Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Vintage Music Nib

sidthecat

So I found a battered, anonymous pen on eBay and, because I look for interesting nibs, I took a close look at the business end. What I saw was a dirty and ink-stained Warranted nib: a Music Nib.

It wasnt cheap (by my lights) but they usually go for a lot more.

When it gets here Ill see if it still works, and if it does I may drop it into one of my ringtops.

Fingers crossed.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• Honeybadgers

• OCArt

• Addertooth

My fingers are crossed for you too!

"It's funny; in this era of email and voice mail and all those things that I did not even grow up with, a plain old paper letter takes on amazing intimacy."  Elizabeth Kostova

Its here, and a very interesting thing it is. A very bold writer, but more graceful than the Platinum pen with a similar nib. I tuned it slightly - its very flexible, which mostly registers as bounce, and its particularly interesting as a drawing nib. Ill have to see if it will fit in any of my ringtops...maybe an ancient Parker I have in the closet.

Have a look:

fpn_1570513413__musicnib.jpg

There’s a bunch of them up on eBay for comparable prices. I shall stop whining about paying fifty bucks for a nib.

:thumbup:

I often tell folks to chase the nib....as you have done.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

RIP...200's once great nib, now a double ball.:crybaby::wallbash:

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

inkstainedruth

I sumgai'd a no-name lever filler with a 14C music nib a few years ago. Turned out the nib was worth five times what I paid for the pen. :huh: The pen was not salvageable, as it turned out, but Ron Zorn put the nib and feed into a Parker Parkette he was rehabbing.

I now know why people go crazy over nibs like that. It's a lovely writer.

Congratulations on your eBay find.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Honeybadgers

I'm jealous, I just dropped $90 on a rotring 900 FP and I really love it (it's REALLY well made and the EF is a japanese EF) but I'd take that vintage MS in a heartbeat.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I bought a Platinum with a music nib some years ago and found it coarse and unyielding...it's still in the house somewhere. This is a different animal altogether.

I bought a Platinum with a music nib some years ago and found it coarse and unyielding...it's still in the house somewhere. This is a different animal altogether.

If you want to get rid of the platinum nib for $60, I'll buy it :P

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)