You Know You've Exceeded The Fountain Pen Limit When....

markh

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• sirgilbert357

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you need to repurpose another cigar box as a pen case because the ones you have are not enough.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

... never mind the better, >$50 pens you have been too busy to get around to inking, flushing/prepping or even just unboxing, but ...

... these cheaper pens are taking up space in your drawer, never inked, and you don't have any idea if you will use them, what to use them for, or who to give them to:

fpn_1570080304__never-inked_surplus_pens

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

you have so many pens that you stop appreciating what you already have. . .

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

... never mind the better, >$50 pens you have been too busy to get around to inking, flushing/prepping or even just unboxing, but ...

... these cheaper pens are taking up space in your drawer, never inked, and you don't have any idea if you will use them, what to use them for, or who to give them to:

fpn_1570080304__never-inked_surplus_pens

This makes me feel so much better about myself. L o L.

I think I can buy some more pens, after all I don't have as many as I thought.

... you have enough free and clean pens so you can relax and wait until December to fill one pen a day with the ink of the day from Diamine's Inkvent calendar.

Now available, according to the email I got from Goulet Pens today!

You have your pens delivered to your office...because you haven't figured out how to tell the spouse you bought another one... I'll think of something though. ;)

Like this one!

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

You need to keep a computer-based list to know which inks are in which pens

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Been there done that with a different commodity once. Got caught, suffered the severe tongue lashing, and learned from my mistake.

Notice I said 'once'. Tampering with spousal trust is NOT a good idea.

Been there done that with a different commodity once. Got caught, suffered the severe tongue lashing, and learned from my mistake.

Notice I said 'once'. Tampering with spousal trust is NOT a good idea.

In my case, the pen was ordered with credit card rewards points, so it actually doesn't impact our cash flow at all. If I told her, she would just roll her eyes. Still, I think I'll wait till Christmas to allow it to be seen around the house. Oh look, Merry Christmas to me! LOL.

And I just ordered another one today...so, looks like I'm getting TWO pens for Christmas! :D

I'm done for awhile now...maybe for a LONG while...

Edited by sirgilbert357

when you have to wrap you pen as a Christmas gift, write your spouse's name as the giver and wait until the Christmas tree is up to sneak under it . . .

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

... or worse, when that alone is not enough.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

"You have your pens delivered to your office...because you haven't figured out how to tell the spouse you bought another one... I'll think of something though."

I do this too... I thought it was because this way I'm sure someone's there to receive the parcel.

I'm not quite sure that's the real reason now...

or possibly because the receptionist at the office has not asked me why I keep getting all these parcels... yet

• 2 weeks later...

When you’re embarrassed to go to the local post office, to collect yet another pen delivery.

And, when you decide that your idea for Inktober is to write an essay each day, using the word prompt with a different pen (and ink), and you only open 1 of 4 pen cases.

Fortunately for me, neither money nor the spouse is the limiting factor.

All my purchases and costs are freely disclosed to my ever indulgent spouse who tolerates my love of pens because the alternatives could be much worse.

I get to stay at home, the costs do not impact on our retirement fund and I can't hurt myself.

For me it's the interest factor - does the pen excite my interest due to its design or uniqueness or some other feature. If not, who needs it?

Roughly half of my pens are multiples of Parkers, the other half an eclectic mix of filling systems, finishes, nibs and brands.

What size storage unit? 5x5x8, or 10x10x10 :)

One was a a small cabinet from IKEA, designed to fit under a desk. But it doesn't have casters, the way the two-drawer file cabinets do. So we have to gerryrig something to put casters on it. I bought it several months ago and it still isn't completely assembled (and that's not just with it being from IKEA.... :rolleyes:). And then in June I found an antique spool display cabinet in an antiques mall in Virginia for less than I've ever seen them priced at. So when I was at the Commonwealth Pen Show in September I bought some more of the flocked plastic pen trays.... (The IKEA cabinet was originally for putting the (now six) 24 pen zipper cases in, to get them off one of the 3 shelf Pier 1 bookcases flanking the little writing desk I bought several years ago in a an antiques mall in eastern Indiana....). Oh, and that doesn't count the fact that a lot of recent ink bottle purchases haven't made it to the second floor yet. Plus the ones I brought downstairs to refill pens with. And one of the IKEA boxes originally bought to store ink sample vial trays is ALSO in the lwvingroom because I have to re organize the trays. And two of the six trays doesn't fit in the box at all (which is part of the reason I needed the IKEA cabinet.... Once the box is empty, I might have storage space for for the (finished) Morning Pages) journals -- I've outgrown the (large) IKEA box they were in (which DOESN'T fit on the Pier 1 bookcases) and so about six volumes are stacked up on the floor in the hallway next to the box they don't fit in.... :blush:

Yeah. I'm doomed....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Guilty as charged, your honor....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Equally guilty. I keep mine on Evernote, so it's always at hand, as in on my iPhone.

Just in case I need to look it up in a hurry.....

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890