbed with a paper towel, to see if there’s much smearing, and whether a legible amount of ink stays on paper.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

For anyone who has “Chinese Blue”: does this ink have any water resistance? Would appreciate a quick test. Thinking of getting a bottle, as it looks somewhat similar to my Sailor Ink Studio #241, which I love. Something like big droplets of water on top of well-dried writing, dabbed with a paper towel, to see if there’s much smearing, and whether a legible amount of ink stays on paper.

I do own both inks and i will do a mini test side by side with the #241, later today.

Oh that would be most appreciatedthank you! #241 has pretty good water resistance despite being a pale ink.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Oh that would be most appreciatedthank you! #241 has pretty good water resistance despite being a pale ink.

Here you are.

Not really water resistant. Either.

Suprisingly, the Montblanc is more lubricated. Not really wetter. Wettness is much tributary to the nib characteristics.

It is also darker than the Sailor.

I compared these inks only in a Pilot ch92 medium nib on Tomoe gawa. Appreciations may change on a different paper or in a different pen.

post-135914-0-17751500-1572630819_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-47908900-1572630859_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-81238800-1572630883_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-50992600-1572630894_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-15642400-1572630905_thumb.jpg

Edited by nibtip

Thank you, that's great--very helpful! I call that sufficient water resistance, in the sense that there's not strong, saturated smearing obscuring the text, as it can happen with very saturated blue inks of Diamine Asa Blue variety, and a sufficient amount of ink is left behind for the original writing to remain legible. Water resistance generally increases over time, to some extent.

I appreciate seeing #241 and Chinese Blue side-by-side. It seems they are indeed very similar in hue range, just with the Montblanc ink being slightly darker and perhaps slightly less green.

Edited by Intensity

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the review! To my eye, the Ultramarine looks too similar to Royal Blue: there seems to be a strong purple component; though not as blurpurply as Royal Blue, it's still there. How similar would Ultramarine be to J Herbin Éclat de saphir and Iroshizuku Asa Gao?

Also, the Egyptian Blue looks like the Unicef Blue. Could it be a replacement? Could it also be compared more to Iroshizuku Kon-Peki or the more gree-leaning Ama-Iro?

Thank you!

• 2 years later...

Hi. I have Seen the colours...thank you. I am just in trouble about which ink i have to bought for my new 149.

Now i have some example. Thanks